Relationship Between Posture and Facial Asymmetry

D

Deleted member 4300

Iron
Having proper posture during development is very important for minimizing facial asymmetry. Conditions that affect your resting head tilt like scoliosis (sideways curvature of the spine) or torticollis (twisting of the neck muscles) are strongly associated with malocclusion and facial asymmetry.

As explained in this study:

"scoliosis has a strong relationship with malocclusion and facial asymmetry. The patients with idiopathic scoliosis showed a high prevalence of facial asymmetry like unilateral Class II malocclusion, upper and lower midline deviation, and unilateral crossbite."

Torticollis

The photo above shows a patient with muscular torticollis. Image A is an example of an abnormal head tilt whereas B is closer to ideal.

Personal Anecdote

I have pretty bad facial asymmetry and when mirroring a full body photo the other day I noticed that my shoulder heights were a bit uneven (mild scoliosis). After reflecting a few more photos I also realized that my resting head tilt was not neutral and is somewhere between image A and B. This may explain my below average facial symmetry. Fortunately most of my asymmetry is in my jaw, which can be fixed during my bimax.

Here are a few examples of "facial scoliosis" being corrected with surgery (more here):

Facial scoliosis

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions (y)

• +1
Reactions: Aero, Strive4greatness, Bergie and 2 others
strong first post.
Do you think this could be potentially fixed with physical therapy? And would it affect the face too? I'm pretty sure I have this slighlty, the uneven shoulders + the face. Though it could be related in some way to the mild pectus incavatus that I have.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11053 and Deleted member 4300
Nigga how have you been here for a year and this is your first post

• JFL
Reactions: Aero, Lux, Deleted member 11053 and 1 other person
strong first post.
Do you think this could be potentially fixed with physical therapy? And would it affect the face too? I'm pretty sure I have this slighlty, the uneven shoulders + the face. Though it could be related in some way to the mild pectus incavatus that I have.

Physical therapy has been shown to help treat mild scoliosis. I doubt correcting your head tilt now will reverse any asymmetric development but it could help prevent any more from occurring and make your head tilt neutral which would be a plus. I recommend getting an x-ray to figure out what exactly is causing your facial asymmetry though. If it's bones you're going to have to get surgery to correct it.

Nigga how have you been here for a year and this is your first post

Lmao I've been too occupied with reading posts and looksmaxxing. Only recently decided to stop lurking :)

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7098 and Hightwolf
What works and not cope?

Lots of the softmaxxes are legit. Here's what I'm currently doing:
  • Gymcelling
  • Leanmaxxing to 8-12% bodyfat for defined face
  • Skincare routine (cleanser, retin-a, vitamin c, moisturizer)
  • Wearing lifts (5'11 to 6'0)
  • Colored contacts
  • Chewing falim/mastic for jaw width
  • Finasteride, minoxidil, and dermarolling to prevent hairloss (better catch it quick)
  • Teeth whitening with strips
  • Proper diet, sleep, and supplements for overall health
There are also other softmaxxes to fix certain falios that don't necessary apply to everyone (ex. stretching routine to fix anterior pelvic tilt)

Surgery is also legit but from looking at examples I've found that it tends to be more successful when used to fix falios rather than create halos (ex. treating an already recessed profile with double jaw surgery vs trying to get hunter eyes with dog shit eye area).

• +1
Reactions: Aero, Deleted member 7098 and Lars
My zygo are asymetric so I have one eyes NeuCT and one PCT + Not same UEE + asymetric nose

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4300
My zygo are asymetric so I have one eyes NeCT and one PCT + Not same UEE + asymetric nose
Yeah the entire left side of my face is more developed but it's mostly my left mandible. I also have a slight ptosis in my left eye, uneven eyebrows, and uneven lips due to the underlying bones being asymmetrical. Hopefully my x-ray will make it clear what the exact issue is and how to fix it

• +1
Reactions: Strive4greatness and Deleted member 9989
Bro I have the same exact issue.
I had scoliosis to the right in my entire life and a very hunched back(kyphosis) which resulted in an asymetrical face.
The right side of my face is well developped but the left side is flat af.
Also my nose and my chin is not alligned.
Recently visited an otho ( and had an X-ray) who suggested wisdom teeth extractions and braces BUT no surgery.
What do you think?

• +1
Bro I have the same exact issue.
I had scoliosis to the right in my entire life and a very hunched back(kyphosis) which resulted in an asymetrical face.
The right side of my face is well developped but the left side is flat af.
Also my nose and my chin is not alligned.
Recently visited an otho ( and had an X-ray) who suggested wisdom teeth extractions and braces BUT no surgery.
What do you think?

Most orthos are extremely bluepilled when it comes to aesthetics (he's probably only considering functionality) so I would consult with a maxillofacial surgeon if your asymmetry is noticeably throwing your appearance off. I can't say for sure since I don't have photos but it sounds like the actual position of your jaw might be crooked if your nose and chin aren't alined. In that case I doubt braces and extractions would fix that unless your asymmetry is due to messed up teeth causing a tilted bite. If it's uneven bone growth then surgery is the best option. I'm getting double jaw surgery anyways to fix recession but improved symmetry will be a nice bonus. If yours is within the normal range, don't bother with surgery unless you're already planning on getting bimax to fix recession.

• +1
Reactions: Strive4greatness
Yeah i am planning to visit a maxillofac surgeon soon.
As far as I know you probably have to wear braces befor DJS if you have malocclusion, which I have.

• +1
  • Gymcelling
  • Colored contacts
  • Finasteride, minoxidil, and dermarolling to prevent hairloss (better catch it quick)
There are also other softmaxxes to fix certain falios that don't necessary apply to everyone (ex. stretching routine to fix anterior pelvic tilt)

Surgery is also legit but from looking at examples I've found that it tends to be more successful when used to fix falios rather than create halos (ex. treating an already recessed profile with double jaw surgery vs trying to get hunter eyes with dog shit eye area).
fellow based greycel what stretching routine to fix anterior pelvic tilt I have a slight one i think

• +1
  • Gymcelling
  • Colored contacts

Which contacts? :)

• +1
fellow based greycel what stretching routine to fix anterior pelvic tilt I have a slight one i think
Here's the daily routine I follow:

I've been doing this for 2 months and have seen a huge improvement. In my case, I noticed a slight height increase (1 cm) since my tilt used to be somewhat extreme

• +1
Reactions: bl0odyme5s