• IMG_3864.jpeg
    IMG_3864.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 0
  • +1
Reactions: sb23 and NZb6Air
@RealSurgerymax is this true?

Tell your redditor to type VRO on pubmed

Is it true?

In all cases the vertical ramus and ramus/condyle unit height loss were successfully reconstructed by distraction osteogenesis. There was no relapse in the amount of height gained by distraction osteogenesis at the 24 months follow-up review (p > 0.05).

Acute one stage vertical lengthening of the mandibular ramus is considered to be one of the least stable musculoskeletal procedures with relapse being a significant adverse outcome.

Vertical ramus distraction osteogenesis would necessitate a mma procedure afterwards to downgraft the lefort 1 area to match the vertical increase of the ramus and to correct the bite left by the vrdo. While the skin of the ramus/lower jaw would slowly grow in addition to the bone in the lower jaw the downgraft would be required so that your teeth actually touch and you have a bite, but no skin would magically be created. This would completely flatten your philtrum/upper lip contour and i dont see a way to avoid that (if even the flat region is long enough that you have lip seal after).

As to the feasability of the procedure, I bet you could get celal to do it for you if you were willing to live in instanbul for the duration of the procedure (6+ weeks). However I think it would not be ideal in 99% of cases and liam would not let you do that. It is not removeable like jaw implants are and just because it is bone does not mean it cant look uncanny (naturalistic fallacy). I think some people try to compansate for a downgrown nose to have an even larger lower thiurd that completely doesnt harmonize wuith their eye shape/gives them minecraft steve look. I think its not the play unless one is completely hypoplastic and most of the times subtle change with jaw angles and praying not to get dehiscence is a better option if the ramus is really the issue.