Whats the best topical chemical for acne?

TsarTsar444

TsarTsar444

Asexual peaceful balkan monk
Other then the poison accutane, what is the best treatment for moderate acne?

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 13787 and ItsOver.com
iridocyclitis

• +1
Reactions: OOGABOOGA and TsarTsar444
Azelaic acid. Very effective especially for hyperpigmentation

• +1
Reactions: 6'4 looksmaxxxer and TsarTsar444
fasting and diet cleared my acne lmao
it was not mild either

• +1
Reactions: RamRanchCowboy
Yes retin-a is really good but it's a bit drying and can make you break out so I just use azelaic acid

• +1
Reactions: TsarTsar444
Whats tretinoin and retin-a? Are they for treating acne?
Retin A is a brand name for tretinoin which is a retinoid. Yes, tretinoin treats acne but it can have some unwanted side effects and some people's skin just can't take it, plain and simple.
Other helpful ingredients include:
- Adapalene (another retinoid, usually more well tolerated than tretinoin)
- Salicylic acid (exfoliator)
- Niacinamide (anti inflammatory)
- Benzoyl peroxide (prescription only in most places afaik)

What is your current routine?

If you end up using azelaic acid, don't forget sunscreen or you risk discoloration.

• +1
Retin A is a brand name for tretinoin which is a retinoid. Yes, tretinoin treats acne but it can have some unwanted side effects and some people's skin just can't take it, plain and simple.
Other helpful ingredients include:
- Adapalene (another retinoid, usually more well tolerated than tretinoin)
- Salicylic acid (exfoliator)
- Niacinamide (anti inflammatory)
- Benzoyl peroxide (prescription only in most places afaik)

What is your current routine?
My current routine is Clyndamicine, what's your opinion on this? I used it for one year and ny skin was acne free 90%, but for some reason it stopped working exactly after one year and i started developing acne just like years ago

• +1
  • Love it
My current routine is Clyndamicine, what's your opinion on this? I used it for one year and ny skin was acne free 90%, but for some reason it stopped working exactly after one year and i started developing acne just like years ago
Have you spoken to whoever prescribed you the clindamycin about this issue? A year is a very long time to be on an antibiotic for acne. Aside from any skincare advice, I'd say talk to your doctor.

Have you spoken to whoever prescribed you the clindamycin about this issue? A year is a very long time to be on an antibiotic for acne. Aside from any skincare advice, I'd say talk to your doctor.
Clyndamicine is an antibiotic? I use it in solution form which i put little on cottom and then on my skin

• +1
  • Love it
Clyndamicine is an antibiotic? I use it in solution form which i put little on cottom and then on my skin
Yep, it's an antibiotic, you've just got it in a topical form.

Yep, it's an antibiotic, you've just got it in a topical form.
I got it without prescription, used it for a full year, my acne almost completely cleared of, and then exactly after a year and one month this November i suddenly started getting acne everywhere, like the Clyndamicine just stopped working for some reason

• +1
  • Love it
like the Clyndamicine just stopped working for some reason
Because it did stop working, because the bacteria developed a resistance to it. Stop using it.

Because it did stop working, because the bacteria developed a resistance to it. Stop using it.
Damn didn't know this, this is quite bad, now i have to look for something completely different, what would you recommend, this is the type of acne i have
20200106 171520

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 13787, ItsOver.com and Deleted member 656
Damn didn't know this, this is quite bad, now i have to look for something completely different, what would you recommend, this is the type of acne i have
View attachment 217836
Can you see a dermatologist? If not, possible options include:
- Benzoyl peroxide could be good although it can be harsh and doesn't work for everyone.
- Tretinoin, again, harsh but it works for a lot of people.
- Salicylic acid, more gentle and easier to get hold of
- Niacinamide, to take down some of the inflammation
- Azelaic acid, anti bacterial and anti inflammatory.

• +1
Salicylic acid helped me, still have scars though

Benzoyl peroxide and oral zinc

• +1
Reactions: 6'4 looksmaxxxer
View attachment 217836
Dr dray has a video on YouTube about this.
You need to mix it with benzoyl peroxide, so you don’t get resistant to it. However, I am unsure if you can become unresistant to it, once’s the damage is done.
But check add Dray’s video on it, she explains it in detail

• +1
Reactions: Stingray
benzoyl peroxide has helped me in the past with whiteheads and I just got Retin A prescribed. However neither will work on cystic acne.

benzoyl peroxide has helped me in the past with whiteheads and I just got Retin A prescribed. However neither will work on cystic acne.
Then what works on cystic acne then?

• +1
  • Love it
Do you have acne on your upper chest?

Yeah, why
Because that means the underlying cause is hormonal.

As a med student, usually the first line treatment of hormonal cystic acne is retin a and an antibiotic (usually minocycline).

If the first line treatment is ineffective, usually patients go on accutane.

Since this is hormonal acne, solely using topical treatments will be largely ineffective.

Because that means the underlying cause is hormonal.

As a med student, usually the first line treatment of hormonal cystic acne is retin a and an antibiotic (usually minocycline).

If the first line treatment is ineffective, usually patients go on accutane.

Since this is hormonal acne, solely using topical treatments will be largely ineffective.
Im a first year medical student too, and between i just bought retin a and am using a topical antibiotic, is it enough? How do i alternate between them, what do you recommend?

• +1
  • Love it
Im a first year medical student too, and between i just bought retin a and am using a topical antibiotic, is it enough? How do i alternate between them, what do you recommend?
Hmmm, I'm unsure about the science of topical antibiotics, but regular antibiotics reduce sebum, and reduce the acne vulgaris bacteria.

Usually topical remedies will not be as effective as oral; as the bacteria originates and proliferates from a deeper layer from the epidermis.

• +1
Bro i think you need to get on pills too. I have used adapalene, clindamycin, erythromycin, benzoyl peroxide, epiduo forte and nothing worked until i got on Doxycycline 100mg. I still get acne even after combining creams with doxy so im switching to minocycline. Cuck insurance wont cover it at walgreens so I gotta order it from some online pharma to avoid paying $1k.

Bro i think you need to get on pills too. I have used adapalene, clindamycin, erythromycin, benzoyl peroxide, epiduo forte and nothing worked until i got on Doxycycline 100mg. I still get acne even after combining creams with doxy so im switching to minocycline. Cuck insurance wont cover it at walgreens so I gotta order it from some online pharma to avoid paying $1k.
Yeah but you need to get this prescribed to you by a doc right?

• +1
  • Love it
It depends. If you have moderate acne but its cystic you might need a strong salicylic peel. Like 20% plus. At home routines can only do so much but adapalene is now OTC and you can get it at the pharmacy for like 15 bucks. Worked wonders for me

It depends. If you have moderate acne but its cystic you might need a strong salicylic peel. Like 20% plus. At home routines can only do so much but adapalene is now OTC and you can get it at the pharmacy for like 15 bucks. Worked wonders for me
What about retin-a?

• +1
  • Love it
What about retin-a?

Retin A is great if you can get a prescription but be prepared for the flaking, dry skin and sun sensitivity. It's essentially the gold standard for everything skin: acne marks, cystic acne, wrinkles... but if you don't use it consistently for at least 4 months plus, you're going to see very minimal results.

The science is there for tretinoin, but I think more often then not people are turned off by the side effects and discontinue use. Derms typically prescribe retin-a to anyone who asks for it. Whether it be for acne, wrinkles or just general skin health. If you can't get it through your derm, just sign up for Curology online. They do a concoction of niacinamide, azelaic and tretinoin for under $39. And you are actually linked to a professional Dermatologic Nurse Practioner or Physicians Assistant. Their formulas are pretty good and they can start you very mild.

• +1
Reactions: Administrator and TsarTsar444
Retin A is great if you can get a prescription but be prepared for the flaking, dry skin and sun sensitivity. It's essentially the gold standard for everything skin: acne marks, cystic acne, wrinkles... but if you don't use it consistently for at least 4 months plus, you're going to see very minimal results.

The science is there for tretinoin, but I think more often then not people are turned off by the side effects and discontinue use. Derms typically prescribe retin-a to anyone who asks for it. Whether it be for acne, wrinkles or just general skin health. If you can't get it through your derm, just sign up for Curology online. They do a concoction of niacinamide, azelaic and tretinoin for under $39. And you are actually linked to a professional Dermatologic Nurse Practioner or Physicians Assistant. Their formulas are pretty good and they can start you very mild.
I live in shitty Eastern Europe, got retin-a in a drug store withour prescription for 5$ jfl

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 13787, ItsOver.com and MaxxedOut
I live in shitty Eastern Europe, got retin-a in a drug store withour prescription for 5$ jfl
If you haven't started yet take it slow like 2x a week and then work your way up. Also wear SPF or you will cook like a lobster

If you haven't started yet take it slow like 2x a week and then work your way up. Also wear SPF or you will cook like a lobster
Basically the cream says it is 0.05% tretinoin, thats enough right?

• +1
  • Love it
Basically the cream says it is 0.05% tretinoin, thats enough right?
0.05% is on the upper end of a starting concentration for tretinoin- kind of the middle of the road in terms of available concentrations.

0.05% is on the upper end of a starting concentration for tretinoin- kind of the middle of the road in terms of available concentrations.
So this is a good creme?

• +1
  • Love it
Yes, 0.05% tretinoin is good (usually) for acne. Go slowly, be prepared for the dryness, and use SPF.
Whats spf? Oh and i just spread it on my skin, i feel no itching or burning, is this bad?

• +1
  • Love it
Whats spf? Oh and i just spread it on my skin, i feel no itching or burning, is this bad?
Sunscreen. And no, it's not bad if you don't feel any itching or burning- it's just a very common side effect so it's usually helpful to warn people about it.

• +1
Sunscreen. And no, it's not bad if you don't feel any itching or burning- it's just a very common side effect so it's usually helpful to warn people about it.
You are a doc?

• +1
  • Love it
Im on adapalene and its working wonders bro ded srs. No irritation or side effects whatsoever

Make sure to wash your face next morning and apply sunscreen even if you wont leave your home

• +1
Is there anyway to skip the trial? I just want to go straight to making my own concoction.
Just do the trial because its the same concoction you are going to get anyway. You can say more or less what you want in your mix the only thing is that some acids don't mix with tret due to ph.