Why do companies keep pushing single cylinder engines?

Jason Voorhees

Jason Voorhees

Professor
400+ cc single-cylinder bikes often struggle with reliability and smooth performance. Many of them face issues like incomplete torque bands, excessive vibrations, poor mileage, and stalling. The larger displacement combined with a 4-valve setup doesn't seem to make sense. Wouldn't it be better to cap it at 250cc or move to a twin 300/400cc setup?

A practical comparison would be the Ninja 300 vs. KTM RC390, where the twin-cylinder design clearly outshines the single. And this isn't even about power-to-displacement ratios—it's purely about refinement and reliability. So why do companies keep pushing single-cylinder engines in this range despite these recurring issues? The only argument I can think of is that using a counter balancer rod is easier in a single cylinder than a a multi and it being easier to maintain. That's about it. Any mechanical engineers or fellow bike enthusiasts can explain this to me?

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: iloveboobs, StarvedEpi, SidharthTheSlayer and 7 others
@iloveboobs

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: iloveboobs, StarvedEpi and chudlite
@Alt Number 3 @User28823

• +1
  • Hmm...
@chudlite @Foreverbrad @Flowerpot

• +1
  • Hmm...
@vernier @wishIwasSalludon

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: iloveboobs, StarvedEpi and vernier
dnrd

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: User28823, iloveboobs, haramzada and 1 other person
Never knew u into bikes

• +1
Reactions: Jason Voorhees
But 500cc two stroke old fashioned motocross mogs

• +1
Reactions: whiteislandpill and Jason Voorhees
this is the most normal post u tagged me in

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: truthhurts and Jason Voorhees
Can't help u bhai, I'm studying bio in hopes of becoming a doctor to perform surgery on myself.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: truthhurts, whiteislandpill and Jason Voorhees
But 500cc two stroke old fashioned motocross mogs
Oh yea for sure. Insane power-to-weight ratio and violent torque delivery. Literally feel like riding the dragon.

• +1
Reactions: whiteislandpill and ihearvoices
I want to get a motorcycle but my parents wont let me
Why's that? I've been driving motorcycles since I was 15. Literally drove them in the main city without any gear or driving license.

• +1
Reactions: wishIwasSalludon
Why's that? I've been driving motorcycles since I was 15. Literally drove them in the main city without any gear or driving license.
They’re afraid that I’ll die

• JFL
They’re afraid that I’ll die
High inhib parents honestly I dont like that kind of parenting at all. Sheltering your kids from life experiences at some point arr going to have to learn how to ride a bike.

• +1
Reactions: wishIwasSalludon
High inhib parents honestly I dont like that kind of parenting at all. Sheltering your kids from life experiences at some point arr going to have to learn how to ride a bike.
I’m going to get one once I move out

• +1
Reactions: Jason Voorhees and chudlite
@chudlite @Foreverbrad @Flowerpot
A practical comparison would be the Ninja 300 vs. KTM RC390, where the twin-cylinder design clearly outshines the single. And this isn't even about power-to-displacement ratios—it's purely about refinement and reliability. So why do companies keep pushing single-cylinder engines in this range despite these recurring issues? The only argument I can think of is that using a counter balancer rod is easier in a single cylinder than a a multi and it being easier to maintain. That's about it. Any mechanical engineers or fellow bike enthusiasts can explain this to me?
@StarvedEpi has a ninja 300 if my memory serves me correctly

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: StarvedEpi and Jason Voorhees
@Gaygymmaxx

still using gas
you lil guzzleers are gonna learn one day when you get static shocked by the future

• +1
Jews are at fault somehow I'm sure of it.

• JFL
Reactions: JizzFarmer and Jason Voorhees
Jews are at fault somehow I'm sure of it.

no thats @ey88 im studying business
I swear you guys are like thr same person. He had the same avi as yours iirc. I couldn't tell those accounts apart

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: ey88 and chudlite
Seems like no one on thr forum is into bikes.
the only bike i like is this -:
Hero_Honda_Splendor_2007.jpg

• JFL
Reactions: iloveboobs, GigaStacySexual and Jason Voorhees
I swear you guys are like thr same person. He had the same avi as yours iirc. I couldn't tell those accounts apart
yeah we tried making a chud clan that unfortunately fell apart, it was me @ey88 @lucifer6969 @ElTruecel and @northafricanmogger

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: northafricanmogger, ElTruecel, ey88 and 1 other person
I don't say it out loud, like "jew"

It's not like "jo"

It's with a snare, and a distasteful snicker, an h in the middle that drags the word out and makes it even more sinister

Jheough... (Jhe eugh)

• JFL
Reactions: Tabula Rasa and Jason Voorhees
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: matka, horizontallytall and Gaygymmaxx
I don't say it out loud, like "jew"

It's not like "jo"

It's with a snare, and a distasteful snicker, an h in the middle that drags the word out and makes it even more sinister

Jheough... (Jhe eugh)

sounds like joker

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: ey88 and Gaygymmaxx
I haven’t chosen what type of engineering yet

I was thinking mechanical but it seems hard and too much work on a computer for me

I think I’m gonna just do civil instead
yeah i lowkey wanna switch to comp sci but i cba ill just start a company after i save up enough money

something to do with trucks, that way ill get to travel and get paid same time, ill start my company on the 28th of the month @Gaygymmaxx

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: ey88 and Gaygymmaxx
yeah i lowkey wanna switch to comp sci but i cba ill just start a company after i save up enough money

something to do with trucks, that way ill get to travel and get paid same time, ill start my company on the 28th of the month @Gaygymmaxx
Nigger ur gonna save up money in 13 days

Next 28th won't hit like this one

I'm unrionically gonna make all my OLD accounts and post on insta finally on that day

And told some niggas I know irl to make moves

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: ey88 and chudlite
Nigger ur gonna save up money in 13 days

Next 28th won't hit like this one

I'm unrionically gonna make all my OLD accounts and post on insta finally on that day

And told some niggas I know irl to make moves
i meant perhaps in the upcoming years, whats so special about this 28?

Computer science is fun, I have a class for that in my program, it’s really easy stuff tho it probably gets fucked

• Woah
Reactions: StarvedEpi
to save costs. also despite the benefits there is still a shit ton of demand for lower cc engines, especially by the youth

cause ppl will still buy it

yeah we tried making a chud clan that unfortunately fell apart, it was me @ey88 @lucifer6969 @ElTruecel and @northafricanmogger
Im the chud god the first and the last, the alpha and the omega, before others chuds are I AM
AF6EE19B BC36 4ABA 8733 0C61E7B3DAB9

400+ cc single-cylinder bikes often struggle with reliability and smooth performance. Many of them face issues like incomplete torque bands, excessive vibrations, poor mileage, and stalling. The larger displacement combined with a 4-valve setup doesn't seem to make sense. Wouldn't it be better to cap it at 250cc or move to a twin 300/400cc setup?

Why do Haitian cannibals eat @Jason Voorhees??

i cannont let that fall apart chud forever

• +1
Reactions: chudlite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back