The hedonic treadmill & it's relation to a happy life.

0hMan

0hMan

germano-gaelic gaunche - modcel
Staff
The hedonic treadmill and the solution to living a happy life.
Have resilient neurotransmitters and make slow hedonistic improvements to your life.

You're obviously not going to be happy if your life simply sucks. If you're a homeless truecel from birth to death then you can pretty much guarantee quite a bit of suffering.

However, you're not going to appreciate the quality of your life if you have been raised to be rich, good looking, respected, etc all throughout your life. You will get bored of it. This is known as the hedonic treadmill. Your dopamine receptors will be desensitized to these things as you begin to take them for granted.

So what's the way to have a happy life? Starting from a low point where you crave respect, affection, validation, good looks, wealth, etc, because you don't have these things. You should start without these things and slowly begin to acquire them throughout the years. This means that your dopamine receptors will constantly be experiencing something new and will not quickly succumb to the hedonic treadmill.

Take this guy for example - Dan Bilzerian.

He's a famous poker player, and lives an extremely hedonistic lifestyle. You may think Dan Bilzerian has an amazing lifestyle but he himself has said he is completely desensitized to everything in his lifestyle - abundant women, sex, expensive cars and mansions, etc. He's squeezed these things of all the happiness they can give him, and since he's basically at the top and can't go anywhere from here, he's doomed to be caught on the hedonic treadmill. His only hope is to intermittently do a dopamine fast by spending months in a forest or something, but for him, that would probably be the equivalent of a month long meth comedown due to the down-regulation he has caused his dopamine receptors.

This is another reason why I actually believe it's better to be a late bloomer. These things - affection and validation - that you were denied throughout your youth, are much more satisfying if experiencing it for the first time at 20, than it is for some gigachad from birth, who probably started kissing girls at 6 years old, and took these things for granted from the very beginning, not getting much of a rush out of them.

The tricky part is, of course, maintaining happiness whilst craving these things. That's where any criticism of this thread will most likely come from. You need strong mental resilience and good coping mechanisms. I was truecel tier all throughout primary school and high school but I wasn't depressed during this time because I was completely happy playing video games 8 hours a day. There was certainly a part of me that longed for these things that were missing in my life but I was fairly complacent because I was quite sure that I would have these things in the future. And you could blame the blackpill for your own misery, but I was already basically as blackpilled back then as I am now. It was always obvious to me that looks are extremely important, so I don't see how blackpill could have changed that.

This isn't a "how to be happy" thread, as I understand that some people will obsess over whatever they aren't able to get, and will always find misery in that, and that's understandable. This is merely a thread to show what I think is the ideal life cycle in order to maximise happiness, fulfilment and hedonistic utility.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: micropp, ThanksForTheHGHMom, the MOUSE and 20 others
legit thread, i went from invisible to visible while growing up and it's fucking happiness​

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Kristin, 𝔻𝔸𝕎ℕ 𝕆𝔽 𝕂ℍ𝔸L and thecel
  • +1
Reactions: thecel
i still need to wait 2 years

i still need to wait 2 years
For what? Honestly, I don't like you, I think you're a complete retard normie actually. But you're very good looking, I don't even understand why you're on here.

Meaning? How so?
because I was fat until 17, when I lost weight I found out i'm not ugly and once I achieved what I didn't have (female attention) it was like doing a powerful drug. but now, 4 years later, even though i still appreciate female attention from time to time, it's not even close to before.​

• +1
Reactions: BrahminBoss, 𝔻𝔸𝕎ℕ 𝕆𝔽 𝕂ℍ𝔸L and 0hMan
For what? Honestly, I don't like you, I think you're a complete retard normie actually. But you're very good looking, I don't even understand why you're on here.
cuz im retarded i dont know people dont want to be with me when i start talking i spout some bs all the time and i cant even stop it

because I was fat until 17, when I lost weight I found out i'm not ugly and once I achieved what I didn't have (female attention) it was like doing a powerful drug. but now, 4 years later, even though i still appreciate female attention from time to time, it's not even close to before.​
I was never really fat, but I really ascended a lot from when I first started. Girls online think I'm attractive.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 28927
cuz im retarded i dont know people dont want to be with me when i start talking i spout some bs all the time and i cant even stop it
How so?

I was never really fat, but I really ascended a lot from when I first started. Girls online think I'm attractive.
you have probably seen my face, since you glowies can sneak into private dms​

people percieve me as an autist maybe i really am idk
I don't know. Based on what I know of you (which is not much), I'd say you're retarded rather than autistic. I don't know though, I don't know much of you to judge yet.

I don't know. Based on what I know of you (which is not much), I'd say you're retarded rather than autistic. I don't know though, I don't know much of you to judge yet.
same shit retarded autistic im both dw

• +1
Reactions: thecel
Good shit

• Love it
Reactions: 0hMan
It's not. Mental retardation is quite far from aspergers.
i have aspergers but no saint type shit memory or anything

• Woah
i have aspergers but no saint type shit memory or anything
Hm. I think you might just be aspie. Based off of your location, English isn't your first language, so me judging you being retarded based off your speaking style wasn't very fair. Welcome to .org, fellow aspie chad (except I'm not chad).

• Love it
Reactions: Samsepioler
Hm. I think you might just be aspie. Based off of your location, English isn't your first language, so me judging you being retarded based off your speaking style wasn't very fair. Welcome to .org, fellow aspie chad (except I'm not chad).
Yeah im caucasian male

Yeah im caucasian male
You legit look model tier in this image TBH.

All you need is better mouth area + better skin and you'd be easily high chadlite.

Have resilient neurotransmitters and make slow hedonistic improvements to your life.

You're obviously not going to be happy if your life simply sucks. If you're a homeless truecel from birth to death then you can pretty much guarantee quite a bit of suffering.

However, you're not going to appreciate the quality of your life if you have been raised to be rich, good looking, respected, etc all throughout your life. You will get bored of it. This is known as the hedonic treadmill. Your dopamine receptors will be desensitized to these things as you begin to take them for granted.

So what's the way to have a happy life? Starting from a low point where you crave respect, affection, validation, good looks, wealth, etc, because you don't have these things. You should start without these things and slowly begin to acquire them throughout the years. This means that your dopamine receptors will constantly be experiencing something new and will not quickly succumb to the hedonic treadmill.

View attachment 2575462

He's a famous poker player, and lives an extremely hedonistic lifestyle. You may think Dan Bilzerian has an amazing lifestyle but he himself has said he is completely desensitized to everything in his lifestyle - abundant women, sex, expensive cars and mansions, etc. He's squeezed these things of all the happiness they can give him, and since he's basically at the top and can't go anywhere from here, he's doomed to be caught on the hedonic treadmill. His only hope is to intermittently do a dopamine fast by spending months in a forest or something, but for him, that would probably be the equivalent of a month long meth comedown due to the down-regulation he has caused his dopamine receptors.

This is another reason why I actually believe it's better to be a late bloomer. These things - affection and validation - that you were denied throughout your youth, are much more satisfying if experiencing it for the first time at 20, than it is for some gigachad from birth, who probably started kissing girls at 6 years old, and took these things for granted from the very beginning, not getting much of a rush out of them.

The tricky part is, of course, maintaining happiness whilst craving these things. That's where any criticism of this thread will most likely come from. You need strong mental resilience and good coping mechanisms. I was truecel tier all throughout primary school and high school but I wasn't depressed during this time because I was completely happy playing video games 8 hours a day. There was certainly a part of me that longed for these things that were missing in my life but I was fairly complacent because I was quite sure that I would have these things in the future. And you could blame the blackpill for your own misery, but I was already basically as blackpilled back then as I am now. It was always obvious to me that looks are extremely important, so I don't see how blackpill could have changed that.

This isn't a "how to be happy" thread, as I understand that some people will obsess over whatever they aren't able to get, and will always find misery in that, and that's understandable. This is merely a thread to show what I think is the ideal life cycle in order to maximise happiness, fulfilment and hedonistic utility.
Your dopaminergic system isn't used to the new pleasurable activity so you enjoy it a whole lot more and that makes a lot of sense. Mental resilience and positive coping mechanisms are extremely valuable and I'm trying to work on improving those. Great thread and hope to see more of them like this.

• +1
Reactions: horizontallytall
it's all about adapting to your circumstances and enjoying suffering if that's all you experience. people who are desperately afraid of losing their happiness and place in society should kill themselves. i will squat in their abandoned homes, eat their food, and extract their valuables.

dan bilzerian is an unimaginative retard, all that wealth and he hasn't killed a single person yet. the hedonic treadmill only affects dummies

happiness = having problems that fulfill you

wheres ur sig from jfl

beautiful post

View attachment 2575462

Yeah this happened to me makes it worth the wild for sure op

• Woah
Exactly i grew from 5'8 to 6'2 and preferably will reach 6'3.5 i was very enthusiastic about height 2 years back now nothing feels good even after achieving it, it was such a huge goal for me

• Woah
Reactions: the MOUSE