Why can we easily tell other people's attractiveness/ body fat but not our own?

jboard

jboard

Iron
Body fat wise I swear sometimes im 13% and other days im 19%. Why is our self perception so off. Ik because we see ourselves in the mirror often, but why can't we see past that? Can we and is everybody just coping?

Solution
Orc
What about attractive people who think they look bad? Or lean people who think they are fat?
generally the ego just makes you think of yourself as somewhat average, it's not strong enough to do much more than that in most people, hence why superiority complexes are relatively uncommon.

it's a mechanism to prevent harm, rather than to make you feel good about yourself.

Not necessarily. You imply that we perceive ourselves as more attractive than we are, however there's point to be made that people also tend to think of themselves as less attractive due to reasons. This is evident in people who blackpilled themselves, for example
we mostly just perceive ourselves as members of the herd, the human brain desperately wants...
we can but the ego is not willing to accept reality.

we can but the ego is not willing to accept reality.
Not necessarily. You imply that we perceive ourselves as more attractive than we are, however there's point to be made that people also tend to think of themselves as less attractive due to reasons. This is evident in people who blackpilled themselves, for example

• +1
Reactions: jboard
Exactly

What about attractive people who think they look bad? Or lean people who think they are fat?
generally the ego just makes you think of yourself as somewhat average, it's not strong enough to do much more than that in most people, hence why superiority complexes are relatively uncommon.

it's a mechanism to prevent harm, rather than to make you feel good about yourself.

we mostly just perceive ourselves as members of the herd, the human brain desperately wants to fit in, it doesn't want to out-shine.

Solution

we mostly just perceive ourselves as members of the herd, the human brain desperately wants to fit in, it doesn't want to out-shine.
What about individuals who see themselves as not belonging to the herd, having gifts and potential exceeding far beyond the herd?

What about individuals who see themselves as not belonging to the herd, having gifts and potential exceeding far beyond the herd?
they tend to develop ego related disorders that lead to drug addiction, you know what happens with child-stars.

humans aren't really build to deal with being praised too much, we're able to overcome adversity a whole lot better than the lack of it.

they tend to develop ego related disorders that lead to drug addiction, you know what happens with child-stars.

humans aren't really build to deal with being praised too much, we're able to overcome adversity a whole lot better than the lack of it.
What if said individual thinks drugs are disgusting and is hell bent on self-actualization? How rare is a naturally large ego?

Interesting. Eh. I and a few others I know truly do not care about fitting in. Sounds like cope but
Was going to ask this question too. I think people like this end up becoming very self aware, asking questions like the one I just asked, and having a lot of self doubt. Constantly comparing. Makes you dislike the herd. Makes you think in black and white

• +1
Reactions: HarrierDuBois
Was going to ask this question too. I think people like this end up becoming very self aware, asking questions like the one I just asked, and having a lot of self doubt. Constantly comparing. Makes you dislike the rest. Makes you also probably think in black and white
I belong to this group hence my question. Introspection and inquisition becomes a large part of my inner life.

What if said individual thinks drugs are disgusting and is hell bent on self-actualization? How rare is a naturally large ego?
fairly uncommon among men.

big egos are more common among modern women, but they're rarely self-aware of it, which makes them unable to work on anything.

• +1

Do you think incels are more egotistical then normies?

fairly uncommon among men.

big egos are more common among modern women, but they're rarely self-aware of it, which makes them unable to work on anything.
But almost every historically influential person is a male so big egos with strong willpower to impact the world has to be more common in men. The kind modern women have is an entirely shallow one based on appearances, not competence.

Do you think incels are more egotistical then normies?
incels often lack self-awareness more than normal people, that's why they fail at self-improvement and focus on problems that aren't there instead of issues they actually have.

i.e they think their problems are going to be fixed by a jaw implant, when they really just look unhealthy and have too much fat.

But almost every historically influential person is a male so big egos with strong willpower to impact the world has to be more common in men. The kind modern women have is an entirely shallow one based on appearances, not competence.
historical figures are outliers and tell you nothing about the general population, but men tend to have more individuals on the extremes than women do on their bell curve.

• Hmm...