posture

ShawnB7766

ShawnB7766

Iron
how can i play video games without making my posture worse. my left shoulder is already higher than my right one and i have slight torticollis because of it. my arm is always leaning out to the right to move my mouse. im basically developing fucking scoliosis. are there any chairs to help this or anyway for me to sit better

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
  • +1
cope

• +1
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Deleted member 4671
Yes and do chintucks (30reps morning and evening)
if im wearing one of those things it doesnt matter if my right arm is 1.5 feet away from my main body?

• +1
  • +1
how can i play video games without making my posture worse. my left shoulder is already higher than my right one and i have slight torticollis because of it. my arm is always leaning out to the right to move my mouse. im basically developing fucking scoliosis. are there any chairs to help this or anyway for me to sit better

I work in IT, from home. I use a standing desk, at around elbow height and use a narrow keyboard, and a screen at eye height. That strengthened my calves and improved my hip and upper body posture. It also helped my glutes to stay activated. Gluteal amnesia is caused by sitting and it will vaporise your ass and make your body disgusting.

The key to good posture is good athletic pattern of your control of pelvic tilt. I worked hard on that and here's what worked for me:
[1] standing desk
[2] stretching a few times per week, including some soft tissue work. work on hip flexor flexibility and occasionally do some glute bridges.
[3] deep barbell squat. get some OLY shoes if impingement or limb ratios necessitate it. i don't suggest you to exclusively deep squat, but at least do it and get good at it, and work on reducing butt wink as much as humanly possible. think about it. if you have crap control over pelvic tilt, then you won't generate as much force. and with a deep squat, you've got to control your pelvic tilt, from a standing position, all the way to a deep squat position, and prevent it from being tilted too far anterior or too far posterior.

There are exercises to overall improve posture, like doing face pulls, working on shoulder mobility and rear deltoid strength. I like to occaionally do 10 50m sprints at the park.

Any of the above will help, even in small amounts. You can even just stay conscious of your dexterous control of pelvic tilt constantly, and that alone will fix the movement patterns that are at the root of bad posture. Also, figure out whether your hips and pelvis are looking robust in your natural walking gait. Stretching helps, and you can just become more conscious of it and improve your walking form.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, diggbicc and Deleted member 5892
I work in IT, from home. I use a standing desk, at around elbow height and use a narrow keyboard, and a screen at eye height. That strengthened my calves and improved my hip and upper body posture. It also helped my glutes to stay activated. Gluteal amnesia is caused by sitting and it will vaporise your ass and make your body disgusting.

The key to good posture is good athletic pattern of your control of pelvic tilt. I worked hard on that and here's what worked for me:
[1] standing desk
[2] stretching a few times per week, including some soft tissue work. work on hip flexor flexibility and occasionally do some glute bridges.
[3] deep barbell squat. get some OLY shoes if impingement or limb ratios necessitate it. i don't suggest you to exclusively deep squat, but at least do it and get good at it, and work on reducing butt wink as much as humanly possible. think about it. if you have crap control over pelvic tilt, then you won't generate as much force. and with a deep squat, you've got to control your pelvic tilt, from a standing position, all the way to a deep squat position, and prevent it from being tilted too far anterior or too far posterior.

There are exercises to overall improve posture, like doing face pulls, working on shoulder mobility and rear deltoid strength. I like to occaionally do 10 50m sprints at the park.

Any of the above will help, even in small amounts. You can even just stay conscious of your dexterous control of pelvic tilt constantly, and that alone will fix the movement patterns that are at the root of bad posture.

Like keeping the pelvic tilt anterior or posterior?

• +1

[1] standing desk

Any of the above will help, even in small amounts. You can even just stay conscious of your dexterous control of pelvic tilt constantly, and that alone will fix the movement patterns that are at the root of bad posture. Also, figure out whether your hips and pelvis are looking robust in your natural walking gait. Stretching helps, and you can just become more conscious of it and improve your walking form.
okay thanks a bunch

• +1
Like keeping the pelvic tilt anterior or posterior?
This is just from my experience, but I think there's a sweet spot in the middle. The squat is a good way to analyze this question. What happens when someone first learns barbell squat is that the athlete goes from anterior to posterior pelvic tilt as they go down, and to compensate for the posterior pelvic tilt they often try to maintain more of an anterior pelvic tilt through the entire range of motion. But If you maintain too much of an anterior pelvic tilt, your glutes can't activate as much. It's a lot harder to truly control your pelvis, but it allows you to fully activate the muscles to generate maximal force. And if you can do that, your movement patterns will be correct and the various muscles of the abdominal and oblique area will develop aesthetically. Just for example, if you round your lumbar spine somewhat you can flex your glutes more (I'm not saying that should be done during something like barbell squat). You can also try doing glute ham raise, with feet really widely angled outwards to use the glutes more than the hamstrings, and to really focus on the glutes you can really round your lumbar area a bit.

For some years I sat too much and my glutes were obliterated, so I really worked on glutes and pelvic tilt, and it improved my posture a lot. Another thing is that, to some extent, shoulder mobility affects deep squat form, especially with a barbell.

Another note on "controlling" the pelvis so it's not tilted too far posterior or anterior: Learn to breathe deeply and create tension between your air intake and your diaphragm and lower inner abdominal area muscles. At least in squats, this stabilizes the spine so that you don't need to compensate as much with anterior pelvic tilt. I think the same principle applies to sitting.

Below is a cheap standing desk I put together when I was living in a new location for several months.

IMG 3445

"Controlling" the pelvis really improves appearance, and it will make women like "the way you move" and give you a more robust appearance whether your muscle mass is high or low. If you want to really learn more, check out videos by the more analytical Youtube Powerlifting channels. Controlling the pelvis, when you've had a lifetime to learn dysfunctional movement patterns, requires applying a lot of different tricks continuously until you finally get a "feel" for it. And in my opinion unless you have another approach, it's a lot more fun and interesting to consider the problem from an athletic perspective.

Here's a Youtube video about exactly this topic.

You can also study optimal walking gait.

People in developed countries tend to be unaware of their movement dysfunction, and fixing it will give you a more masculine and confident appearance. If your hip flexors are tight and glutes inactive and pelvic tilt flops from too far anterior to too far posterior, you'll look like you'd be bad at sex, or like you could be pushed over physically. Correcting your pelvic movement patterns will take your mind off of your posture because it will feel natural and "light". It may involve strengthening some muscles, although the real challenge is learning to subconsciously activate them with your nervous system. When you have postural or movement pattern dysfunction, you have to compensate for it and that means that occasionally you kind of have to think about it and decide what kind of compensation to use. And the muscles you use to compensate will fatigue and you'll become conscious of that and have to change your compensation method. So this is a real life hack and for me it improved my life.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and diggbicc
This is just from my experience, but I think there's a sweet spot in the middle. The squat is a good way to analyze this question. What happens when someone first learns barbell squat is that the athlete goes from anterior to posterior pelvic tilt as they go down, and to compensate for the posterior pelvic tilt they often try to maintain more of an anterior pelvic tilt through the entire range of motion. But If you maintain too much of an anterior pelvic tilt, your glutes can't activate as much. It's a lot harder to truly control your pelvis, but it allows you to fully activate the muscles to generate maximal force. And if you can do that, your movement patterns will be correct and the various muscles of the abdominal and oblique area will develop aesthetically. Just for example, if you round your lumbar spine somewhat you can flex your glutes more (I'm not saying that should be done during something like barbell squat). You can also try doing glute ham raise, with feet really widely angled outwards to use the glutes more than the hamstrings, and to really focus on the glutes you can really round your lumbar area a bit.

For some years I sat too much and my glutes were obliterated, so I really worked on glutes and pelvic tilt, and it improved my posture a lot. Another thing is that, to some extent, shoulder mobility affects deep squat form, especially with a barbell.

Another note on "controlling" the pelvis so it's not tilted too far posterior or anterior: Learn to breathe deeply and create tension between your air intake and your diaphragm and lower inner abdominal area muscles. At least in squats, this stabilizes the spine so that you don't need to compensate as much with anterior pelvic tilt. I think the same principle applies to sitting.

Below is a cheap standing desk I put together when I was living in a new location for several months.

View attachment 323063
"Controlling" the pelvis really improves appearance, and it will make women like "the way you move" and give you a more robust appearance whether your muscle mass is high or low. If you want to really learn more, check out videos by the more analytical Youtube Powerlifting channels. Controlling the pelvis, when you've had a lifetime to learn dysfunctional movement patterns, requires applying a lot of different tricks continuously until you finally get a "feel" for it. And in my opinion unless you have another approach, it's a lot more fun and interesting to consider the problem from an athletic perspective.

Here's a Youtube video about exactly this topic.

You can also study optimal walking gait.

People in developed countries tend to be unaware of their movement dysfunction, and fixing it will give you a more masculine and confident appearance. If your hip flexors are tight and glutes inactive and pelvic tilt flops from too far anterior to too far posterior, you'll look like you'd be bad at sex, or like you could be pushed over physically. Correcting your pelvic movement patterns will take your mind off of your posture because it will feel natural and "light". It may involve strengthening some muscles, although the real challenge is learning to subconsciously activate them with your nervous system. When you have postural or movement pattern dysfunction, you have to compensate for it and that means that occasionally you kind of have to think about it and decide what kind of compensation to use. And the muscles you use to compensate will fatigue and you'll become conscious of that and have to change your compensation method. So this is a real life hack and for me it improved my life.

thanks, good reply. i grew up sitting a lot and definitely have the lagging glutes you mention (tho I've been doing heavy squats since HS and have built up legs a bit). any other vids you can recommend to fully fix this and control the pelvis?

i've been sitting more recently during this quarantine and can just tell it's fking up my posture

• +1
video games are such cope. will they ever get uou laid? no.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Deleted member 5258
thanks, good reply. i grew up sitting a lot and definitely have the lagging glutes you mention (tho I've been doing heavy squats since HS and have built up legs a bit). any other vids you can recommend to fully fix this and control the pelvis?

i've been sitting more recently during this quarantine and can just tell it's fking up my posture
Currently my mind doesn't have capacity to recall the good ones. I'll post some here later.

Except for glute development, Bret Contreras is good.

If you've been doing heavy squats, you're probably good, but if you keep sitting all the time, well at least for me no amount of squatting will compensate for that. Standing desk made me tired at first but I loved it after I got used to it.

• +1
Dont play

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and laske.7