Video games can either grow or shrink part of ur brain, depending on how you play

MakinItHappenReturn

MakinItHappenReturn

Fire burning inside
The study, conducted over four years at the University of Montreal, recorded brain scans of players before and after they played first-person shooters for 90 (non-consecutive) hours. It found a reduction in gray matter in every participant who navigated games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor using memorized directions, or “non-spatial memory.” In participants who navigated using landmark-based spatial memory, however, the researchers found an increase in gray matter. The researchers determined how people navigated by sending them through several versions of a maze in virtual reality, then asking them how they managed to get to the end.

First-person action games were the only types of games that sometimes led to gray matter reductions. When participants played 3D platformer games like Super Mario 64, as opposed to first-person shooters, their gray matter increased regardless of how they navigated.

The gray matter changes occurred in the hippocampus, the part of the brain believed to be central to memory. It is “a structure important for healthy cognition across people’s lifespan,” the study says, and is “centrally involved in many functions including spatial navigation, episodic memory and stress regulation.”

Take-away?

If you are a gamer, or thinking of going into gaming, take up play/take-up games like Sackboy, Super Mario, Yakuza, Tales of Arise, Astro's Playroom etc. Not that first-person shoot-em-up stuff which we all grew up with. COD, Halo etc.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Hmm...
  • JFL
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS, Deleted member 4106, Gad and 6 others
B909bcabb2eeed34f16a5a5092ce4916

Why you feeling upset for nigga?

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: king77 and delusionalretard

• +1
Reactions: delusionalretard
What about dota, world of tanks?

Never found fps games fun tbh. I only play games of genres I find interesting such as history or fantasy and where I can learn something, ex: , Witcher, Assassin’s Creed, Kingdom Come, Paradox, etc. All games contain stuff where you’ll learn history or folklore or whatever it may be

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Baldingman1998, Deleted member 11758, CtrlAltDelete and 1 other person
Never found fps games fun tbh. I only play games of genres I find interesting such as history or fantasy and where I can learn something, ex: , Witcher, Assassin’s Creed, Kingdom Come, Paradox, etc. All games contain stuff where you’ll learn history or folklore or whatever it may be
Same, I always liked historical or fantasy games where you learn things or actually gain progress and not just shoot at other players and respawn

• +1
Reactions: TUSSELEIF
If you look at high level 3D Mario play, it clearly takes brain power. So yeah. But shooters must also take some kind of brain power, right?

Some FPS games need big brain though. Think of ArmA 3 or Squad or even Rainbow 6 Siege.

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: Toth's thot and never_lucky
Then it just better to read books

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: TUSSELEIF and subhuman incel
The COD games are pretty mindless, more like an interactive movie, you just go where the arrow points and shoot whatever appears in front of you, there's very little freedom in exploring a level, and invisible barriers are everywhere, it feels like you're stuck in a pipe and just move through it...

• +1
Reactions: Gaia262, Baldingman1998 and Deleted member 11758
Then it just better to read books
Lmao, that’s not the same, and I also read books, and it’s not the only reason I play games, I also use it as escapism. Books are also less fun than games

Lmao, that’s not the same, and I also read books, and it’s not the only reason I play games, I also use it as escapism. Books are also less fun than games
It is retarded to read books at current year when we have shit like vidya

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Baldingman1998, PURE ARYAN GENETICS and RODEBLUR
was never into FPS tbh.

What about fighting games or league of legends

games nowadays are legit 20 times easier than 90s/00s games

• +1
Reactions: Gonthar, NumbThePain and RODEBLUR
The study, conducted over four years at the University of Montreal, recorded brain scans of players before and after they played first-person shooters for 90 (non-consecutive) hours. It found a reduction in gray matter in every participant who navigated games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor using memorized directions, or “non-spatial memory.” In participants who navigated using landmark-based spatial memory, however, the researchers found an increase in gray matter. The researchers determined how people navigated by sending them through several versions of a maze in virtual reality, then asking them how they managed to get to the end.

First-person action games were the only types of games that sometimes led to gray matter reductions. When participants played 3D platformer games like Super Mario 64, as opposed to first-person shooters, their gray matter increased regardless of how they navigated.

The gray matter changes occurred in the hippocampus, the part of the brain believed to be central to memory. It is “a structure important for healthy cognition across people’s lifespan,” the study says, and is “centrally involved in many functions including spatial navigation, episodic memory and stress regulation.”

Take-away?

If you are a gamer, or thinking of going into gaming, take up play/take-up games like Sackboy, Super Mario, Yakuza, Tales of Arise, Astro's Playroom etc. Not that first-person shoot-em-up stuff which we all grew up with. COD, Halo etc.

Why not a combination of both?

In my opinion, the Uncharted series were awesome games that combined good storyline, consistent set of characters with organic dialogue featuring ever-changing environments explored through various forms of transport, such as cars, boats, or just on foot.

You're introduced to a main goal, the reasons behind it and the people involved. There's some thought that goes into understanding it all and you'll often find yourself in the middle of nowhere left to navigate by yourself, having to remember the details from character interactions, finding clues along the road to help you get to where you need to be, and for the players that want to go all-out there are also a bunch of easter eggs and collectibles hidden along the way that a lot of people don't pick up on.

However, for the shooting enthusiasts among us it often happens that while trying to get to your objective you're often met with armed combat, you also have to think smartly here where to cover and what weapons to use, if i remember correctly you just start off with a regular pistol and you have to go out of your way to pick up the guns left by the fallen enemies to have some real action.

There are also explosives, etc. Unlike COD you really have to give it some thought, not everything is indestructible, if you hide behind a piece of cardboard it's obviously gonna get destroyed.

When you've reached your objective you're often met with puzzles in the form of medieval death traps to gain access to valuables locked away long ago, these contraptions that are built to kill anyone trying to enter unless they do it according to a certain precise way only the creator and whoever they told would know, or those smart enough to crack it. It puts your brain to the test if you can crack it as well, and there are some bits of history involved too, so it's also educational to a certain extent.

Sometimes the two even go hand in hand, and you might have to outsmart a weaponized armored vehicle, or scale a moving truck surrounded by enemies who are trying to shoot you to death.

All in all i think there is no need to restrict yourself to a certain genre, there is something for everyone

you could memorize directions in super mario too. the comparison wasnt good.
they should have done this experiment without the memorized direction part and it would have been a lot different.
fps games actually improve reflexes and multitasking.

Everyone should go ER (in minecraft)

• +1
Reactions: TUSSELEIF and PURE ARYAN GENETICS
i played gta san andreas and vice city as a kid on the ps2

The COD games are pretty mindless, more like an interactive movie, you just go where the arrow points and shoot whatever appears in front of you, there's very little freedom in exploring a level, and invisible barriers are everywhere, it feels like you're stuck in a pipe and just move through it...
fam no one plays the campaign

• Hmm...
Reactions: Gonthar