😳

D

Deleted member 15854

Kraken
Nobody ever addresses the question of WHY/WHEN to do recursion. For example. Every one of these tasks can be solved without recursion or iteration. Recursion is literally the slowest most cumbersome method. The problem is this: If you focus on Recursion as the "cool new tool" for your toolbox - then every time you see a problem that can be broken into sub-problems, you'll use recursion! Nobody teaches you to recognise when it's the "right" tool : / Here's a default: Recursion is almost always the wrong tool for the job! ... it's almost a tool of last resort! Certainly it's not the right tool for most of the recursion examples you'll see online. I sense a rage storm brewing ... but, don't sh-tpost me just yet... Now, I have to be careful. I'm really not trying to dump on anyone here... recursion is a very cool paradigm to understand, definitely. But, like any tool... you need to know when it's use is appropriate. How bad can it be? It gets the job done... To answer that, let me introduce you to Ted. Ted is a builder, and he's come to work on your house. Ted has all the latest tools at his disposal, but he's never been shown when/why to use them ... let's follow Ted around... Hanging some picture frames? No problem... Nails go in holes... So, Ted drills some holes and puts nails in them. Job done! Putting up a heavy bookshelf? No problem ... Ted hammers a few screws into the wall. Perfect! Need a new roof??? ... Well, Ted realised very early in his career, that the ONLY way to build roofs is to start with the foundations and work upwards... it's literally the only way that makes sense. So, he bulldozes the house and starts again : ) Ted, to be fair, is a truly terrible builder : / Software Development is an Engineering Discipline it's not just the How that's important... anyone can learn the How. Even Ted. It's the Why and the When... and it seems like nobody is teaching that, mainly because... well, it gets complicated : / ... It also offends anyone who's just cracked recursion, and is feeling (quite rightly) very proud of themselves. Take the first example... (I know, I know... again, hear me out) It certainly "looks" VERY recursive... and that's the danger. When you've just got a shiny new hammer, everything around you looks like a nail! But it's obviously a great example of When NOT to do recursion. It's a great teaching prop - but an awful candidate. So, if you're going to look at the problem long enough to understand its recursive nature ... you should probably also see that it's almost half of a square. We all know a square can be formed by two triangles! We notice that we can put two identical triangle-ish shapes together and they almost make a square... but it's shape is a little off : The shape is (n) by (n+1) ... or (n+1) by (n) ... So, it's slightly rectangular! One side is exactly 1 larger than the other. And if a rectangle is Width * Height .... Then our triangle MUST be (Width * Height) / 2 The solution is : N * (N+1) / 2 ... nothing fancy. We just had to ignore the shiny recursive pattern in front of our eyes : ))) But you all know that (hopefully), so why am I mentioning it? Before you all get mad at me... Yes... I know the first example is just to teach recursion in a simple way. I do 'get' that! ... Realise, that I'm just using it as an obvious example of how a pattern that looks VERY recursive isn't always a good candidate. Unfortunately, it usually isn't so obvious! Remember: If you're looking at a problem through "recursive glasses" ... it WILL soon look recursive ; ) Even worse, many people around you will congratulate you on choosing a GREAT tool ... it's just not the RIGHT tool: / So, learn recursion. But... - Recognise that recursion is awfully restrictive for a hundred reasons you probably won't fully appreciate till later. - Recursion is almost always the wrong tool for the job !!! Consider it a red flag, and think a little more first. - Perversely, it also happens to be the thing they're prompting you to demonstrate in a job interview : O And be aware that every problem given here, has a nice neat fixed-time expression ... in fact, it's hard to find a "recursion example" that doesn't have a linear or iterative expression. Now... I'm an (admittedly grumpy) old ASM coder, but here's some facts that might shock you... The Josephus Problem : It looks recursive... but is solvable in 3 CPU Opcodes. Literally, the whole compiled code takes less space than it takes to store the word "Josephus", and it has no loops, uses no memory, makes no calls and uses no stack! It isn't any more complex in a high level language either ... just nicer to read. The Towers of Hanoi : ... Wow, now that MUST be recursive, right ??? I mean... look at it go! Now, I know when I say this, a whole bunch of people will get salty... but the solution is only ONE opcode! Just a few bytes! That one opcode can calculate any 'move' of the solution, independently of the others ... so, you can just call it in a loop if you want the full solution. The C/C++ code for it is just a couple of short lines! I doubt the python is much bigger (I don't use Python) Binary Count Problems : Similar to the "Towers Of Hanoi problem", any problem which is tied to a binary sequence will look VERY recursive. This is because a binary count looks very recursive... Learn to spot when apparent recursion is just following a binary sequence! It happens so often you'll start seeing it everywhere! It can make the difference between a simple counter (iterative) solution ... and a very expensive, inflexible and utterly pointless recursive solution. The Steps Problem : and any recursive-looking problem that requires you to use the Fibonacci sequence. Fibonacci looks VERY recursive... and the solution to avoiding recursion isn't exactly obvious ... but Fibonacci turns up SO often in algorithms that you should probably be aware that you can calculate any Fibonacci number N, without solving ANY previous Fibonacci number... so, in production code, you'd NEVER use a recursive solution ! If interested, look up "Fibonacci Dijkstra" for a massive speed-up ... and "Fibonacci Benet" for a clever recursion-avoiding trick to memorise and put in your mental toolbox : ) And, don't feel bad... really! It takes experience to start spotting alternatives to recursion... and sometimes (rarely) recursion really IS the right solution... although, even then, you have much nicer options for implementing it that will become apparent with other tools, like Queues and Thread pools. So, having said all that... Don't get me wrong... if you're trying to ace an interview, and the problem looks recursive. They're probably hoping you'll show them a recursive solution and be able to explain it to them. So, for GODS SAKE LEARN RECURSION! This video is GREAT for that... truly! One of the best. But, afterwards, if you really want to stand out to the interviewer ... mention it! Say "Of course, I'm not entirely sure it's a recursive problem... I think it can be solved in linear time" ... see if they just say "No, it's fine, you've done what we wanted" ... or, if they say "Really? Explain..." Then, you can wow them with ... well, not just the size of your toolbox : ) ... but your deeper understanding of the Whys and Whens... and, importantly, the When Nots ; ) In conclusion Stick with it! Practice! Learn it inside out... till you're ready to explain it to an interviewer! Then be prepared to spend the rest of your career avoiding it - and I mean "like a crazy Ex girlfriend/boyfriend" level of avoiding ; )))) Trust me, it's usually the right instinct.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8608
So true!!

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 15854 and Deleted member 8608
Nobody ever addresses the question of WHY/WHEN to do recursion. For example. Every one of these tasks can be solved without recursion or iteration. Recursion is literally the slowest most cumbersome method. The problem is this: If you focus on Recursion as the "cool new tool" for your toolbox - then every time you see a problem that can be broken into sub-problems, you'll use recursion! Nobody teaches you to recognise when it's the "right" tool : / Here's a default: Recursion is almost always the wrong tool for the job! ... it's almost a tool of last resort! Certainly it's not the right tool for most of the recursion examples you'll see online. I sense a rage storm brewing ... but, don't sh-tpost me just yet... Now, I have to be careful. I'm really not trying to dump on anyone here... recursion is a very cool paradigm to understand, definitely. But, like any tool... you need to know when it's use is appropriate. How bad can it be? It gets the job done... To answer that, let me introduce you to Ted. Ted is a builder, and he's come to work on your house. Ted has all the latest tools at his disposal, but he's never been shown when/why to use them ... let's follow Ted around... Hanging some picture frames? No problem... Nails go in holes... So, Ted drills some holes and puts nails in them. Job done! Putting up a heavy bookshelf? No problem ... Ted hammers a few screws into the wall. Perfect! Need a new roof??? ... Well, Ted realised very early in his career, that the ONLY way to build roofs is to start with the foundations and work upwards... it's literally the only way that makes sense. So, he bulldozes the house and starts again : ) Ted, to be fair, is a truly terrible builder : / Software Development is an Engineering Discipline it's not just the How that's important... anyone can learn the How. Even Ted. It's the Why and the When... and it seems like nobody is teaching that, mainly because... well, it gets complicated : / ... It also offends anyone who's just cracked recursion, and is feeling (quite rightly) very proud of themselves. Take the first example... (I know, I know... again, hear me out) It certainly "looks" VERY recursive... and that's the danger. When you've just got a shiny new hammer, everything around you looks like a nail! But it's obviously a great example of When NOT to do recursion. It's a great teaching prop - but an awful candidate. So, if you're going to look at the problem long enough to understand its recursive nature ... you should probably also see that it's almost half of a square. We all know a square can be formed by two triangles! We notice that we can put two identical triangle-ish shapes together and they almost make a square... but it's shape is a little off : The shape is (n) by (n+1) ... or (n+1) by (n) ... So, it's slightly rectangular! One side is exactly 1 larger than the other. And if a rectangle is Width * Height .... Then our triangle MUST be (Width * Height) / 2 The solution is : N * (N+1) / 2 ... nothing fancy. We just had to ignore the shiny recursive pattern in front of our eyes : ))) But you all know that (hopefully), so why am I mentioning it? Before you all get mad at me... Yes... I know the first example is just to teach recursion in a simple way. I do 'get' that! ... Realise, that I'm just using it as an obvious example of how a pattern that looks VERY recursive isn't always a good candidate. Unfortunately, it usually isn't so obvious! Remember: If you're looking at a problem through "recursive glasses" ... it WILL soon look recursive ; ) Even worse, many people around you will congratulate you on choosing a GREAT tool ... it's just not the RIGHT tool: / So, learn recursion. But... - Recognise that recursion is awfully restrictive for a hundred reasons you probably won't fully appreciate till later. - Recursion is almost always the wrong tool for the job !!! Consider it a red flag, and think a little more first. - Perversely, it also happens to be the thing they're prompting you to demonstrate in a job interview : O And be aware that every problem given here, has a nice neat fixed-time expression ... in fact, it's hard to find a "recursion example" that doesn't have a linear or iterative expression. Now... I'm an (admittedly grumpy) old ASM coder, but here's some facts that might shock you... The Josephus Problem : It looks recursive... but is solvable in 3 CPU Opcodes. Literally, the whole compiled code takes less space than it takes to store the word "Josephus", and it has no loops, uses no memory, makes no calls and uses no stack! It isn't any more complex in a high level language either ... just nicer to read. The Towers of Hanoi : ... Wow, now that MUST be recursive, right ??? I mean... look at it go! Now, I know when I say this, a whole bunch of people will get salty... but the solution is only ONE opcode! Just a few bytes! That one opcode can calculate any 'move' of the solution, independently of the others ... so, you can just call it in a loop if you want the full solution. The C/C++ code for it is just a couple of short lines! I doubt the python is much bigger (I don't use Python) Binary Count Problems : Similar to the "Towers Of Hanoi problem", any problem which is tied to a binary sequence will look VERY recursive. This is because a binary count looks very recursive... Learn to spot when apparent recursion is just following a binary sequence! It happens so often you'll start seeing it everywhere! It can make the difference between a simple counter (iterative) solution ... and a very expensive, inflexible and utterly pointless recursive solution. The Steps Problem : and any recursive-looking problem that requires you to use the Fibonacci sequence. Fibonacci looks VERY recursive... and the solution to avoiding recursion isn't exactly obvious ... but Fibonacci turns up SO often in algorithms that you should probably be aware that you can calculate any Fibonacci number N, without solving ANY previous Fibonacci number... so, in production code, you'd NEVER use a recursive solution ! If interested, look up "Fibonacci Dijkstra" for a massive speed-up ... and "Fibonacci Benet" for a clever recursion-avoiding trick to memorise and put in your mental toolbox : ) And, don't feel bad... really! It takes experience to start spotting alternatives to recursion... and sometimes (rarely) recursion really IS the right solution... although, even then, you have much nicer options for implementing it that will become apparent with other tools, like Queues and Thread pools. So, having said all that... Don't get me wrong... if you're trying to ace an interview, and the problem looks recursive. They're probably hoping you'll show them a recursive solution and be able to explain it to them. So, for GODS SAKE LEARN RECURSION! This video is GREAT for that... truly! One of the best. But, afterwards, if you really want to stand out to the interviewer ... mention it! Say "Of course, I'm not entirely sure it's a recursive problem... I think it can be solved in linear time" ... see if they just say "No, it's fine, you've done what we wanted" ... or, if they say "Really? Explain..." Then, you can wow them with ... well, not just the size of your toolbox : ) ... but your deeper understanding of the Whys and Whens... and, importantly, the When Nots ; ) In conclusion Stick with it! Practice! Learn it inside out... till you're ready to explain it to an interviewer! Then be prepared to spend the rest of your career avoiding it - and I mean "like a crazy Ex girlfriend/boyfriend" level of avoiding ; )))) Trust me, it's usually the right instinct.
True, i thought about itt too

• Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 15854
Dnr + i mog

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 15854