Retin-A increasing sun sensitivity, is it true?

D

Deleted member 685

Kraken
So we already know Retin-A is superior in all ways and if you think alternative skin methods like BHA (which will give you a shitton of pimples the second you get off of it) you're a dumb pathetic worthless nigger that deserves to get shot, but I've heard quite a few people say it increases sun sensitivity.

How much truth is that? I really wanna buy it considering I have horrible pale, pasty and dried out mayo skin

@benignice says so and I believe everything he says regarding skincare

@benignice says so and I believe everything he says regarding skincare
Thanks dude, but don't just blindly follow what I say- do your own research too.
So we already know Retin-A is superior in all ways and if you think alternative skin methods like BHA (which will give you a shitton of pimples the second you get off of it) you're a dumb pathetic worthless nigger that deserves to get shot, but I've heard quite a few people say it increases sun sensitivity.

How much truth is that? I really wanna buy it considering I have horrible pale, pasty and dried out mayo skin
In short:
- Yes retinoids do increase photosensitivity. If you're already wearing sunscreen as you should be, it shouldn't really be a problem though.
- Alternatives like BHAs, niacinamide, azelaic acid etc do work. Sorry bro, they just do.
- A BHA won't give you a shit ton of breakouts if you discontinue use? That depends wholly on your skin.
- If you're already dry, tretinoin is going to make you more dry so just be aware.

• +1
Reactions: SexyMofo, Ethnicsmatter, BeestungLipsTheory and 3 others
Thanks dude, but don't just blindly follow what I say- do your own research too.
You saying this is ironically what makes me believe the things you say even more

You saying this is ironically what makes me believe the things you say even more
Do you mean unironically? Sorry, not sure I understand- I meant what I said.

Do you mean unironically? Sorry, not sure I understand- I meant what I said.
You say this because you realise that you don't know everything and doing more research/getting opinions from others is important

Makes you more credible in my eyes

• +1
Reactions: buflek

In short:
- Yes retinoids do increase photosensitivity. If you're already wearing sunscreen as you should be, it shouldn't really be a problem though.
- Alternatives like BHAs, niacinamide, azelaic acid etc do work. Sorry bro, they just do.
- A BHA won't give you a shit ton of breakouts if you discontinue use? That depends wholly on your skin.
- If you're already dry, tretinoin is going to make you more dry so just be aware.
Funny considering my skin would be full of pimples the second I got off of that crap. I don't see how it sounds like rubbish when it literally removes the natural oils of your skin

Yeah.
Even if I go outside for 30 mins in the sun with no sunscreen my face goes a bit burnt

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 685
I felt on fire everytime my skin touches the sun,

But idgaf because my skin was really good for that short period

Funny considering my skin would be full of pimples the second I got off of that crap. I don't see how it sounds like rubbish when it literally removes the natural oils of your skin
That's because you still have the underlying issue which caused the breakouts in the first place- the BHA was keeping them at bay so once you stopped using it, they came straight back.

You say this because you realise that you don't know everything and doing more research/getting opinions from others is important

Makes you more credible in my eyes
Ah gotcha. Thanks bro.

That's because you still have the underlying issue which caused the breakouts in the first place- the BHA was keeping them at bay so once you stopped using it, they came straight back.

Ah gotcha. Thanks bro.
I didn't have as many pimples before, literally just a few here and there. I took bha cause my mom offered it

Retin-A ..... but I've heard quite a few people say it increases sun sensitivity.
How much truth is that?
It's 100% true. The simple solution. Add sunblock to th daily routine. I use sunnblock every morning now, because I use RetinA/tretinoin every day.
You need to be more watchfull and creafull with sun, on RetinA (for cancer risk, and maybe even spots, and bruning, and maybe even aging the skin with sun exposure). Simple solution. sunblock daily. And don't stay in the sun so much (if you can),,
I really wanna buy it considering I have horrible pale, pasty and dried out mayo skin
With paleness retinA won't help any.
With dried out skin, you really need to watch out using retinA. Especially in the beginning, you might govery flakeyif you don't start out slow and in a correct way.

With RetinA. Use moisterizer 15 minutes before you put it on. It helps to not get falky alot. And the next day/daytime skincare; useplenty moisterizer as well. Keep that skin hydrated, very important (in general, but deffo when on retinA).

paleness. i would bettle with beta-carotene (recently there was sthis great skintone maxxing thread/guide, alot of great info on that. (suntanning is the biggest risk/baddest way to get ride of paleness. Fuck up your skin witth getting wrinkled).
dried skin, I would battle with 1. good layer of moisterizer and on top of that 1 layer of sunblock as a protective canvas.

I didn't have as many pimples before, literally just a few here and there. I took bha cause my mom offered it

Theres absolutely a possibility that you're sensitive to salicylic acid (or one of the other ingredients) which caused the breakouts, or it could just be your skin going through some shit.

And not a single source was given

I know suncreen is good for your collagen but isnt it bad over all? Why is not everyone just always using sunscreen then lol

I know suncreen is good for your collagen but isnt it bad over all? Why is not everyone just always using sunscreen then lol
wdym sunscreen is bad overall?

It's essentially an established fact at this point- you could quite easily find this information yourself but
Retinoid induced photosensitivity (with a bit of proposed mechanisms):
- Photodecomposition and Phototoxicity of Natural Retinoids (2005) Tolleson et al
- Soybean extract showed modulation of retinoic acid-related gene expression of skin and photo-protective effects in keratinocytes (2012) Park et al
- Retinoid associated phototoxicity and photosensitivity (1989) Ferguson and Johnson
- UVA is the major contributor to the photodegradation of tretinoin and isotretinoin: Implications for development of improved pharmaceutical formulations (2008) Tashtoush et al
- Voriconazole- Inducted Retinoid-Like Photosensitivity in Children (2004) Rubenstein, Levy and Metry
- Topical nanostructured lipid carriers/inorganic sunscreen combination for alleviation of all-trans retinoic acid-induced photosensitivity: Box-Behnken design optimization, in vitro and in vivo evaluation. (2019) Asfour, Kassem and Salama
- Tretinoin Nanogel 0.025% Versus Conventional Gel 0.025% in Patients with Acne Vulgaris: A Randomized, Active Controlled, Multicentre, Parallel Group, Phase IV Clinical Trial (2015) Chandrashekhar et al
- Solubility of all-trans retinoic acid in supercritical carbon dioxide (2015) Rosa et al
Hope thats enough for you.

Isn't what bad overall?
And honestly, people should be using sunscreen all the time.

wdym sunscreen is bad overall?

well I don't like putting all kinds of chemicals on my skin, I really wanna know WHAT part of the sunscreen protects your collagen. Also there's multiple types of sunscreen

Isn't what bad overall?
And honestly, people should be using sunscreen all the time.
what if i left my home like 10 times past 2 years lol?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1464 and TsarTsar444
Its probably worse for you generally rather than just your skin honestly.
dont care about myself, let's talk about skin, not about my mental health

I didn't see this comment yesterday or I'd have responded sooner. There's so much to unpack here, fucking hell.
well I don't like putting all kinds of chemicals on my skin
Tough shit. There's chemicals on your skin right now and you don't seem to give much of a shit? Everything is a chemical. From the food you eat to the air you breathe. You are just a bunch of chemicals. I don't know where this epidemic of chemophobia came from, but I'd rather like it to fuck back off.

I really wanna know WHAT part of the sunscreen protects your collagen.
To really oversimplify the whole issue:
-UVA penetrates into skin and causes reactive oxygen species. These reactive oxygen species lead to oxidative stress which fucks up your collagen and elastin. The UV filters in sunscreens absorb UV radiation and stop it getting to your skin, which protects your skin (and therefore the collagen within the skin).

Also there's multiple types of sunscreen
Yes. And? I'm not sure where you were going with this one?