Severe class 2 malocclusion (Overbite) and how to correct it.

I made this thread because I have gotten a lot of questions regarding my ascension (which this is a big part of) and because a lot of people don’t realize the difference between a recessed chin and an overbite. Causing them to think they need a sliding genio when in reality they just have an overbite.

A weak chin bone can only be corrected with surgery, an overbite on the other hand can be fixed with basic orthodontics.

If your bottom teeth are significantly behind your top teeth, you have an overbite, whether the malocclusion is light or severe depends on how many millimeters the lower teeth are from the top.

This causes a recessed/overly set-back mandible which in return causes numerous fuckups such as airway interference, jaw pain, hides the lower mandible/ramus, and objectively just looks fucking terrible / will make your face look like shit regardless of what other good features you have.

If your overbite is severe, the orthodontist typically will either give you a Herbst or Forsus appliance. If your overbite is less severe they will typically give you elastics. Elastics can potentially pull down your lower maxilla over long periods of time (varies from person to person) but if it’s for just a short period I recommend wearing 2 elastics in each side for quicker results.

Attached are some informational photos and a video illustration of a Forsus appliance correcting an overbite.

I have already posted numerous photos of my ascension which this is a large factor in so go check those out on other threads if you want.

Last thing is that I am not entirely sure about pricing, my parents payed for my treatment but I’m sure that insurance covers it because it is a health complication, not just an aesthetic looksmin.

Attachments

• IMG_8088.png
    IMG_8088.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8091.png
    IMG_8091.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8092.png
    IMG_8092.png
    463 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7627.jpeg
    IMG_7627.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 4f8f0e9b7a394f9c832a7664d0e14128.mov
    3.2 MB
  • +1
Reactions: shizuku11111 and 97baHater
mirin the ascension as always, do you think it's worth saying to your ortho a forsus appliance/ Herbst even if the overbite is not severe? I don't want my maxilla to be pulled down.

Reacts pls

1JFL  100 calories

• JFL
Reactions: sayi
mirin the ascension as always, do you think it's worth saying to your ortho a forsus appliance/ Herbst even if the overbite is not severe? I don't want my maxilla to be pulled down.
If it’s only for 4-5 months I heavily doubt anything will be done to your maxilla. Elastics are more practical for less severe malocclusions because they are way cheaper and those less severe overbites don’t take very long to correct.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: 97baHater
are u sure? i feel like bands recess maxilla giga hard

are u sure? i feel like bands recess maxilla giga hard
No, they barely pull down on it. But they will still pull down on it over long periods of time which is why appliances are typically used for more severe cases which take longer to correct.

i have class 2 malocclusion, im 17 and late puberty guy, my mandible is recessed i think beacuse of my overbite, or looks recessed idk tbh, do you think elastics will be able to fix it, malocclusion isnt severe but it isnt mild as well, its something in the middle