Rate my surgeon's plan for my jaw ascension (part 2)

blacksheep

blacksheep

Iron
Hey, I posted another thread in May after I had my first consultation for a jaw surgery: earlier thread + more info on my anatomy

Last time I visited a surgeon my orthodontist recommended me. He was an alright guy, but I still wanted a second opinion by a surgeon that had been mentioned on the forum before (no crazy names jfl, just one in a public hospital in Western Europe).

His plan is basically the same as the previous surgeon: around 6 months of braces, virtual planning 3 weeks before surgery with custom splint, minimally invasive BSSO (lower jaw surgery) with screws and then 6 months of braces post-op. I did feel way more comfortable with the new surgeon. His explanation was more thorough, so was his plan. He made me come in with x-ray photos (that showed I had 2 upper wisdom teeth that were never detected on previous x-rays (??)). The wisdom teeth will be removed during the jaw surgery. The previous doctor just had me open my mouth in office but had no idea of the underlying bone structure or wisdom teeth, so that doesn't feel like he could've calculated his plan well. The new surgeon told me about a potential genioplasty too. Again something the other doctor didn't mention. Before-photos were taken, something the previous doc wasn't interested in.

Price wise both surgeons are pretty similar at first glance, with the only difference being that the second doctor works at a public hospital so health insurance should be giving me a lot more back + no hidden costs.

I'll book a consulatation with my orthodontist asap for the braces. Think she's on vacation now. So until that time, please tell me if this is a solid plan or if I'm overlooking something? Any tips are welcome

• +1
Reactions: shizuku11111
how old r u bro? im dealing with class 2 malocclusion as well, how come braces didnt fix the problem? or they did but u need the surgery as well to push the mandible forward

how old r u bro? im dealing with class 2 malocclusion as well, how come braces didnt fix the problem? or they did but u need the surgery as well to push the mandible forward
Hey, briefly mentioned this in the previous post. I'm currently 19. I've had a complicated orthodontic journey age 10-15 with night retainers and braces. I'm currently still wearing fixed metal wire retainers on the inside of my teeth, so my teeth are perfectly straight. However my jaw shifted around 6mm since. This is very normal. The only way to make your jaw alignment permanent is with jaw surgery.

• +1
Reactions: shizuku11111
Lmao you couldve probably fixed your problems when young very easily orthos really fuck us up to make money

Lmao you couldve probably fixed your problems when young very easily orthos really fuck us up to make money
Agreed, really wish my ortho would've said the words "jaw surgery is the only permanent solution" way earlier, not when my jaw had already shifted again and I complained about it. Now I have to wear braces all pver again and spend another fortune

Agreed, really wish my ortho would've said the words "jaw surgery is the only permanent solution" way earlier, not when my jaw had already shifted again and I complained about it. Now I have to wear braces all pver again and spend another fortune
Nah i mean when you were 10 and wore braces you couldve fixed that shit soo easy without having to wear braces damaging your roots, having to wear a retainer and getting an overbite again orthos instead decide to fuck you up because they make money(no the solution isnt mewing that shits cope)

• +1
Reactions: blacksheep
Nah i mean when you were 10 and wore braces you couldve fixed that shit soo easy without having to wear braces damaging your roots, having to wear a retainer and getting an overbite again orthos instead decide to fuck you up because they make money(no the solution isnt mewing that shits cope)
You are so right. I remember in that period age 10-15 I didn't even know what was happening. I'd come in every few months to her putting a whole other device in my mouth with no explanation what it was for. Like i had a night retainer to stop my jaws from growing in certain directions, than there were gaps that needed to be closed, then my teeth were crooked, 3 devices later night retainers again but different ones. Orthos completely benefit of the fact that parents just want the best for their children so they do whatever the expert says

You are so right. I remember in that period age 10-15 I didn't even know what was happening. I'd come in every few months to her putting a whole other device in my mouth with no explanation what it was for. Like i had a night retainer to stop my jaws from growing in certain directions, than there were gaps that needed to be closed, then my teeth were crooked, 3 devices later night retainers again but different ones. Orthos completely benefit of the fact that parents just want the best for their children so they do whatever the expert says
Literally couldve just given you some mastic gum to chew and you would've gotten way more results and wouldn't have to damage your teeth, also about the surgery now are you sure about removing the teeth, the wisdom teeth result in the least damage when extracted but its still not worth it when you can just expand the jaw also check your maxilla its probably downward rotated would be good if you also rotated ccw definitely check that out

• +1
Literally couldve just given you some mastic gum to chew and you would've gotten way more results and wouldn't have to damage your teeth, also about the surgery now are you sure about removing the teeth, the wisdom teeth result in the least damage when extracted but its still not worth it when you can just expand the jaw also check your maxilla its probably downward rotated would be good if you also rotated ccw definitely check that out
I mean I was pretty recessed as a kid, so I don't think mastic gum would've fixed that lmao. I luckily don't notice any damage to my teeth. I'm lucky with genetically extremely strong teeth, though making myself throw up for big part of my teen years.
My wisdom teeth are super high up which probably explains why they weren't even visible on my last x-ray. Surgeon said it would take another 3 to 4 years for them to come through which could fuck up the alignment of my other teeth. I don't think I wanna be recessed for another 3 years. But maybe you can convince me by telling me what the pros would be of keeping them and expanding the jaw instead.
Could you also send me some pictures of a downward rotated maxilla vs a proper one? So I can compare mine. Was thinking about mentioning ccw to my surgeon at the appointment but I felt too insecure about my skills of explaining what I wanted...

I mean I was pretty recessed as a kid, so I don't think mastic gum would've fixed that lmao. I luckily don't notice any damage to my teeth. I'm lucky with genetically extremely strong teeth, though making myself throw up for big part of my teen years.
My wisdom teeth are super high up which probably explains why they weren't even visible on my last x-ray. Surgeon said it would take another 3 to 4 years for them to come through which could fuck up the alignment of my other teeth. I don't think I wanna be recessed for another 3 years. But maybe you can convince me by telling me what the pros would be of keeping them and expanding the jaw instead.
Could you also send me some pictures of a downward rotated maxilla vs a proper one? So I can compare mine. Was thinking about mentioning ccw to my surgeon at the appointment but I felt too insecure about my skills of explaining what I wanted...
Lack of chewing is what causes reccesion mostly so yea it couldve fixed it as for the maxilla thing

This is a downward grown one caused by lack of chewing (little resistance on the maxilla so it rotated downwards) you can also notice this in starving children.
You can notice this by checking how your under eye support is(bad support= downward grown maxilla), a downward grown maxilla also gives the illusion of a sad facial expression, elongated midface or hooked nose

• +1
Wouldn't say my maxilla looks as bad as the picture. It doesn't curve downward, but it's also not really going forward by much. Just pretty flat actually. In most pictures of good maxilla the maxilla seems to be going almost parallel with the slope of the nose. This is not the case in my profile.
Just listing some things I can see in the picture vs pictures of myself:
- my posture is bad
- idk what they mean with the sloped forehead (every forehead is kinda sloped or more roundishly sloped)
- my palate isn't curved down (it goes up ever so slightly in my x-ray)
- my undereye support isn't great. it can make me look tired and create some hollowing
- i do look sad. idk if it's my maxilla or my will to rope
- my midface is elongated
- and no hooked nose. my nose slopes upwards

Where can I best ask the question whether I need work done on my maxilla? Would my orthodontist be informed about this?

Am I right in assuming you mean getting a bimax with ccw to potentially fix a downward maxilla? Because the surgery I was suggested is not a bimax, but a lower jaw osteotomy. As far as I'm concerned only a bimax can have ccw

Last edited:
Lack of chewing is what causes reccesion mostly so yea it couldve fixed it as for the maxilla thing
View attachment 3068208
This is a downward grown one caused by lack of chewing (little resistance on the maxilla so it rotated downwards) you can also notice this in starving children.
You can notice this by checking how your under eye support is(bad support= downward grown maxilla), a downward grown maxilla also gives the illusion of a sad facial expression, elongated midface or hooked nose
Hey, I asked my orthodontist and she said my lower maxilla is well-developed, however my upper maxilla is on the flatter side. Again, not like the dude in the picture. Just only slightly going forward. She told me it's not her domain so not sure what I can do about it

Just read in a post on the forum that upper maxillary projection is a European trait and uncommon among Congoids. The whole projected lower maxilla with flat upper maxilla issue I have is very typical for Congoids. Guess I just didn't win the gene-lottery for that part of my face (am mixed Congolese and Western European). luckily don't have chimp lips, as described in the same post

Last edited: