日本語

Oh right. Do what I do and read the lyrics from songs. Maybe you’ll come across kanji you don’t know yet but I doubt since you know 3500. And I know like, what? 100 at most? I don’t know.

Sometimes rather uncommon hyougai kanji is used, I've seen 歌う written in many different forms. I still need to learn many kyuujitai (traditional form of the simplified characters which isn't always shown on japanese fonts and which sometimes isn't even encoded into the unicode)

• +1
Reactions: Michael Myers
Sometimes rather uncommon hyougai kanji is used, I've seen 歌う written in many different forms. I still need to learn many kyuujitai (traditional form of the simplified characters which isn't always shown on japanese fonts and which sometimes isn't even encoded into the unicode)
Can you name any examples of the traditional form of simplified characters you’re talking about? Japanese would have been a lot easier if it was just Hiragana. 🤓

• +1
There’s a bunch of them there. Are you gonna learn all of those?

Yes, I already learned like half of those, but no resouce online shows all the kyuujitai of all the commonly used characters (e.g. all characters with the ⻌ rdical are simplified and the traditional character has this rafical ⻍, so later I plan on creating a website that shows the kyuujitai of all shinjitai from the kyouiku, touyou, jouyou, jinmeiyou and commonly used hyougai in one page.

• Woah
Yes, I already learned like half of those, but no resouce online shows all the kyuujitai of all the commonly used characters (e.g. all characters with the ⻌ rdical are simplified and the traditional character has this rafical ⻍, so later I plan on creating a website that shows the kyuujitai of all shinjitai from the kyouiku, touyou, jouyou, jinmeiyou and commonly used hyougai in one page.
And what does learning this help you with exactly? What is your goal here? Maybe if I am fluent enough in conversations I will look into this as well. For now my goal is to be able to watch a horror movie without subtitles.

And what does learning this help you with exactly? What is your goal here? Maybe if I am fluent enough in conversations I will look into this as well. For now my goal is to be able to watch a horror movie without subtitles.

99.9% of japanese learners never take kanji learning this far or at least not after a few years of studying (they could get there after decades of using the language) I'm doing this because kanji is the main reason for which I started learning this language (I also learned some mandarin and will keep learning it soon), there is not much practical use in this (although you will eventually find them at least once, sometimes for no reason traditional versions or variants are used, specially in novels).

• +1
99.9% of japanese learners never take kanji learning this far or at least not after a few years of studying (they could get there after decades of using the language) I'm doing this because kanji is the main reason for which I started learning this language (I also learned some mandarin and will keep learning it soon), there is not much practical use in this (although you will eventually find them at least once, sometimes for no reason traditional versions or variants are used, specially in novels).
Makes sense. Striving for the best of the best is quite admirable. In fact I may or may not follow in your footsteps as soon as I become fluent in conversational Japanese.

• +1
Reactions: Splinter901
Makes sense. Striving for the best of the best is quite admirable. In fact I may or may not follow in your footsteps as soon as I become fluent in conversational Japanese.

Striving for best of the best in chinese characters would be becoming a scholar and learning over 60k characters.

• +1
Striving for best of the best in chinese characters would be becoming a scholar and learning over 60k characters.
I remember my history high school teacher telling us in class (he was a huge fan of Japan, went to Japan a couple of times and he also showed Suicide Club to some classes, unfortunately not mine) that there are so many characters that even the most fluent person would not be able to know all of them since there’s too much of them, thousands of them.

I remember my history high school teacher telling us in class (he was a huge fan of Japan, went to Japan a couple of times and he also showed Suicide Club to some classes, unfortunately not mine) that there are so many characters that even the most fluent person would not be able to know all of them since there’s too much of them, thousands of them.

The largest japanese kanji dictionary Dai Kanwa Jiten has around 65k characters
Largest hanzi dictionary Zhonghua Zihai like 85k

• +1
The largest japanese kanji dictionary dai kanwa jiten has around 65k characters
Large hanzi dictionary Zhonghua Zihai like 85k
brb gonna study dai kanwa jiten

• JFL
  • +1
  • +1
I wanna read it someday. Can I find a pdf online?

According to this page the digital version isn't easily available and is only for educational and research institutes and libraries.

Dunno how much disk size the digital version would take as they are many big books.

• Woah
brag thread

• JFL
That's true in other languages too. Not even native speakers know all the words in their native languages.

That's true in other languages too. Not even native speakers know all the words in their native languages.
Probably so, but I’d say East Asian alphabets are the most difficult anyway.

@TRUE_CEL @Splinter901 speak Chinese you so-called humans

@TRUE_CEL @Splinter901 speak Chinese you so-called humans

それでは中国語で話して、我は始める、你好我的名字不是黑鬼和我不會說中文

Last edited:
  • JFL
  • WTF
Reactions: Michael Myers and Deleted member 24278
  • JFL
それでは中国語で話して、我は始める、你好我的名字不是黑鬼和我不會說中文
I understand like the first half of this sentence. 😹

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Splinter901 and Deleted member 24278
I understand like the first half of this sentence. 😹

Do u mean the japanese part or just the first half of it? The second part of the sentence is mandarin in traditional characters.

Do u mean the japanese part or just the first half of it? The second part of the sentence is mandarin in traditional characters.
Oh wtf? I thought you were going all N5 with the second sentence. So that was in mandarin. Makes sense why I didn’t understand it. So I understood the Japanese part only!

Yay. *taps myself on back*

おめでっと TRUE_CELーくん!!^_^

Oh wtf? I thought you were going all N5 with the second sentence. So that was in mandarin. Makes sense why I didn’t understand it. So I understood the Japanese part only!

Yay. *taps myself on back*

おめでっと TRUE_CELーくん!!^_^

n5 is the lowest level n1 is the highest, the equivalent to the european framework would be n5 = a 1, n1 = high b2 or low c1

• +1
n5 is the lowest level n1 is the highest, the equivalent to the european framework would be n5 = a 1, n1 = high b2 or low c1
Ffs I keep mixing it up. I meant N1 then. My bad. Or should I say N一番.

That’s it. My first Japanese pun. 🥹

• +1
ポケットモンスター金に日本語で遊び始めました、たくさん建物の建築が東洋風みたい、平仮名しか使ないだから讀みの台詞ちょうっと難しい。

Wqewqe

Last edited: