Upper lip protrusion and facial convexity

sickdawgie

sickdawgie

Diamond
Does having a protruding upper lips make it harder/create a false image of your facial convexity?

Does it push your philtrum more forward making it harder to locate your subnasale, I got 169° when pushing lip in, 164° not pushing in with not the same angle tho.

How important is a perfect angle for facial convexity? I get varying results. Just got 162° on one :(

recessed chin maybe, that can make it so it looks like ur upper lip is protruding when in reality ur maxilla ja upper lip is good but ur chin and lower lip is sunken

recessed chin maybe, that can make it so it looks like ur upper lip is protruding when in reality ur maxilla ja upper lip is good but ur chin and lower lip is sunken
I do infact have a recessed mandible, and at my last appointment we talked about my lip and how it sticks out, they seemed to indicate I just have a big lip.

Although I was told the recession was only "slight" so I wouldn't expect such low facial convexities. Fucking sugar coating doctors.

• +1
Reactions: maxxmclooks
protruded teeth can make the lips look big , narrow and uneven also can push the subnasal area forward so thats a factor too

• Study: "Soft tissue changes associated with maxillary incisor retraction in adult females"
    • Authors: Ramos AL, Sakima MT, Pinto Ados S, Bowman SJ.
    • Journal: The Angle Orthodontist
    • Year: 2005
    • Findings: For every 1 mm of maxillary incisor retraction, there was an average reduction of about 0.6 to 0.8 degrees in the facial convexity angle.
  • Study: "Cephalometric evaluation of hard and soft tissue changes after orthodontic treatment in Class II Division 1 patients"
    • Authors: Basciftci FA, Uysal T, Buyukerkmen A, Saracoglu F.
    • Year: 2003
    • Findings: The study indicated that for every 1 mm of incisor retraction, there was an average reduction of about 0.4 degrees in the facial convexity angle.

• +1
Reactions: maxxmclooks
I do infact have a recessed mandible, and at my last appointment we talked about my lip and how it sticks out, they seemed to indicate I just have a big lip.

Although I was told the recession was only "slight" so I wouldn't expect such low facial convexities. Fucking sugar coating doctors.
get fat transfer to the chin itll increase projection by 3mm and and pretty much give u between ideal angle

protruded teeth can make the lips look big , narrow and uneven also can push the subnasal area forward so thats a factor too

• Study: "Soft tissue changes associated with maxillary incisor retraction in adult females"
    • Authors: Ramos AL, Sakima MT, Pinto Ados S, Bowman SJ.
    • Year: 2005
    • Findings: For every 1 mm of maxillary incisor retraction, there was an average reduction of about 0.6 to 0.8 degrees in the facial convexity angle.
  • Study: "Cephalometric evaluation of hard and soft tissue changes after orthodontic treatment in Class II Division 1 patients"
    • Authors: Basciftci FA, Uysal T, Buyukerkmen A, Saracoglu F.
    • Year: 2003
    • Findings: The study indicated that for every 1 mm of incisor retraction, there was an average reduction of about 0.4 degrees in the facial convexity angle.
Very interesting. I was told I have minimal overjet, so that isn't necessarily the explanation, like I said I believe I have big lips genetically, but that would be a soft tissue factor right?

Seems an x-ray is the only true way to determine facial convexity?

• +1
Reactions: baku9
Very interesting. I was told I have minimal overjet, so that isn't necessarily the explanation, like I said I believe I have big lips genetically, but that would be a soft tissue factor right?

Seems an x-ray is the only true way to determine facial convexity?
dont sweat it ideal fac convexity is 165-175

5degrees +- doesnt mean anything

dont sweat it ideal fac convexity is 165-175

5degrees +- doesnt mean anything
Well 165° is considered "forward" like I said I sometimes get lower than that, so it is worrisome for me. Thanks anyway.