What's the perfect potassium to sodium ratio intake to debloat but stay healthy?

Mezo103

Mezo103

reincarnatoplasty booked
It is notoriously hard to find an answer to this from reliable sources. The most common ratios I have seen thrown around on the internet range from anything from 2:1(potassium:sodium) to 4:1. I have even seen some claim between 4:1-8:1.

What I do know is that you probably will have a hard time to consume too much potassium. There is evidence that humans evolved to consume over 10 000 mg of potassium per day (there is some evidence that it usually was around 15 000 per day!). And some scientists/doctors claim we really evolved to handle no more than 750 mg of sodium per day. I don't know if the sodium figure is correct, but it probably was way lower than what modern humans consume. So whatever the ideal ratio is, it is probably much higher than what is generally recommended.

Also, considering that 18 000 mg of potassium from supplements have been deemed the upper tolerable limit (no such limit exists for potassium consumed from foods), it seems sensible to me to just focus on getting as much potassium as possible from ones diet, and maybe considering supplementing with some extra.

• +1
Reactions: Whatashame, PSLdemigod, Mezo103 and 1 other person
It is notoriously hard to find an answer to this from reliable sources. The most common ratios I have seen thrown around on the internet range from anything from 2:1(potassium:sodium) to 4:1. I have even seen some claim between 4:1-8:1.

What I do know is that you probably will have a hard time to consume too much potassium. There is evidence that humans evolved to consume over 10 000 mg of potassium per day (there is some evidence that it usually was around 15 000 per day!). And some scientists/doctors claim we really evolved to handle no more than 750 mg of sodium per day. I don't know if the sodium figure is correct, but it probably was way lower than what modern humans consume. So whatever the ideal ratio is, it is probably much higher than what is generally recommended.

Also, considering that 18 000 mg of potassium from supplements have been deemed the upper tolerable limit (no such limit exists for potassium consumed from foods), it seems sensible to me to just focus on getting as much potassium as possible from ones diet, and maybe considering supplementing with some extra.
ty for hiqh iq reply

• +1
Reactions: PSLdemigod and Bobelbrah

how tf did they manage to consume so much pottassium per day. What did they eat

• +1
Reactions: Mezo103
potatoes?

• +1
Reactions: Pumanator, Bobelbrah and Martian
ty for hiqh iq reply
You are welcome, bro.
how tf did they manage to consume so much pottassium per day. What did they eat
potatoes?
Potatoes are a very good source of potassium, especially compared to the foods you usually would eat otherwise (grains). However, I think potato consumption "only" can be traced back about 8 000 years ago. The figures provided above are based on hunter gatherers, so at least 10-12 000 years ago. So instead, the high potassium intake was probably due to our ancestors eating huge quantities of low calorie plant foods, which in this case had to be primarily wild vegetables and fruits. And since our ancestors moved around a lot, their daily caloric needs are estimated to have been around 3 000. This, in combination with low calorie foods high in potassium (i.e plant foods) provided plenty of "dietary room" for humans to reach potassium levels of around 15 000.

I realise that this may rub carnivore folks the wrong way. I am not saying hunter gatherers ate meat, they obviously did. But there is also evidence that hunter gatherers consumed a lot of fiber, over 100 grams (!) a day, which clearly indicates that they consumed huge quantities of plant foods.

So the takeaway: Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Potatoes are good source too and they are my primary source of potassium. Cream of Tartar is a good supplement as well, but you shouldn't rely on that solely for potassium obviously.

• +1
Reactions: Martian

u did ur research, good thread. I also want to know what ppl think about the ideal ratio.