Tips for self learning calculus or other high level math?

D

Deleted member 11126

Kraken
My professor speaks hardly any English and I can't understand a dam word she says any tips for self learning this stuff?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: HerpDerpson, Growth Plate, Danish_Retard and 4 others
Khan academy, there are /sci/ tutorials on 4chan as well.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Growth Plate, Danish_Retard, Sexually Disabled and 1 other person
studying every day

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg and Deleted member 11126
Khan academy, there are /sci/ tutorials on 4chan as well.
Yeah Khan academy is a godsend. Seriously proves to me how dumb education system is it cost 80 million to make that service free teachers get billions in funding

Is your profile from the show "Toradora"?

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
prof leonard if you can handle the mog

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13787, Deleted member 5892, Deleted member 14693 and 4 others
studying every day
Yeah with most subjects you can BS it the last week but even if your smart if you try that in any STEM class you will fail everything builds on itself

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard and ChristianChad
My professor speaks hardly any English and I can't understand a dam word she says any tips for self learning this stuff?

Calculas is night mare difficulty

• +1
Reactions: Bakin donuts 🍩 and Deleted member 11126
Yeah I wish my teacher spoke english

Why would they allow a teacher who doesn't speak proper english to teach in a fucking class room jesus

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Merćer, Growth Plate, Danish_Retard and 4 others
Why would they allow a teacher who doesn't speak proper english to teach in a fucking class room jesus
Its an online CC class on one hand its dirt cheap I guess you get what you pay for... I will be transferring hopefully soon

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
Are u in college/university
U Try to switch professors
Khan academy
Checkout apostol (great book that covers ab and bc I used it in hs)
Most importantly if u know the fundamentals of algebra and pre calc you should be able to follow along fairly easily as long as u literally can’t understand ur professor

• +1
Reactions: Growth Plate and Deleted member 11126
Are u in college/university
U Try to switch professors
Khan academy
Checkout apostol (great book that covers ab and bc I used it in hs)
Most importantly if u know the fundamentals of algebra and pre calc you should be able to follow along fairly easily as long as u literally can’t understand ur professor
It's a CC class not many options sadly... I can follow a word per sentence tbh lol

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15089
Wolfram alpha. Are you having problems with derivatives?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11126
Chad never studys . The foids let him cheat off them .

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14693 and edodalic29
  • JFL
Reactions: Growth Plate and Sexually Disabled
prof leonard if you can handle the mog
Screenshot 2022 06 21 at 210429

Practice problems

• +1
Reactions: Growth Plate and Sexually Disabled
"You can learn whatever you want by studying 20 minutes a day" is a fucking lie. If you're serious about learning a new skill you should be committed to spend a considerable amount of time in it per day. I would say studying 4 hours a day is reasonable (depending on if this is the only you're studying for)

"You can learn whatever you want through YouTube" is another fucking lie that will slow you down considerably. YouTube videos are designed to make the video creator rich thus quality is often thrown out the window.

I recommend that you go to a library pick up a textbook. Learn the concepts and practice as many questions regarding the topic you're learning. What most (idiots) people do when studying is rely on intuitive through rote memorisation in order to solve a problem, you don't want to do this when you study. First of all you need to create a hypothesis on how you solve a certain question (lets say algebra), you then apply that hypothesis to solve the algebra questions. When you check the answers you need to analyse if you're hypothesis was correct in solving the answers and if it wasn't you need to tweak it before moving onto the next question to retest the new hypothesis. Keep on revaluating you're hypothesis until you have mastered you're skill. Write down you're insights from your finalise hypothesis as your notes.

Also if your professor can't speak English you need to report that shit because wtf :lul:.

Although it isn't really necessary for self-learning I write essays instead of notes because I find that over the long run it prepares you for writing actual essays so much easier.

• +1
Reactions: Growth Plate and Deleted member 11126
She probaly has a power point that you can read or just look at the math she writing. Or get a math book

"You can learn whatever you want by studying 20 minutes a day" is a fucking lie. If you're serious about learning a new skill you should be committed to spend a considerable amount of time in it per day. I would say studying 4 hours a day is reasonable (depending on if this is the only you're studying for)

"You can learn whatever you want through YouTube" is another fucking lie that will slow you down considerably. YouTube videos are designed to make the video creator rich thus quality is often thrown out the window.

I recommend that you go to a library pick up a textbook. Learn the concepts and practice as many questions regarding the topic you're learning. What most (idiots) people do when studying is rely on intuitive through rote memorisation in order to solve a problem, you don't want to do this when you study. First of all you need to create a hypothesis on how you solve a certain question (lets say algebra), you then apply that hypothesis to solve the algebra questions. When you check the answers you need to analyse if you're hypothesis was correct in solving the answers and if it wasn't you need to tweak it before moving onto the next question to retest the new hypothesis. Keep on revaluating you're hypothesis until you have mastered you're skill. Write down you're insights from your finalise hypothesis as your notes.

Also if your professor can't speak English you need to report that shit because wtf :lul:.

Although it isn't really necessary for self-learning I write essays instead of notes because I find that over the long run it prepares you for writing actual essays so much easier.
Yeah math really isn't something you should memorize you learn it by figuring out questions.

I've always hated math teachers who try to make you memorize things. If you understand a fundemental you can reverse engineer a question and figure out a lot more questions then you could by memorizing a method

>calculus
>High level math

• +1
Reactions: hebbewem and Growth Plate
Depends on your curriculum
College level or HS mathematics just take a look at official syllabus and go subtopic by subtopic trying to understand using the prescribed textbook and problems, if you don't understand a specific subtopic ask the prof or look it up on YouTube or ask a friend, repeat etc

Yeah math really isn't something you should memorize you learn it by figuring out questions.

I've always hated math teachers who try to make you memorize things. If you understand a fundemental you can reverse engineer a question and figure out a lot more questions then you could by memorizing a method
Fundamentally, maths is multiplication, division, addition and subtraction (multiplication and division are just a form of subtraction and addition).

The more complex forms of maths all build on this foundation to come to it's conclusions.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11126 and Growth Plate
Grab the book, be high IQ, read the theory and solve the exercises.

• +1

12+ hours a day for a couple of years is what took some high IQ dude to become a poker pro, and in my experience, if you want to learn something properly, you got to immerse on it, all your time and more.

• +1
Reactions: Toth's thot, Sexually Disabled and Growth Plate
Fundamentally, maths is multiplication, division, addition and subtraction (multiplication and division are just a form of subtraction and addition).

The more complex forms of maths all build on this foundation to come to it's conclusions.
Yeah sometimes I wonder if I should go back to basics. Because the way I was taught math as a kid was really bad.

Its an online CC class on one hand its dirt cheap I guess you get what you pay for... I will be transferring hopefully soon

Why would you taken an online class at all tbqh there accreditations dont account for shit unless its directly published by a accredited uni

• +1
Understand the principles being taught. Ask someone, either youtube or classmate to explain it like they were explaining it to a child. And then practice practice practice till you understand and you can teach it to someone brand new.

Boom. Gl

• +1
Why would you taken an online class at all tbqh there accreditations dont account for shit unless its directly published by a accredited uni
On transferology the credits went through to the school I want to go to. Its like 7X cheaper per credit hour also.

On transferology the credits went through to the school I want to go to. Its like 7X cheaper per credit hour also.

Is this equivalent to ucas points in the uk? Also they allow you to do that shit? Fuck i wanna do it know can you even get a degree online like how are you supposed to do it without the lab equipment?

• +1
Is this equivalent to ucas points in the uk? Also they allow you to do that shit? Fuck i wanna do it know can you even get a degree online like how are you supposed to do it without the lab equipment?
I don't know how the UK works. In the USA CC classes just stands for community college and most of them transfer to a state school the school I'm transfering to is in my state.

I just chose online because its more convenient with my schedule. I'm doing it to save money a lot of people do a year or two of CC then transfer to a state school. You get the benefits of a degree from a good school without the cost of the classes so basically take all your electives or BS classes out of the way and do the last 2-3 years at school

Last edited:
Yeah sometimes I wonder if I should go back to basics. Because the way I was taught math as a kid was really bad.
This is pretty much why people think they're bad at maths. If you do go over the basics again it's going to make the higher levels so much easier for you since your mind is more developed.

• +1
This is pretty much why people think they're bad at maths. If you do go over the basics again it's going to make the higher levels so much easier for you since your mind is more developed.
Any tips for going back to the basics should I just do the elementary school math section on khan academy?

Any tips for going back to the basics should I just do the elementary school math section on khan academy?
I assume you're a youngcel in high school.

Elementary maths is just arithmetic so there's no need to use khan academy to do that, just practice arithmetic questions until you can do them with ease. There are sites online that create questions for you, just search them up on google.