REVIEW: Betelli Elevator Shoes

N

NonVideri

Iron
Recently, I visited the Betelli showroom in Wilanów, curious to explore their selection of elevator shoes. During my visit, a staff member shared that the company had been resold a few years ago while in debt and on the verge of bankruptcy, right before the pandemic hit. Despite these challenges, Betelli has managed to stay afloat, largely by focusing on formal shoes for special occasions, like weddings.

Among their collection — some of which feature questionable fashion designs — there are a few classic gems. One such pair is their monk shoes. However, during my visit, I noticed imperfections in some models, such as a non-functional loop on the back of a pair of Chelsea boots, which raised concerns about their quality control. The staff member assured me that they would report these issues to their Polish factory, which also produces shoes for another well-known brand, Conhpol.

Betelli monks

To further evaluate Betelli’s craftsmanship, I decided to purchase a pair of their elevator boots — the Dino model in a dark reddish-brown color — priced around $150. This is mid-tier pricing for Polish-made shoes. Unfortunately, I learned that this was one of the last pairs in this particular color, as subsequent production runs had been made in a noticeably lighter shade due to inconsistent material sourcing.

First Impressions

At first glance, the Dino boots appear solid. The design is classic, with a rounded toe and minimalist style that won’t easily go out of fashion. They’re also comfortable to wear; while you can feel the height-increasing insert, it’s crafted skillfully enough that running or even dancing in these boots is manageable.

The soles are made of a material called "tuniscus," which mimics the look and feel of leather but is more durable and abrasion-resistant, though less breathable. Paired with thick leather uppers and the height-boosting insert, this combination makes the boots suitable for colder weather, though a bit too warm for use in hot climates. The anti-slip rubber outsoles also provide good traction.

Quality Concerns

Upon closer inspection, the flaws become apparent. The leather upper is quite stiff, and its quality feels mediocre. The tanning is visibly uneven, with different parts of the shoe showing slight variations in hue. It also seems like the tanning process itself is flawed, as the color began fading quickly after just a few wears.

To address the fading, I treated the boots with Saphir MDOR in Rouge Hermes to even out the color and add a reddish tint. While this helped mask the discoloration, it felt like a temporary fix to a deeper material issue.

Final Thoughts

In summary, while Betelli shoes show clear quality control issues, the Dino boots offer a classic design and solid construction at a mid-range price. If you're willing to overlook the material imperfections, they could still be a reasonable choice — especially in the limited field of elevator shoes. Ultimately, it comes down to whether you feel the flaws are acceptable for the price.

• +1
Reactions: TheAnomaly and NZb6Air
+ how many cm?
7cm in this case. I think 7-8cm is the best point for most elevator shoes/boots (which means around 4-5cm of extra elevation compared to a regular shoe). More than that, and the shoe designs start looking weird and unnatural. For loafers, you can't get more than 6cm without them looking weird.

But hey, those few extra centimeters feel pretty good. Personally, I also like the fact that they visually elongate my legs a little bit, which makes them look more proportionate.

Last edited:
  • Woah
Reactions: NZb6Air