What is bloating?

thecel

thecel

narrow-orbits brachy-skull ogre
I consider bloat to be different from having lots of facial fat (or having the appearance of having high facial fat due to recession). To me, bloating is kind of like blowing up a balloon. Bloat is inflammation (or expansion with fluids), not fat (or "bunched up" skin from lacking bone support).

What I think is bloat:
  • Excess water retention
  • Inflammation
What I think isn't bloat:
  • Being fat
  • Having a fat distribution that deposits a high amount of fat in the face, even at low body fat
  • Being recessed, causing the skin on your face to be thicker and saggier because it's less stretched out

However, I don't always use the term "bloated" according to my understanding of it. I often use "bloat" and "bloatmaxxed" interchangeably with having a high amount of facial fat.

This thread talks about facial bloat as an inflammatory response:

Whereas this thread calls fat people bloated:

Many people seem to think being fat and being bloated are the same.

Can this forum come to a consensus on what counts as bloat and what doesn't?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9779, Deleted member 12218, magnificentcel and 3 others
What is bloat baby dont hurt dont hurt me no more

• JFL
Reactions: thecel
You are right. Bloating is basically your diet problem. Eat clean and drink lots of water. Your face will never Bloat.

You are right. Bloating is basically your diet problem. Eat clean and drink lots of water. Your face will never Bloat.

I eat clean and drink lots of water, and my face looks bloated. Is it not bloat then? Just fat perhaps?

I eat clean and drink lots of water, and my face looks bloated. Is it not bloat then? Just fat perhaps?
Depends on what you mean by "clean" tbh. I eat 5 small protein rich meals under maintenance and I'm slightly hungry most of the time.
If you are fat then you shouldn't worry about bloat yet. Just loose fat first and see where you stand.

• +1
Reactions: thecel