what stem field do you think is best in terms of money

I

iammoh

Silver
i know its weird to ask random ppl on org but i just need some advice, i've been thinking medicine but idk

• +1
Reactions: owlofathena
everyone knows its CS @ FAANG

levels.fyi

• +1
Reactions: icetraebald
everyone knows its CS @ FAANG

levels.fyi
Quant firms, Hedge funds and some financial institutions are better than FAANG. At least for pay.

• +1
Reactions: BeanletMogger and 0S4MA
  • +1
Reactions: BeanletMogger, Costcosuperstore, icetraebald and 1 other person
im seriously thinking about learning how to code just to make roblox games on the side to make money enough to buy food to be able to bulk up, while taking medecine or some kind of engineering as the main thing

yeah those too, forgot about them
Are they harder to get into than FAANG though? I know places like Hudson River trading, Jane Street, Two sigma are Uber competitive

i know its weird to ask random ppl on org but i just need some advice, i've been thinking medicine but idk
medicine is full of autistic currys

• Hmm...
Reactions: billymidnight
  • +1
Reactions: owlofathena and 0S4MA
in my country if i got into medicine (which is hard cause there are 18000 people competing for 500 seats) i can study for 7 years, then work for the gov for an extra 10 years, then i can afford to build a dental clinic then im set for life

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer
i should look into that, but is it a stable job?
i would imagine since so few people can do it, youre unlikely to get replaced

also i know people who retired after 5 years so it doesnt really matter

• +1
Reactions: iammoh
Are they harder to get into than FAANG though? I know places like Hudson River trading, Jane Street, Two sigma are Uber competitive
aha... way harder

• +1
Reactions: pooplicker
thats kinda rude
4011360 Screenshot 2024 03 05 005214

• JFL
Reactions: owlofathena and PrinceofDarkness
you dont' want to become a software engineer at quant firms you want to be the quant, i know a swe at jump trading he only makes like 200-250k with terrible wlb he was better off going to a normal tech company, two sigma has a better swe culture but idk if the effort is worth the 30-50k more than faang, might as well get a good meta return offer or top unicorn

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer
you dont' want to become a software engineer at quant firms you want to be the quant, i know a swe at jump trading he only makes like 200-250k with terrible wlb he was better off going to a normal tech company, two sigma has a better swe culture but idk if the effort is worth the 30-50k more than faang, might as well get a good meta return offer or top unicorn
you would need to be a mathematical prodigy and get insanely lucky to get an interview at a quant shop

• +1
Reactions: BeanletMogger and gooner23
my brother did cs and is advising me to not do it cause nobody is hiring
the hard part about cs is that its so popular that if youre just average you will only dream of finding a decent job

• +1
i would imagine since so few people can do it, youre unlikely to get replaced

also i know people who retired after 5 years so it doesnt really matter
after 5 years???? it must be so hard then

the hard part about cs is that its so popular that if youre just average you will only dream of finding a decent job
what differentiates a good cs than an average one

what differentiates a good cs than an average one
doing niche projects and actually taking initiative to learn useful skills instead of only relying on uni education and coping with webdev/frontend

plus good coders usually developed skills earlier

Last edited:
  • +1
doing niche projects and actually taking initiative to learn useful skills instead of only relying on uni education and coping with webdev/frontend

plus good coders usually developed skills earlier
ah alright thanks for the answer, can i pm you?

• +1
Reactions: icetraebald
medicine and go to usa

• +1
Take a Briggs personality test first before you decide. Then tell us your interests. To answer your question it's Technology first then Engineering then Maths then Science.

• +1
Take a Briggs personality test first before you decide. Then tell us your interests. To answer your question it's Technology first then Engineering then Maths then Science.
i just did, im INFP-A, honestly i dont have much interests, pretty much the only things i love are the gym and gaming, also i love learning new things, biology and physics seem kinda cool too

• +1
Reactions: owlofathena
CS and engineering pay well after a while, you have to gain experience to move onto more senior roles with higher pay though. Entry level jobs are very saturated for all these fields

• +1
Reactions: iammoh, owlofathena and TechnoBoss
Quant firms, Hedge funds and some financial institutions are better than FAANG. At least for pay.
just do quant just join a hedge fund bro
jkjkjkjk asian mbappe who started training at the peak age of 3 years old and has been groomed for that shit has already taken that job

• +1
Reactions: icetraebald and 0S4MA
I think biggest potential have AI.

• +1
CS and engineering pay well after a while, you have to gain experience to move onto more senior roles with higher pay though. Entry level jobs are very saturated for all these fields
okay thank you