tretinoin and sunscreen advice

A

AreOhSeaKay

Iron
I have tretinoin however I was not aware of the sunscreen pill.

Which sunscreen is best to use with tretinoin? Also how often do I use it?

• +1
Reactions: Preoximerianas and LooksmaxxHopeful
Bump, we need to talk more about skincare on this forum, biggest part of the agepill

• +1
Reactions: TrestIsBest, Deleted member 15827, Preoximerianas and 1 other person
I use $27 sunscreen with zinc oxide and safe ingredients :ogre:

Sunscreen every morning. About 1-1,5g is enough for a full protection.
SPF50+ does the job.

• +1
Reactions: LooksmaxxHopeful
I can't exactly tell you which sunscreen to use, look into videos by Dr. Dray. In the end it comes down to personal preference and budget. You should go for SPF 50 or higher, then it comes down to mineral vs chemical sunscreen. Mineral sunscreen reflects the UV rays, chemical sunscreens absorb them. Sunscreens can have different protection against UV spectrums, a good sunscreen should protect against a broad spectrum of UV rays. Again, I can not tell you which sunscreen can do that but I can tell you this: if you buy the sunscreen that is specifically made for facial skin, you'll have to pay a bit more. The most popular sunscreen like Anthelios by La Roche Posay go for anything between 12-16€/50ml where I am from.

You typically apply sunscreen after you've applied your moisturizer, about half a teaspoon for your face and a bit for your neck. Then you should reapply after about 2 hours. Reapplying is what is probably going to drive up the cost of your skin care routine, as I said, the derm tier sunscreen from reputable brands like La Roche Posay, Bioré, Eucerin etc. all go for 10-20€/50ml and will not last a month if you strictly reapply every 2 hours. It's also important that you do not apply too little if you want to have the maximum effect of sun protection. To achieve the SPF factor that is written on the bottle, you'll need to apply 2mg/m², this roughly translates to half a teaspoon. As protection rises almost exponentially with the amount of sunscreen you use, using a little bit less sunscreen can mean a tremendous loss in protection, whereas using too much will have no significant effect iirc.

I don't know where you got your tret from, but if you got it from a pharmacy they should be able to tell you a lot and maybe give you specific recommendations on which sunscreen to use. Dr. Dray is a dermatologist, so check her out.

I am incredibly cautious when it comes to giving out advie on the internet, so please do your own research and don't just believe everything you read on here!:yes:

Funnily enough I am going to the derm tomorrow for another matter, but also planned to ask him for a tret prescription, I have never used it before. Out of curiosity, what concentration was given to you? I planned on starting as low as possible to reduce skin peeling and irritation.

Attachments

• theoretical-sunscreen-amount-spf-relationship.jpg
    theoretical-sunscreen-amount-spf-relationship.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 32094, TrestIsBest, Leap and 2 others

Last edited:
SPF50+ does the job.
Is there a sunscreen for sensitive skin? My skin is prone to redness so it's very very sensitive

SPF50+ does the job.
I use this Neutrogena as my sunscreen/moisturizer.

I apply tretinoin at night though. Should I apply Tretinoin in the morning then apply this directly after?

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• 718DfCB858S._AC_SS450_.jpg
    718DfCB858S._AC_SS450_.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0
  • +1
I can't exactly tell you which sunscreen to use, look into videos by Dr. Dray. In the end it comes down to personal preference and budget. You should go for SPF 50 or higher, then it comes down to mineral vs chemical sunscreen. Mineral sunscreen reflects the UV rays, chemical sunscreens absorb them. Sunscreens can have different protection against UV spectrums, a good sunscreen should protect against a broad spectrum of UV rays. Again, I can not tell you which sunscreen can do that but I can tell you this: if you buy the sunscreen that is specifically made for facial skin, you'll have to pay a bit more. The most popular sunscreen like Anthelios by La Roche Posay go for anything between 12-16€/50ml where I am from.

You typically apply sunscreen after you've applied your moisturizer, about half a teaspoon for your face and a bit for your neck. Then you should reapply after about 2 hours. Reapplying is what is probably going to drive up the cost of your skin care routine, as I said, the derm tier sunscreen from reputable brands like La Roche Posay, Bioré, Eucerin etc. all go for 10-20€/50ml and will not last a month if you strictly reapply every 2 hours. It's also important that you do not apply too little if you want to have the maximum effect of sun protection. To achieve the SPF factor that is written on the bottle, you'll need to apply 2mg/m², this roughly translates to half a teaspoon. As protection rises almost exponentially with the amount of sunscreen you use, using a little bit less sunscreen can mean a tremendous loss in protection, whereas using too much will have no significant effect iirc.

I don't know where you got your tret from, but if you got it from a pharmacy they should be able to tell you a lot and maybe give you specific recommendations on which sunscreen to use. Dr. Dray is a dermatologist, so check her out.

I am incredibly cautious when it comes to giving out advie on the internet, so please do your own research and don't just believe everything you read on here!:yes:

Funnily enough I am going to the derm tomorrow for another matter, but also planned to ask him for a tret prescription, I have never used it before. Out of curiosity, what concentration was given to you? I planned on starting as low as possible to reduce skin peeling and irritation.

I apply tretinoin at night though. Should I apply Tretinoin in the morning then apply this directly after?

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• +1
I use $27 sunscreen with zinc oxide and safe ingredients :ogre:

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

wtf I expected that to be logarithmic :feelswhat: what gives

Thanks for your input.
hmm maybe you should switch to a pure sunscreen as these arent protecting you enough from sun damage.
keep appealing tret at night after cleansing your face, use the spf in the morning!

Thanks for your input.
no you want tret at night then use a random moisturizer and then spf in the morning + moisturize twice a day

hmm maybe you should switch to a pure sunscreen as these arent protecting you enough from sun damage.
keep appealing tret at night after cleansing your face, use the spf in the morning!
Really Spf 30 isn't enough?

I went to the source and it says it's actually linear :ogre:

What actually happens when you use less sunscreen?​

For years, most scientists thought using less sunscreen would decrease sun protection exponentially like in the graph above… and then some studies tested this theory out, and it seems like most sunscreens actually give a linear relationship, where half the sunscreen would actually give you around half the protection, like in the purple line below.

How SPF Changes With How Much Sunscreen You Use

One study even found that there was a logarithmic relationship like in the blue line on the graph, where half the sunscreen would actually give you more than half of the full protection! There’s a brief summary of the relationships found in different studies in this review. In all of the studies, the protection achieved was much better than the amounts in the theoretical prediction. A good rule of thumb is that applying half of the recommended amount will give you around 1/3 to 1/2 of the labelled SPF.

• +1
Reactions: KraftPowerStrength
no you want tret at night then use a random moisturizer and then spf in the morning + moisturize twice a day
Okay, so my moisturizer has sunscreen in it SPF 30. Good brand

I'm a newbie to skincare so would applying my cream twice a day be sufficinent?

• +1
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS
idk about tretinoin but it's recommended to take isotretinoin in the evening to minimise the side effect of increased sunburn.

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13787, Fear and ElySioNs