Wet Shaving Guide: No Irritation, No Razor Bumps and a Close Shave

Se7en

Se7en

Rockin Hedi Slimane Saint Laurent
In this guide, I will be teaching you how to WET shave your face properly, minimizing razor bumps, irritation and redness.

I have been wet shaving for around 4 years now, and have gone through MANY razors, from Gillette disposable razors, Multi Blade Cartridge razors and Double Edge Safety Razors.

1) So the first question:
Which razor should you choose?

1.1) If you have sensitive skin and less thick facial hair, a Gillette Skinguard Sensitive Razor would be your best bet.

I have tried this razor and while doing so, I have experienced no irritation whatsoever, however you must use a lot of pressure to get the hairs off of your face.
The pros of this type of razor is that it is extremely easy to use, there is little room for error and is probably one of the safest options out there. However, this razor will NOT give you a BBS (baby butt smooth) shave if you have thick facial hair, like me. If you have thick facial hair, you will definitely get a green complexion even if you shave with the grain, across the grain and against the grain. Each cartridge is also expensive compared to other products which will give you finer results.

(this image is not me)

1.2) If you have thick facial hair (like me) and want a comfortable, smooth, close shave, a
Double Edge Safety Razor is your choice.
There are MANY Double Edge Safety Razors that you can choose from

If you are JUST starting out, a good
beginner razor is the Merkur 34c:

This is the second ever DE Safety razor that I had bought, and the changes in my shaves was drastic. I still sometimes use this razor, and I am always surprised with the results.

The razor that I mainly use is the:
Henson AL13 Medium Safety Razor

The main differences with this razor, is that it is a lot more lightweight compared to the Merkur (and any other razor in general) and also has good blade exposure so I can ensure that every piece of hair on my face is cut. However, you will experience cuts & nicks with this razor if you are not careful.

2) Now for your second question:
Which blades should I use?

2.1) Just by using the correct blades, your shaving results can differ extremely.
The blades which I recommend are:
Feather Blades

These blades are extremely sharp, so you must be careful! These blades have positively impacted my shaving routine substantially. And are dirt cheap.
I change these blades every use. But you do not have to.

3) The third question

What shaving soap should I use?

3.1) You do NOT want to be using a shaving foam/gel straight out the can.
This is because these foams/gels make your face NUMB, making you more prone to not realising how much pressure you are actually even using; giving you more cuts and nicks without even realising it!
These foams also leave your skin TIGHT and makes them more DRY,

I would personally say that changing my shaving soap routine has been the BIGGEST and BEST decision I have made in regards to wet shaving.

3.2) You SHOULD be using a Shaving Soap along with a Shaving Brush.

This is the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Soap, which is one of the first soaps I have used.

Here is the Gift Box Set which contains a shaving brush and a soap.

3.3) I would also recommend to get a Shaving Bowl so you can work a nice lather and apply it to your face.
Here is a good, cheap Shaving Bowl which I have used in the past.

There are many YouTube tutorials on how to create a great lather and how to apply it to your face, so you can research how to do that in your own time. I will not be discussing it here as it will take far too much time, it's also experimental based on your personal preferences.

Not only does using a brush and shaving soap EXFOLIATE your skin, it REDUCES irritations and you are less prone to getting redness, which was the case for me.

I was honestly put off of using a shaving soap, mainly because I thought I did not have enough time to do it every morning, however it takes me around 3 minutes to create a perfect lather and apply it to my face. This was also the MAIN way how I reduced razor bumps and irritation, as before this, I would use a shaving foam. This difference impacted me greatly and I too think you guys should try it.

4) The fourth question
How do I prepare before applying my lather and shaving?

4.1) You could use a hot towel on your face, but I don't have time for that.
I have a hot steamy shower first, which aids in exposing more of your facial hair, it will also make your facial hair easier to cut.

Don't use a cleanser/exfoliate before shaving.

5) The fifth question
The lather is on my face, what now?

5.1) It's time to shave.
I go through 3 PASSES:

Firstly WITH the grain
Secondly ACROSS the grain
Thirdly AGAINST the grain

5.2) Your beard hair growth patterns may be DIFFERENT compared to other people, which is also the case with mine.
You need to
FEEL out your beard and analyse which directions your hair grows, then utilise that information when shaving.
This is what will give you a much
CLEANER, SMOOTHER and CLOSER shave.

5.3) Frequency

This is dependant on the person, if you can grow facial hair in one day and feel like you are able to shave the next morning, feel free to shave with 3 passes every single day.

I shave once every two days, this is only because my facial hair grows to an amount in which I am able to comfortably shave it all off with 3 passes.

6) Question Six:
Fuck, I cut myself and have irritation! How do I fix it?
If you have accidentally cut yourself, or still have irritation no matter what, this post shave care guide is for you

6.1)
Alum Block.

Rub this on your face. This will stop bleeding and irritation (may also sting alittle)

6.2) Skin Tight In-grown Hair & Razor Bump Creme.

This cream has changed my life, I have not seen this posted on the forum once.

I have been using this for 2 years now, and in doing so, I genuinely do not remember the last time I have gotten irritation or an in-grown hair from shaving.

Apply this right after you have used your alum block, it will sting ALOT when you use it for the first few months. Make sure to MASSAGE it in hard on your facial hair area, making sure your skin has absorbed it. Then wash it off your face with COLD water

Congratulations, you can now get a close shave with no irritation.

Attachments

• 1725403886626.png
    1725403886626.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 0
  • +1
Reactions: lucifer6969, lestoa and ALP
water with 0 new non-obvious knowledge

• +1
Reactions: nathan
Just buy phillips one blade :lul: