What I learned about good sleep - 2 things that optimize your sleep and posture

D

Deleted member 22354

https://looksmax.org/threads/how-to-sleep-correctly-and-why.17477/
Most of this can be read in this sleep thread from the botb (see link above), I would like to focus in this thread on a few things that are not included there.

To be specific, what is the best sleeping position and what should your bed/mattress be like.

I have spoken to a very good physiotherapist about this who is very focused on pain management.

Sleeping position
The worst sleeping position is the embryo position/side, because the hip flexor is shortened here, just like in sitting. You should think of sleep as counteracting the abnormalities from everyday life, not exacerbating them. At the same time, in this position it can lead to a shortening of the calf muscles, knee problems can occur, shoulder problems and especially the neck, which is already always overstretched in everyday life, is thus also further aggravated at night. The neck is also interesting in terms of looksmaxing, because in this position your jaw develops incorrectly, just as it would with mouth breathing. The best position is to sleep on your back without a pillow. On your stomach is also bad regarding your respiratory system and giving you an assymetrical face.

Why without a pillow? A pillow raises your head, as well as your upper back, so your spine is in an unnatural position, especially if the mattress is soft. At the same time, breathing is more difficult with a pillow, and the greatest possible relief to everyday life can only be guaranteed with a straight posture during sleep, just as you would sleep on the ground in nature.

Right mattress
We are always upright in everyday life with a physiologically curved spine, during the day gravity acts on us and with all the shortening that occurs during the day. The result is hyperlordosis and -kyphosis. With a soft mattress, which so many people use, these problems are exacerbated. However, if we sleep on a fairly hard mattress, where we do not sink in various places, the undesirable developments from everyday life can be corrected. A soft mattress may feel good, but in the long run various problems will develop with regard to the back, calves, respiratory system, joints, face, and so on. But a hard one needs a certain period of acclimatization, the beginning can even cause a real muscle soreness, because you have neglected these muscles very much, after 1-2 weeks you will get used to it and sleep very well.

You have through these two things the possibility to develop a perfect posture for everyday life while sleeping and that without any additional training! This has helped me a lot and my sleep quality has improved.

TLDR: Therefore, buy a hard mattress. Sleep without a pillow on your back.

Last edited:
Also get this

TLDR: Therefore, buy a hard mattress. Sleep without a pillow on your back.
i am a poorfag, its been 5 year since i slept in a bed, i sleep on the carpet, but i am still an incel.

cope.

• So Sad
  • JFL
Reactions: lmm10, Aero, amorfati and 3 others
Cope sleeping on your side with a pillow or your arm on your temple is ideal

Sleeping on your back isn't ideal regardless of whether you are using a pillow or not. Not using a pillow whilst sleeping on your back obviously is the lesser of two evils as it doesn't promote forward head posture and using a pillow will almost certainly make your lower jaw drop during sleep thus making you more susceptible to mouth breathing, hyperventilation and incorrect facial posture.

Sleeping on your side is actually superior with the left side being preferable as the left lung is smaller than the right lung. The lung which is the closest to your bed also performs the most work so as a result, you will end up breathing less during your sleep in this position, which is ideal for your health.

Sleeping on your stomach is preferable as well since it naturally restricts the movement of the diaphragm, which also forces you to breathe less during your sleep.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Aero, mogging, Yerico7 and 2 others
Sleeping on your back isn't ideal regardless of whether you are using a pillow or not. Not using a pillow whilst sleeping on your back obviously is the lesser of two evils as it doesn't promote forward head posture and using a pillow will almost certainly make your lower jaw drop during sleep thus making you more susceptible to mouth breathing, hyperventilation and incorrect facial posture.

Sleeping on your side is actually superior with the left side being preferable as the left lung is smaller than the right lung. The lung which is the closest to your bed also performs the most work so as a result, you will end up breathing less during your sleep in this position, which is ideal for your health.

Sleeping on your stomach is preferable as well since it naturally restricts the movement of the diaphragm, which also forces you to breathe less during your sleep.
All agreed. Tribesmen in Africa sleep on their sides and even other primates (who have a pretty much identical skeletal and respiratory structure to ourselves) never sleep on their backs.

While sleeping on your back is ideal for posture, the quality of sleep that you get from it is inhibited. And not sleeping well is a bigger looksmin than having suboptimal posture.

Curling into a fetal position on your side isn't great either. Try to maintain good posture while side sleeping to get good quality sleep without postural issues. Sticking a pillow between your knees can help with this.

• +1
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS, Yerico7, Deleted member 1901 and 2 others

From a scientific point of view, there are neither sufficient studies on the sleeping position nor on the mattress firmness to be able to have a well-founded opinion here.

My view coincides with the current western physiotherapeutic state of knowledge. You don't give any scientific or factual reasons for your point of view. Sleeping on your back only makes sense in combination with a hard mattress and without a pillow. That is all I am talking about. If you have a soft mattress, this sleeping position is already not ideal. I have linked a good article, but as I said, there is nearly nothing available in terms of studies, where attention is paid to mattress hardness and no pillow.

https://www.healthline.com/health/s...k-may-help-you-get-the-rest-you-need#takeaway

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 19766
No wonder my fucking jaw is downward grown despite never mouth breathing throughout my entire life. OVER FOR SIDE SLEEPINGCELS!

All agreed. Tribesmen in Africa sleep on their sides and even other primates (who have a pretty much identical skeletal and respiratory structure to ourselves) never sleep on their backs.

While sleeping on your back is ideal for posture, the quality of sleep that you get from it is inhibited. And not sleeping well is a bigger looksmin than having suboptimal posture.

Curling into a fetal position on your side isn't great either. Try to maintain good posture while side sleeping to get good quality sleep without postural issues. Sticking a pillow between your knees can help with this.

Should you sleep on side with or without a pillow under your head?

How can I fall asleep on my back and maintain that position? At night I move around too much and make a mess of blankets/sheets.

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 23530

Sleeping on your side will cause blood and fluids to go to unwanted sides of the face causing bloating + if you are growing (like me) it could ruin facial growth and development due to Wolff's law, so you know my opinion.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 22354 and Deleted member 23530

I thought it was better to sleep on your back so that you can fix asymmetry since sleeping on a side can cause asymmetry.

• JFL
Reactions: ascension!
I thought it was better to sleep on your back so that you can fix asymmetry since sleeping on a side can cause asymmetry.
Another @CyprusGD larp

How can I fall asleep on my back and maintain that position? At night I move around too much and make a mess of blankets/sheets.
This is a good article: https://www.healthline.com/health/h...rtress-to-remind-your-body-of-your-boundaries

Generally this adjustment will take time, my physiotherapist also said that it is completely normal if you turn on your side in your sleep, then when you wake up just lay on your back again. You and your body have been used to sleeping like this for years, so this adjustment will take time. Generally you should go into an "adapt and perish" mode, for example if you try to sleep on your back one night and don't sleep all night, then the next day will be much easier. Your body is very adaptable if you don't give it a choice.

Sleeping on your side will cause blood and fluids to go to unwanted sides of the face causing bloating + if you are growing (like me) it could ruin facial growth and development due to Wolff's law, so you know my opinion.
It can also cause irreversible problems in the spine such as curvature. Those who sleep on their side need perfect conditions in order not to get any disadvantages.
you will end up breathing less during your sleep in this position, which is ideal for your health.
This is very stupid, I know a lot about proper breathing, I have also written a more detailed thread about it: https://looksmax.org/threads/what-i...ver-the-past-few-years-ultimate-guide.571899/

The goal is not to breathe less but shallower, but slow, soft and deep.
He is right, but sleeping on your stomach is even worse regarding asymmetries and breathing. Best is back, this is scientific consensus

• +1
Reactions: ascension!
Should you sleep on side with or without a pillow under your head?
I use a very thin pillow but the "natural" way is to sleep without a pillow but with your head resting on your upstretched arm. I wouldn't advise side sleeping without anything under your head but at the same time you don't want to use a thick pillow because either way your neck is out of alignment. The linked video is fairly informative.

• +1
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS and Deleted member 19766
I use a very thin pillow but the "natural" way is to sleep without a pillow but with your head resting on your upstretched arm. I wouldn't advise side sleeping without anything under your head but at the same time you don't want to use a thick pillow because either way your neck is out of alignment. The linked video is fairly informative.

Could you show me your pillow or a good example? I want to know how "thin" it should be. You could also link one online.