What are we missing about eye color?

To summarize, much of the reasoning given for why colored eyes are selected for in men is because lighter irises (pupil definition) are more common in males and hence a sexually dimorphic feature. There are effectively no actual significant survival advantages to having a lighter iris that justifies there being over a billion people alive with the mutation from one ancestor a few thousand years ago, in fact an argument could even be made that it’s disadvantageous. Fair enough, but the problem here is that if this was the only reasoning behind why colored eyes are selected for, it would necessarily follow that the darkest color (dark brown) would also be the most feminine and ideal for women.

So there’s really two alternatives here, that the darkest brown eyes are actually the most attractive color on women or that there’s another reason why we select for colored eyes.

I feel like the issue with the former being true is that I imagine we’d have simply undeniable evidence of this by now, even just through a common consensus in our culture. There’s essentially no demand for dark brown colored contacts, people will fly across the world to get illegal and dangerous surgeries to always lighten their eye color (it’s telling there’s no procedures to add melanin to the iris outside of perhaps a health sense in the case of albinos, especially when women would be by far the largest consumers in the cosmetic industry), and as mentioned one person with the genetic mutation for blue eyes and their lineage a few thousand years ago reproduced to the extent of having over a billion ancestors today.

People will often bring up “contrast”, which makes sense but if true it could mean that the darkest skin and lightest eyes possible would be considered the most attractive to both genders, which it clearly isn’t. Perhaps not though? Would the health/class indicators of having too dark of skin outweigh the increase in contrast you’d get? It’s also very possible that we’ve just evolved to be gravitated towards vibrant colors because of its correlation with ripeness and fertility, so our preference for colored eyes could be at least partially a byproduct of this.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: PoopyFaceTomatoNose, Aero, bndar.337 and 4 others
Hahaha I remember you were arguing with CA for hours and he was denying this :lul:

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: poopoohead and nordsmog
Hahaha I remember you were arguing with CA for hours and he was denying this :lul:
Yeah I was high too so I couldn’t really put up a fight

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: poopoohead, soover4me and smallman
Women are less likely to have blue eyes because they usually end up green for them.

• +1
Reactions: PoopyFaceTomatoNose
Women are less likely to have blue eyes because they usually end up green for them.
Is that really a reasoning though? The claim would be that men have less melanin in their eyes and women would have more, but why? Every trait we have (bar vestigial traits, which doesn’t apply here because of how recent colored eyes are) has evolved because it’s advantageous for our survival and conversely reproduction

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead
Is that really a reasoning though? The claim would be that men have less melanin in their eyes and women would have more, but why? Every trait we have (bar vestigial traits, which doesn’t apply here because of how recent colored eyes are) has evolved because it’s advantageous for our survival and conversely reproduction
Who fucking cares man? It's just sampling error. I'm only seeing one study talking about difference in eye colour frequency. The source had 2026 people, variation like this is expected.

Honestly, I think it’s just because most people like to look at bright colors. Most people that I think have nice eyes have this thing I’ve noticed that is almost like a sparkle to their eyes, it’s not necessarily caused entirely by the color but I’d assume that is a big part of it, I don’t really know what it is exactly. There’s also exclusivity which people will always look for, even if they don’t realize.

They are more noticeable than dark colored eyes. Think of heterochromia, this is even more noticeable than two light colored eyes because the first thing your brain notices is that this person looks like a cyborg or some shit and that nobody else around you looks like that. It’s exclusive and people like to look at brightly colored things like the blinding red 40 artificial pancake syrup on the shelf of the store.

For some people I’d also say that non-bright eyes can be just as good or better than blue eyes, colors like lighter brown, green, and some cases very dark.

This is Meghan Roche with brown eyes
IMG 6168

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: poopoohead and nordsmog
Ngl most women with A10s/bright blue eyes just look uncanny and have 0 appeal to me
IMG 7582

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: poopoohead, nordsmog and wishIwasSalludon
Honestly, I think it’s just because most people like to look at bright colors. Most people that I think have nice eyes have this thing I’ve noticed that is almost like a sparkle to their eyes, it’s not necessarily caused entirely by the color but I’d assume that is a big part of it, I don’t really know what it is exactly. There’s also exclusivity which people will always look for, even if they don’t realize.

They are more noticeable than dark colored eyes. Think of heterochromia, this is even more noticeable than two light colored eyes because the first thing your brain notices is that this person looks like a cyborg or some shit and that nobody else around you looks like that. It’s exclusive and people like to look at brightly colored things like the blinding red 40 artificial pancake syrup on the shelf of the store.

For some people I’d also say that non-bright eyes can be just as good or better than blue eyes, colors like lighter brown, green, and some cases very dark.

This is Meghan Roche with brown eyes
View attachment 2958966
Agree with you generally but post original pic of her there with blue

Attachments

• IMG_6171.jpeg
    IMG_6171.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6168.jpeg
    IMG_6168.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Hmm...
Reactions: nordsmog
bright and vibrant color = neuron activation. Its not that hard to understand

• +1
Reactions: PoopyFaceTomatoNose and perpetuallytired
bright and vibrant color = neuron activation. Its not that hard to understand
Again, the question is why from an evolutionary perspective. Nobody is denying that neurons fire because you’re attracted to the eye color. The question is why you’re attracted to it in the first place, why we’ve evolved to prefer lighter eyes over darker ones

To summarize, much of the reasoning given for why colored eyes are selected for in men is because lighter irises (pupil definition) are more common in males and hence a sexually dimorphic feature. There are effectively no actual significant survival advantages to having a lighter iris that justifies there being over a billion people alive with the mutation from one ancestor a few thousand years ago, in fact an argument could even be made that it’s disadvantageous. Fair enough, but the problem here is that if this was the only reasoning behind why colored eyes are selected for, it would necessarily follow that the darkest color (dark brown) would also be the most feminine and ideal for women.

So there’s really two alternatives here, that the darkest brown eyes are actually the most attractive color on women or that there’s another reason why we select for colored eyes.

I feel like the issue with the former being true is that I imagine we’d have simply undeniable evidence of this by now, even just through a common consensus in our culture. There’s essentially no demand for dark brown colored contacts, people will fly across the world to get illegal and dangerous surgeries to always lighten their eye color (it’s telling there’s no procedures to add melanin to the iris outside of perhaps a health sense in the case of albinos, especially when women would be by far the largest consumers in the cosmetic industry), and as mentioned one person with the genetic mutation for blue eyes and their lineage a few thousand years ago reproduced to the extent of having over a billion ancestors today.

People will often bring up “contrast”, which makes sense but if true it could mean that the darkest skin and lightest eyes possible would be considered the most attractive to both genders, which it clearly isn’t. Perhaps not though? Would the health/class indicators of having too dark of skin outweigh the increase in contrast you’d get? It’s also very possible that we’ve just evolved to be gravitated towards vibrant colors because of its correlation with ripeness and fertility, so our preference for colored eyes could be at least partially a byproduct of this.
Firstly blue eyes are more advantageous in colder climates, secondly skin and eye color would make it easier for a father to identify whether the child is his - so he doesn't waste resources on someone else's child.

But whether something is important in survival doesn't even matter (hooked nose is unnatracitve for no "reason", body hair should be attractive by that reasoning and it isn't, women painting their nails etc.) The sense of beauty is somewhat objective in every living species, as in, you can say whether other animals are attractive even when you aren't the selector of their species. Considering that beauty is also a function (it helps you being liked by others of your species) it's only natural that it's also selected for despite no benefit in hunting or whatever.

• +1
Reactions: PoopyFaceTomatoNose
But whether something is important in survival doesn't even matter (hooked nose is unnatracitve for no "reason", body hair should be attractive by that reasoning and it isn't, women painting their nails etc.) The sense of beauty is somewhat objective in every living species, as in, you can say whether other animals are attractive even when you aren't the selector of their species. Considering that beauty is also a function (it helps you being liked by others of your species) it's only natural that it's also selected for despite no benefit in hunting or whatever.
hooked nose is ideal nose shape

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: PoopyFaceTomatoNose, appealmaxed and cyprian_tomaszewski