Want to learn multiple languages

Soulrack

Soulrack

Shitposter banterist
I wanna learn Russian and Chinese, pros are you get access to that culture, products etc. and especially Russian Internet and Chinese Internet, the English internet is only the surface.

I also wanna learn Python because I wanna be an engineer and make shit with electronics etc.

What should I know?

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer, bladeeout, AutisticBeaner and 3 others
python sucks

• +1
Reactions: sytyl
I don't know about Chinese since the writing system is so different but for Russian learn the Cyrillic alphabet first. It shouldn't take more than a couple hours to get it down and memorized.

Next, use a software like Anki to learn the most 3000 or so most frequently used words. The top 3000 words account for about 90% of the words used in a language so it's a good starting point. Learn some basic grammar too. This is a good guide for the basics on what to learn first.

For more advanced grammar like the case system, I'd say just get your hands on a good textbook.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: dachad, Soulrack, Deleted member 3323 and 4 others
Just go to classes. you will learn in 4 weeks

• +1
Reactions: Soulrack
I don't know about Chinese since the writing system is so different but for Russian learn the Cyrillic alphabet first. It shouldn't take more than a couple hours to get it down and memorized.

Next, use a software like Anki to learn the most 3000 or so most frequently used words. The top 3000 words account for about 90% of the words used in a language so it's a good starting point. Learn some basic grammar too. This is a good guide fn the basics on what to learn first.

For more advanced grammar like the case system, I'd say just get your hands on a good textbook.
High IQ. For learning simple grammar and shit Duolingo is a good free resource.

• +1
I want to learn multiple languages aswell.
its hard tho

• +1
Reactions: Soulrack and inceletto
You are choosing two of the most difficult languages on the planet, at the same time..

Good luck OP

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer, Soulrack and Captain_Collagen
I speak 4 languages. If you want to learn a language to communicate with native speakers, like locationmaxxing, learn the right pronunciation from the beginning and listen to a lot of original podcasts instead of concentrating on grammar. If you just want to read books / understand the culture then go through a grammar first before vocabularymaxxing.

As you've reached the intermediate level, watching movies / TV shows in that language and chatting with native speakers online will help. If you're really interested in the culture then everything will be easier.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Soulrack, Arkantos, inceletto and 2 others
You are choosing two of the most difficult languages on the planet, at the same time..

Good luck OP

The good thing is that they are extremely dissimilar, so should be possible to study simultaneously there is zero grammatical, phonetic etc overlap

• +1
I speak 4 languages. If you want to learn a language to communicate with native speakers, like locationmaxxing, learn the right pronunciation from the beginning and listen to a lot of original podcasts instead of concentrating on grammar. If you just want to read books / understand the culture then go through a grammar first because vocabularymaxxing.

As you've reached the intermediate level, watching movies / TV shows in that language and chatting with native speakers online will help. If you're really interested in the culture then everything will be easier.

Lifefuel which languages do you speak? Spanish and Bulgarian are my next targets.

• +1
Reactions: Soulrack and Deleted member 616
The good thing is that they are extremely dissimilar, so should be possible to study simultaneously there is zero grammatical, phonetic etc overlap

Hmm not sure about that.
In my opinion it's easier to learn that are related or similar. There might be some overlap but it will definitely make the job much easier.

For example I'm Italian, and it has been fairly easy for me to learn Spanish and French at the same time

Lifefuel which languages do you speak? Spanish and Bulgarian are my next targets.
Basically the major EU working languages (French, German, English) + some Dutch. Know a few words in Czech and Polish because I used to date girls from there.

I really love Russian culture / history but never came to master the language.

• +1
Reactions: Captain_Collagen and Deleted member 1476
I’m learning French and Spanish on Duolingo with the aid of grammar dictionaries

• +1
Reactions: Soulrack and Captain_Collagen
I speak 4 languages so I can give you some tips, though 2 of them are mother tongues so it's like cheating somewhat. Learning Russian will be relatively easy if you're familiar with other European languages, especially if you have experience with Slavic ones. Chinese though is not a language, it's a writing system, but I'm guessing that you mean Mandarin, which is extremely difficult for Westerners. You'll need many years just to grasp the language to a good degree and you'll struggle a lot with the writing system, twice as much if you decide to learn both Traditional and Simplified Chinese, which you should. It is widely known that to be considered fluent in Chinese writing, you should be capable of regularly reading and understanding a Chinese newspaper, which is around 10000 characters. Honestly, if you go through with Mandarin, know that you'll most likely need around a decade to be considered fluent.

• +1
if you decide to go through with chinese, make sure you have plenty of motivation because not only you'll have to learn a foreign language, you also have to learn not just a writing system, but many hundreds of chinese symbols. i am telling you this so you don't lose motivation 1-2 months in, stop learning and lose all your progress.

• +1
I speak 4 languages so I can give you some tips, though 2 of them are mother tongues so it's like cheating somewhat. Learning Russian will be relatively easy if you're familiar with other European languages, especially if you have experience with Slavic ones. Chinese though is not a language, it's a writing system, but I'm guessing that you mean Mandarin, which is extremely difficult for Westerners. You'll need many years just to grasp the language to a good degree and you'll struggle a lot with the writing system, twice as much if you decide to learn both Traditional and Simplified Chinese, which you should. It is widely known that to be considered fluent in Chinese writing, you should be capable of regularly reading and understanding a Chinese newspaper, which is around 10000 characters. Honestly, if you go through with Mandarin, know that you'll most likely need around a decade to be considered fluent.
chinese isn't just the writing system. it's a colloquial term for both the writing system and the language. really the language is called mandarin, like you said and the writing system is called hanzi.

• +1
Look I already learned some Chinese bao ji maoe ka ni dao dam bi bahoh laoshu and some Russian blooz blieez bloz cykrakit moozchnee and some python print ("Hello world")

Would be a fun surrogate activity, go for it, but don’t think it will get you pussy

You will never become fluent in Russian unless you live in Russia or live with a fluent speaker. This is the reality for English speakers.

• So Sad

Next, use a software like Anki to learn the most 3000 or so most frequently used words. The top 3000 words account for about 90% of the words used in a language so it's a good starting point. Learn some basic grammar too. This is a good guide for the basics on what to learn first.

^ This is legit. But the way to progress very quickly to a very advanced level is all about IMMERSION

- This video is good at explaining it.

When you were a baby, how did you learn a language? Did you attend classes? Take tests?
No, and so the best way to learn a language is to learn it like we did as babies. That means immersion - watch Russian TV shows, watch the Russian news every morning, etc etc. (he says do it with Russian subtitles but that seems a little tricky - you might want to start off with English subtitles, or watch once with Russian subtitles and once with English subtitles.

• +1
Reactions: Alexanderr and Soulrack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back