Why did blue eyes evolve?

LaFayette

LaFayette

Bronze
Is there any research that pinpointed to possible reasons blue eyes appeared?
Do they correlate with other genetic benefits? Is there proof that having blue eyes = better cognitive skills/ perception?

If yes, how come something similar has not be said about green eyes?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: SkinjobCatastrophe
aliens

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 7863
F3376DBA 0F18 408A AF47 6B18A31B603E

• JFL
Reactions: Eduardo DOV
arent green eyes the rarest?

arent green eyes the rarest?
They are the rarest, but again, there are enough people that can be used as a study group. For blue eyes, some people argue that they come with (or are an expression of) genes that endow someone with better perception. This makes some sense if you consider that the gene evolved under specific evolutionary pressures in N.Europe, but still I am not very knowledgeable about the topic, so I've decided to ask.

Is there any research that pinpointed to possible reasons blue eyes appeared?
Do they correlate with other genetic benefits? Is there proof that having blue eyes = better cognitive skills/ perception?

If yes, how come something similar has not be said about green eyes?
Blue eyes appeared due to the lack of pigment no longer were men in the harsh regions of africa or the hotter areas of the middle east now they were in the chill plans of eurasia aka the black sea which emerged a man who showed a mutation for lack of pigmentation in his eyes to combat the new area he found himself in. He then proceeded to spread his seed into the form of multiple daughters and sons who spread that gene across eurasia. Blue eyes have also evolved separately in oceania but few have it.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1973
Blue eyes appeared due to the lack of pigment no longer were men in the harsh regions of africa or the hotter areas of the middle east now they were in the chill plans of eurasia aka the black sea which emerged a man who showed a mutation for lack of pigmentation in his eyes to combat the new area he found himself in. He then proceeded to spread his seed into the form of multiple daughters and sons who spread that gene across eurasia. Blue eyes have also evolved separately in oceania but few have it.
That I know....I wasn't clear enough. What I'm asking is if blue eyes= cognitive benefits in most cases of blue eyed people. There is some research correlating it with higher IQ, and it kinda makes sense. However, do blue eyed people have soecific neuro atypica qualities that bestow them better perception?

God loves whites more

• JFL
  • +1
  • WTF
Reactions: Hero of the Imperium, SkinjobCatastrophe, Danish_Retard and 1 other person
They got water in their eyes kek

• JFL
Reactions: Danish_Retard
Lighter eyes = more sensitive to the sun but better vision in darker environments.
Adaptive trait for people from darker areas where there is not much sunlight (Northern Europe example).

• +1
Reactions: piscicide, Hero of the Imperium, LaFayette and 1 other person
Evolved from lack of pigment, spread because of aesthetics.

• +1
Reactions: Hero of the Imperium, JMax and SkinjobCatastrophe
There is lots of research about colored eyes in europe. Happened recently, most evidence points to the fact that more than 10,000 years ago they were almost nonexistent in europe but then they were selected for quickly and spread over all of northern europe. They are heavily selected for sexually but provide no benefit otherwise. Eye color is almost 100% irrelevant in terms of natural fitness. Colors are just good for attracting mates

Also green eyes are not selected for as much as blue eyes, the color is just not as sexually attractive for some reason.

• Hmm...
There is lots of research about colored eyes in europe. Happened recently, most evidence points to the fact that more than 10,000 years ago they were almost nonexistent in europe but then they were selected for quickly and spread over all of northern europe. They are heavily selected for sexually but provide no benefit otherwise. Eye color is almost 100% irrelevant in terms of natural fitness. Colors are just good for attracting mates

Also green eyes are not selected for as much as blue eyes, the color is just not as sexually attractive for some reason.
i remember seeing a bunch of studies where most girls said green eyes were the most attractive

• +1
Reactions: SkinjobCatastrophe
  • +1
Damn son could you link those? That sounds interesting
if you search ''which is the most attractive eye color'' the first result show some sort of test where majority voted green , i would say its a tie tho on blue/green but i myself think a really light green mogs blue but grey mogs them all but they scored very low on that test/study whatever it is

• +1
Reactions: SkinjobCatastrophe and LaFayette