WHAT CLOCK TRIGGERS PUBERTY?

D

Deleted member 1901

Kraken
I know it’s triggered by the hypothalamus but what tells that to initiate puberty and how does it know the correct timing?

• JFL
Reactions: Whitepill_Saint
bump,but why is
I know it’s triggered by the hypothalamus but what counts down in order to initiate puberty?

this important?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Whitepill_Saint and Deleted member 1901
bump,but why is

this important?
I want to know because I am wondering why early puberty is associated with shorter lifespan. Is it that faster aging (and thus shorter lifespan) triggers puberty earlier? Or is it that early puberty disregarding rate of aging pre-puberty accelerates aging? Or is it confounding factors?

• JFL
As far as I know, there is no predetermined "clock" for puberty. Puberty can be delayed or hastened by external factors (microplastics, steroids).

But there is definitely a set line in which most people undergo puberty, and it is linked with the human ability to track night and day.
You can read the study here.

For girls, development of the body is also in sync with the development of the neuroendocrine system, as stated in the study.
This might be a primitive evolution tactic that has stabilized itself into mankind.

I want to know because I am wondering why early puberty is associated with shorter lifespan. Is it that faster aging (and thus shorter lifespan) triggers puberty earlier? Or is it that early puberty disregarding rate of aging pre-puberty accelerates aging? Or is it confounding factors?
Early puberty is not associated with shorter lifespans. Women hit puberty about a year earlier than men, yet still live longer. Yes it is true that faster aging makes you hit puberty earlier, but that does not necessarily influence the lifespan (also why women seem to age faster than men but yet still live longer). You can read about women, epigenetic clocks and puberty here.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29235933/

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Whitepill_Saint and Deleted member 1901
As far as I know, there is no predetermined "clock" for puberty. Puberty can be delayed or hastened by external factors (microplastics, steroids).

But there is definitely a set line in which most people undergo puberty, and it is linked with the human ability to track night and day.
You can read the study here.

For girls, development of the body is also in sync with the development of the neuroendocrine system, as stated in the study.
This might be a primitive evolution tactic that has stabilized itself into mankind.

Early puberty is not associated with shorter lifespans. Women hit puberty about a year earlier than men, yet still live longer. Yes it is true that faster aging makes you hit puberty earlier, but that does not necessarily influence the lifespan (also why women seem to age faster than men but yet still live longer). You can read about women, epigenetic clocks and puberty here.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29235933/
great reply but I have to disagree on one thing

Early puberty is not associated with shorter lifespans. Women hit puberty about a year earlier than men, yet still live longer.
That’s not sex-controlled. Don’t compare apples to oranges.

• JFL