The Grim Reality of Growing Up: Why Nostalgia Feels More Like Pain

illusivespirits

illusivespirits

Spectral Aura
Tags (@i_love_roosters)

The sole reason I decided to make this in a thread is because of character limit in comments that I was going to post on roosters profile and it all was due to his avatar that struck me in a very weird mixture of emotions.

I basically made somewhat of a life story from my view and mixed it with how it's reflected to other in most similar if not the same cases and what we all generations are going through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(The starting point was a follow up to another message but I will put a more in depth description right under or if you want you can just start and it will make sense)

( in the starting point to make it more sense I am discussing about "skype" as being one of the nostalgic points I got to look over since years, but specifically the "ringtone" which was the biggest kicker for me. This will tie in with how I talk about the overall aspect of "nostalgia" and with the contrast of today's world)

This made me feel really sad but weird at the same time

It's such a comforting yet eerie sound listening back to the original ringtone for skype in 2024.

Feels like a ghost town full of various memories.

I miss playing the entire weekend with the bros from 6-7am all the way to midnight and meanwhile eating slop.

I still remember the last day I used skype which was in early 2017. I found out about discord that year but it was never the same after a good amount of years passed.

it felt like waking up with the birds chirping and the nostalgic owl sound you hear on certain videos relating to the topic of "nostalgia". I felt inner peace and never had hatred to myself.

I had a damn purpose to wake up early and I would feel energetic whenever I did. It was to primarly hang out with friends through skype all day to play games while talking about life and at times plan a meetup irl.

In contrast with how it is now ever since late 2019-2020 it's just grim.

I sleep in without having excitement about the day. I have no irl friends because I had to move to a different place for 4 years and return back in 2023.

I still know their socials but it doesn't feel the same. The spark isn't there anymore like how it used to be. When I got to see what they were up to 4 years later, it looks like they drifted to the tiktok thrift fashion and started doing drugs to have this new "persona" on them to fit in with the trend. I definitely think they know something about blackpill as well from when it became mainstream in 2023. They would definitely have that judgement on me whether it be jealousy or knowing they "mog" me and their ego is in check.

It's like a mixture of them feeling like a stranger to me now, yet I still remember the old times I got to experience with them so I can't comprehend having the two together.

I know a part of it is growing up but damn this isn't what I visioned in any way. Even myself and I can't put a blame on anyone for this.

It really only gets to you when you think of something that really stuck with you with good healthy times spent together. Skype was one of them, and this is the first time I am putting it together with todays world. As thinking about it for a short amount of time it shocked me so I decided for some reason to write my thoughts here.

It's like I opened my third eye and I can see past the disgusting bullshit of a mess us gen-z and the newer generation have to live through. Even millenials too so don't get me wrong.

I am still grateful for the childhood I got to experience in my very early toddler to early teen days.

But damn did it really have to turn out this way. From most being creative and having their own thing about them to now acquiring this "ideal" characteristic look and act due to social media and irl pressure from others, in other terms "NPC" because that's what you start to notice about everyone having the same "skin" (in gamer terms).

Those people that already were brought into this lifestyle won't see it as truly "dark" unless they have went through something in their life that made such a huge contrast in a few year span.

I think a vast amount of people have started to accept knowing those times will never come back and nothing new will ever be close to experiencing those moments that were once fulfilled with absoulute freedom and joy.

Social media has pushed it so far and will only continue of putting out trends that are very similar to each other but either in a more deranged way or just typical "brain rot" that we sum it up as.

No amount of video game or movie will feel the same as it once was because subconsciously your mind will compare it with todays society and it will start leading you to feel like shit because as I mentioned with the "third eye" you are exposed to how truly worse the world has become in certain ways.

Most nostalgia hits you with a mixture of sadness or anger rather than you looking over it and just feeling happiness. And whyyyy??? That's because for the first solid few minutes you really think about how the world has gone to shit in some way or form.

Doesn't matter if you read it or not I had to let it out because this modern shit is just awful as fuck to look at. It just mostly really takes a roll when I go through a memory I never got look over again for a long time

• +1
  • Love it
  • JFL
Reactions: Doomer, Kaari, i_love_roosters and 1 other person
What a manchild OP is

• +1
  • WTF
  • JFL
Reactions: Kaari, i_love_roosters and illusivespirits
If I was colorblind I wouldn't be able to read this thread because there's color

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Kaari and illusivespirits
Are you on light mode?:feelskek:
No but I mean if I was colorblind I wouldn't be able to see the letters because color people can't see color. It would be like a blank screen

• +1
Bro you're actually such a good writer. You made a very enjoyable to read thread but some parts hit a bit too hard :feelsbadman:. I still use Skype btw, everyday actually :cool:. Been using it since 2008 :cool:

• Love it
  • +1