A MIRROR IS NOT WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE IRL

Body Dismorphia Disorder

My face looks 10 times more symmetrical and wide when I look in the mirror, meanwhile in a TRUE MIRROR my face looks fucking long as shit and my nose looks SO FUCKING LONG. It's fucking OVER
The reason why u look good is because u automatically angle your face in a position that looks good, whereas in real life u don’t know what angle looks good. I suggest u stop taking pics from front cameras, and get others to take them of u. This you’ll become more familiar with your face and then you’ll see your true problems - not your current differences

elab

wouldn't that make you notice your flaws more, not less?
"The mere-exposure effect is a psychological phenomenon by which people tend to develop a preference for things merely because they are familiar with them. "

You see your face so much that you start to develop a preference for it, in other words you start thinking your face is more attractive than it really is.

• +1
Reactions: Golden Glass
Rationally, intuitively, thinking like an economist or a logician, you might think so, but psych studies have consistently demonstrated otherwise. It’s called the mere exposure effect.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect

Skip to minute 1:45 of this video to see how visceral the reaction can be.

Yeah but a true mirror is also not a great way to see yourself because your brain still has that strong imagine of your mirrored face and it will compare the two making your small flaws and asymmetries much more obvious for you than they would be for others.

You see it all the time in the rating section when someone will list a bunch of their flaws and usually with over half of them you really have to closely for a while to spot them

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1140
STFU SUBHUMAN

• +1
Reactions: HighIQcel
Yeah but a true mirror is also not a great way to see yourself because your brain still has that strong imagine of your mirrored face and it will compare the two making your small flaws and asymmetries much more obvious for you than they would be for others.

You see it all the time in the rating section when someone will list a bunch of their flaws and usually with over half of them you really have to closely for a while to spot them
A true mirror is literally the best way along with an in motion video from a good distance without lens distortion. It’s the most accurate. If you think your brain is “exaggerating” imperfections, you’re honestly and respectfully, coping. Unless you’re diagnosed with BDD, all you will see is the reality of what you look like.

• +1
Reactions: hebbewem
I would rope Immediatly looking at myself in the true mirror

• JFL
just put 2 mirrors or use frontal camera lol

just put 2 mirrors or use frontal camera lol

Frontal camera will have lens distortion.

And for 2 mirrors to work accurately, it needs to be 2 mirrors of a specific type (Wikipedia “first surface mirror), And they need to be touching at a perfect 90 degree angle.

No it’s actually more complicated (and the answer is the contrary).

They say they don’t even see a difference between both. But that’s only because they’ve always seen your flaws. The only case where someone else would ever think you look worse in a mirror is if they’ve been exposed to your face constantly for a very long time. To strangers, acquaintances, and most friends, you will look the same in both, but only because your flaws are equally apparent in both.

And you only start to recognize these flaws everyone else sees once you see yourself in pictures, video, or a “true” mirror.

This has already happened twice with me in PMs on this website.

In one case someone had a noticeable eye asymmetry. He tells me he never noticed until he flipped the image on his phone. He says his family says he looks the same in both and it’s driving him crazyHe sends me both and asks me if I see a difference between the two, and asks me how noticeable his eye asymmetry is.

I told him
a. both pictures are the same to me.
b. your symmetry is equally bad and noticeable In both pictures.
c. You just have been used to seeing yourself in the mirror your whole life, so due to the mere exposure effect, you never truly grasped how noticeable your flaws are. Everyone else sees your flaws equally whether they be in a mirrored image or in the real thing.

So it’s not that seeing yourself in a true mirror or pictures exaggerates your flaws, on the contrary, seeing yourself in a regular mirror your entire life has numbed your brain from being able to recognize the flaws you actually have.

To add to this,

Whenever I'm trying to take a "good" picture, I simply flip it around and shit, usually horizontally.

This gives me a really quick window into any "off" features, proportions, symmetry etc.

From there I can try to correct it

• +1
Fuck you faggot. Once again I shouldn't have seen u as my friend
Chill bro, we are both subhumans. Is it wrong to state facts?
This is why we cope together, because we are both peanut skull abominations.

To add to this,

Whenever I'm trying to take a "good" picture, I simply flip it around and shit, usually horizontally.

This gives me a really quick window into any "off" features, proportions, symmetry etc.

From there I can try to correct it
Same.

@LordNorwood @Golden Glass I noticed I have a weird problem but I don’t know what the reason for this is. Maybe you guys might know better. Let me explain the problem first.

When I take pictures of myself in a mirror standing far away (like 6-8 feet away) my face looks a lot more asymmetrical than when I take a picture of myself using the back camera of my phone from 6-8 feet away. In this case it looks very symmetrical. In the mirror case though it looks very asymmetrical. If the image is merely flipped (in the mirror case), shouldn’t it also be just as symmetrical as in the back camera case? I don’t understand why there’s such a big difference in symmetry.

@LordNorwood @Golden Glass I noticed I have a weird problem but I don’t know what the reason for this is. Maybe you guys might know better. Let me explain the problem first.

When I take pictures of myself in a mirror standing far away (like 6-8 feet away) my face looks a lot more asymmetrical than when I take a picture of myself using the back camera of my phone from 6-8 feet away. In this case it looks very symmetrical. In the mirror case though it looks very asymmetrical. If the image is merely flipped (in the mirror case), shouldn’t it also be just as symmetrical as in the back camera case? I don’t understand why there’s such a big difference in symmetry.
Could be because in a mirror phone selfie, You are never looking straight at the camera, I.e. the camera will always have to be off center enough so that it doesn’t block your face in the mirror.

So while you can be looking right at the camera, you won’t be looking straight to the camera.

The same isn’t true for photos where you place a camera perfectly(or close) to eye level, and the camera is perfectly (or close) straight in front of you.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: ArabIncel and Deleted member 1140
Chill bro, we are both subhumans. Is it wrong to state facts?
This is why we cope together, because we are both peanut skull abominations.
I'm not your friend, let that be clear. Why do you swear at me like that for no reason whatsoever when I'd break your skull irl?

• JFL
Reactions: KrissKross and Golden Glass
I'm not your friend, let that be clear. Why do you swear at me like that for no reason whatsoever when I'd break your skull irl?
Why aren’t you my friend? I’ve done nothing bad to you.
I just don’t play well with others sometimes...

Why aren’t you my friend? I’ve done nothing bad to you.
I just don’t play well with others sometimes...
Welcome to my ignore list

No it’s actually more complicated (and the answer is the contrary).

They say they don’t even see a difference between both. But that’s only because they’ve always seen your flaws. The only case where someone else would ever think you look worse in a mirror is if they’ve been exposed to your face constantly for a very long time. To strangers, acquaintances, and most friends, you will look the same in both, but only because your flaws are equally apparent in both.

And you only start to recognize these flaws everyone else sees once you see yourself in pictures, video, or a “true” mirror.

This has already happened twice with me in PMs on this website.

In one case someone had a noticeable eye asymmetry. He tells me he never noticed until he flipped the image on his phone. He says his family says he looks the same in both and it’s driving him crazyHe sends me both and asks me if I see a difference between the two, and asks me how noticeable his eye asymmetry is.

I told him
a. both pictures are the same to me.
b. your symmetry is equally bad and noticeable In both pictures.
c. You just have been used to seeing yourself in the mirror your whole life, so due to the mere exposure effect, you never truly grasped how noticeable your flaws are. Everyone else sees your flaws equally whether they be in a mirrored image or in the real thing.

So it’s not that seeing yourself in a true mirror or pictures exaggerates your flaws, on the contrary, seeing yourself in a regular mirror your entire life has numbed your brain from being able to recognize the flaws you actually have.

i saw my best friend in mirror and he descended hard from high normie to truecel, his nose got wider, his IPD was worse and his mouth was messed up and asymmetric in the mirror since i am used to seeing him irl, i think people you know well see you as your mirrorself as they become accustomed to your flaws while people you newly meet are not accustomed to them and see your picture self, i am not 100% convinced of this though since i got some female attention throughout the years HOWEVER i am 100% certain that if the females saw my picture self when i first meet them they would without a doubt not want to be associated with me so i am not sure

This again. Ask someone you know to stand in front of a mirror. They look exactly the same as they do without the mirror. Case closed.
100 %. case fucking closed lmfao. How can people still be arguing about this common sense.

I thought I was super asymmetrical, but then I started noticing the same flaws in pretty much everyone. But it's super difficult to focus on it. That's good tho.

My face looks 10 times more symmetrical and wide when I look in the mirror, meanwhile in a TRUE MIRROR my face looks fucking long as shit and my nose looks SO FUCKING LONG. It's fucking OVER
The front camera is what you really look like