Trouble mewing - My tongue falls to the left side of my face because I have type 3 tongue tie. What should I do?

JCaesar

JCaesar

ascend or rope
I'm having trouble mewing because I have a tongue tie which makes my tongue fall to the left side of my face, and along with that I noticed my pallate is crooked to the left side of my face along with my left side being more "droopy" in general. Can I do something about it or do I have to get surgery or something?

Additionaly, could the tongue tie be causing more problems to that side of my face like making it more droopy, considering it falls to that side on the mouth?

Last edited:
Yes, why wouldn’t it be? You’ll just need to convince your parent(s).

Yeah probably I’m not an expert tho, you can find info using google search.
Alright thanks, I guess it's just a complete failo then. Do you know if that could also be causing the droopyness (or what else could be causing it)?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1901
Do you know if that could also be causing the droopyness
You mean like recessed face? Yeah, it could definitely cause that if you could never mew.

• Hmm...
Reactions: JCaesar
You mean like recessed face? Yeah, it could definitely cause that if you could never mew.
Oh not exactly only "recessed", but the left side of the face appears more "droopy", basically think about having slight negative canthal tilt on the left eye along with the left ear "falling" a bit, with the ramus being shorter on that side too (which I guess could be influenced by the tie).

That side is where the tie drops the tongue to, do you know if that could be caused by something else or if it could it be it?

• +1
Oh not exactly only "recessed", but the left side of the face appears more "droopy", basically think about having slight negative canthal tilt on the left eye along with the left ear "falling" a bit, with the ramus being shorter on that side too (which I guess could be influenced by the tie).

That side is where the tie drops the tongue to, do you know if that could be caused by something else or if it could it be it?
It’s not impossible it was caused my the tongue tie. Did you chew on both sides evenly?

It’s not impossible it was caused my the tongue tie. Did you chew on both sides evenly?
Fairly sure I've been chewing on my right side at least slightly more, I have braces and along with that my upper teeth arch "falls" to the right side which makes it lower on the right than it is on the left, with the lower teeth arch "falling" to the opposite side making it higher on the right side, so basically when I bite usually the right teeths collide while the left ones stay with a bit of space between them, so I usually chewed on that side (also because it hurted less with braces there).

• +1
Fairly sure I've been chewing on my right side at least slightly more, I have braces and along with that my upper teeth arch "falls" to the right side which makes it lower on the right than it is on the left, with the lower teeth arch "falling" to the opposite side making it higher on the right side, so basically when I bite usually the right teeths collide while the left ones stay with a bit of space between them, so I usually chewed on that side (also because it hurted less with braces there).
I have the exact same thing as you.

• Woah
I have the exact same thing as you.
Dang, you're probably the first person I know with the same problem JFL. Are/did you do anything to fix it or did you notice any assymetries too?

• +1
Dang, you're probably the first person I know with the same problem JFL. Are/did you do anything to fix it or did you notice any assymetries too?
I’m clenching on a towel on my left side to attempt to fix this, with no success so far. My right side has a higher, more prominent zygo, shorter midface, slightly more pct, sharper gonion. Naturally, I tilted my head slightly to the right. This made my jaw aligned horizontally, but made my left eye appear higher up. And like you, my right upper and lower molars naturally came into contact more than my left upper and lower molars.

• Hmm...
I’m clenching on a towel on my left side to attempt to fix this, with no success so far. My right side has a higher, more prominent zygo
How long have you been trying that, I also notice a difference between my zygos, but I'm not sure if there could also be a difference in the buccinator causing this.
shorter midface, slightly more pct, sharper gonion. Naturally, I tilted my head slightly to the right. This made my jaw aligned horizontally, but made my left eye appear higher up. And like you, my right upper and lower molars naturally came into contact more than my left upper and lower molars.
Yeah, my right gonion seems to fall lower than the left one when I'm looking straight at the mirror, with my chin also being lower on the right and higher on the left (I feel like that's because of the bottom teeth falling to the left, but I guess I'm still not sure what would be the cause of that). I also feel like my occipital falls slightly lower on the left than on the right, just goes to show how much teeth can mess the head up I guess.

For some reason my right eye is the one who seems more downturned when looking straight at the mirror sometimes, which just makes this way more weird.

You don't happen to have had a tongue tie too right? I guess it might not be the full cause of it in the end :trepidation:

Last edited:
  • +1
How long have you been trying that, I also notice a difference between my zygos, but I'm not sure if there could also be a difference in the buccinator causing this.

Yeah, my right gonion seems to fall lower than the left one when I'm looking straight at the mirror, with my chin also being lower on the right and higher on the left (I feel like that's because of the bottom teeth falling to the left, but I guess I'm still not sure what would be the cause of that). I also feel like my occipital falls slightly lower on the left than on the right, just goes to show how much teeth can mess the head up I guess.

For some reason my right eye is the one who seems more downturned when looking straight at the mirror sometimes, which just makes this way more weird.

You don't happen to have had a tongue tie too right? I guess it might not be the full cause of it in the end :trepidation:
I don’t think I have a tongue tie. I chewed and slept on my right side until recently.

• Hmm...
I don’t think I have a tongue tie. I chewed and slept on my right side until recently.
Ouchie, guess that might not be the full reason behind it all after all :trepidation: . I also sleep on a side though I think I just alter it randomly during the night.

And there are some ways to know about the tie:

tongue-tie-test-1.jpg

Anyway, guess I should try to get my tie removed though I should probably do more research about it first I guess (also considering how orthodontic treatment could be and all)? Thanks for the info, if there are more people with that same teeth arch problem there must be habits or something else causing it as it seems. If you ever have any updates about it please let me know JFL.

• +1
Ouchie, guess that might not be the full reason behind it all after all :trepidation: . I also sleep on a side though I think I just alter it randomly during the night.

And there are some ways to know about the tie:

tongue-tie-test-1.jpg

Anyway, guess I should try to get my tie removed though I should probably do more research about it first I guess (also considering how orthodontic treatment could be and all)? Thanks for the info, if there are more people with that same teeth arch problem there must be habits or something else causing it as it seems. If you ever have any updates about it please let me know JFL.
Yeah definitely look into franectomy. And I agree with you on lifestyle causing these asymmetries. the notion that asymmetry is usually genetic is ridiculous.

I think I have a mild tongue tie. Although it seems I can mew fine.
A2552652 0E71 49A7 9976 9C3DCCA90712

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 27772 and JCaesar
Yeah definitely look into franectomy. And I agree with you on lifestyle causing these asymmetries. the notion that asymmetry is usually genetic is ridiculous.
My orthodontic told me crooked teeth is "mostly genetic" so I do doubt orthodontic treatment most of the times, I'm still using braces though I was looking at pallate expanders for my mouth, also because my wisdom teeth were starting to very slowly come in.

But yeah, seems like im gonna actually have to do something about the tie :trepidation: .

I think I have a mild tongue tie. Although it seems I can mew fine.
View attachment 2143831
You do seem to have a type of tongue tie, on that image it looks like your tongue slightly falls to the right side. Might not be as severe as type 3 but I think it's not "normal level". Looks similar to mine but "smaller" and further down the tongue.

I think I can see the upper arch falling a bit to the side too, along with the cheek.

Last edited:
  • +1
My orthodontic told me crooked teeth is "mostly genetic"
Jfl
But yeah, seems like im gonna actually have to do something about the tie :trepidation: .
Yeah, and the sooner the better. Mewing obviously works when your sutures are open and your bones growing, but adter that its effectiveness is unknown. Good luck boyo.

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 27772 and JCaesar
Yeah, and the sooner the better. Mewing obviously works when your sutures are open and your bones growing, but adter that its effectiveness is unknown. Good luck boyo.
Thank you, it's kinda sad I have to get it sirurgically removed cause if there was a way to better it naturally I'd probably do it, but at least I realized it instead of trying to mew and not being able to do it the best way. Thanks for helping.

• +1
I'm having trouble mewing because I have a tongue tie which makes my tongue fall to the left side of my face, and along with that I noticed my pallate is crooked to the left side of my face along with my left side being more "droopy" in general. Can I do something about it or do I have to get surgery or something?

Additionaly, could the tongue tie be causing more problems to that side of my face like making it more droopy, considering it falls to that side on the mouth?
same issue