ACCUTANE HAIRLOSS= OVER

Deleted member 7173

Deleted member 7173

Virgin 6'2 Pretty boy Mogger (Look at AVI and see)
I've researched this topic of accutane hairloss for the past 3 months, because I am currently experiencing it. At first, I thought it was telogen effluvium, but I now learned that I likely have diffuse thinning (death sentence).

Here is a copy pasted comment of user "Lamar" at an acne board-

Accutane hairloss appears to present itself in three forms. TE, Diffuse AA and an acceleration of MPB.

For the latter i believe the process needs to of been established before hand for it to be accelerated. If you had no signs of MPB before you began accutane, then i do not believe what you are suffering from now is MPB.

That being said, diffuse AA can present itself exactly like MPB in some cases. In that the inflammation involved in AA can cause a pattern similar to MPB to emerge. What we need to remember about AA is that the follicles are not permanently damaged, assuming the process corrects itself at some point, the hairs all have potential to regrow to pretty much their original state. This is why many dermatologists tell you to use minoxidil when the shedding stops (or even if it doesn’t).

I actually believe TE is not seen very frequently in accutane hair loss. I am of the belief most cases are Diffuse AA, i have read of cases (and been informed by Tony Chu) that Diffuse AA induced by accutane can resolve from anything from two months, up to two years (without intervention). Even the short lived cases can involve body hair loss (most frequently the eyebrows/lashes, but also the pubic region).

It is obvious however that the hair loss can seemingly persist for life.

AA is an auto immune disorder. The real reason why the hairloss is initiated from accutane is unknown. I have several theories, ranging from a huge increase in staphylococcus aureus (Nearly every patient has this from accutane) these bacteria survive much better on dry skin than other bacteria. It has been proven that these bacteria secrete toxins which also stimulate the immune system at the hair follicle.

Another theory is that the hair itself is altered in its structure, causing the body to mistakenly attack the hair, the changes can be minuet (not at all noticeable by us) or in some cases a huge difference in the texture of hair, or even the colour, may be enough to trigger the initiation of the immune response.

The latter theory may explain why some people have the hair loss persist for a lifetime and it has been documented in chemotherapy patients (which accutane is a form of).

It could simply be down to the alterations in the immune system that have been extensively linked to accutane, the drug essentially unbalances the immune system and this obviously doesn’t resolve in everyone.

The typical treatments for AA can also be affective for diffuse AA, kenalog intra-dermal shots are probably the most affective, however you do have a greater chance of atrophy. Topical steroids are what i have been using for about 5 months now and they are helping to maintain my hair pretty well. I cannot predict how my hair loss will progress as i know of no one else who has continued with the steroids. This combined with minoxidil does lead to substantial amounts of regrowth, atleast for me and believe me my hair loss is pretty severe.

PUVA treatment is a viable option if you are willing to shave your hair very short, or if the hair loss has become very substantial.

The best advice i can offer is you leave the condition for about a year to see how it runs, if after this time period things aren’t improving then you can begin with the topical steroids to see how you respond. Couple this with minoxidil and you should maintain your hair for many years...

Anything that fights off inflammation is good. Make sure they don’t stimulate your immune system though...

To add to this, I believe none of us should worry too much about this hair loss, which I know is easy to say. But there are treatment options on the horizon, such as stem cell treatment and hair multiplication, to name a few.

Essentially, it is beyond over for my hair. Yes, it is not unheard of getting Telogen Effluvium from accutane, but if you have an itchy scalp along with the hairloss then accutane likely triggered alopecia areta.

Do not take accutane unless you have SEVERE acne. Vitamin b^5 does the same job as accutane but without giving side effects.

Read this thread if you are considering accutane. You might change your mind- https://www.acne.org/forums/topic/152239-the-answers-i-got-from-my-doctor-about-hair-loss/

Last edited:
I don't have acne but I have diffuse thinning is there anything besides minox that helps

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7173
  • +1
Reactions: JustBeCurry
BUT I THOUGHT THE HAIIRLOSS BY ACCUTANE IS MOMENTARY FOR WHEN YOUR USING IT

• +1
Reactions: inceletto
Yes,it's kinda bad ngl

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5912
im bald

• JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: Toth's thot and Good_Little_Goy
BUT I THOUGHT THE HAIIRLOSS BY ACCUTANE IS MOMENTARY FOR WHEN YOUR USING IT
No, it is usually never Telogen Effluvium, but rather diffuse AA. It is unknown why, but accutane has the potential to make your immune system begin attacking your hair follicles. This is apparent if your scalp begins itching while losing hair on accutane. The "itch" is not dandruff, as a derm might say, but rather is your t cells attacking the hair follicle.

Accutane hairloss is never temporary, it is always permanent.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5912
No, it is usually never Telogen Effluvium, but rather diffuse AA. It is unknown why, but accutane has the potential to make your immune system begin attacking your hair follicles. This is apparent if your scalp begins itching while losing hair on accutane. The "itch" is not dandruff, as a derm might say, but rather is your t cells attacking the hair follicle.

Accutane hairloss is never temporary, it is always permanent.
SO IN OTHER WORDS IF YOU HAVE ACNE
YOUR FUCKED

@Native be cautious of accutane bro. If you start experiencing hair shedding, IMMEDIATELY quit taking the drug. That provides the best odds for overcoming this accutane induced diffuse thinning.

Guess I got lucky then
Took 2 cycles of accutane and it worked wonders for me to no lasting side effects, my skin is a lot drier now and when the weather is dry some of the skin in my cheeks shed though, but it's a lot better than having acne, aside from this, zero problems

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5891 and Deleted member 7173
Guess I got lucky then
Took 2 cycles of accutane and it worked wonders for me to no lasting side effects, my skin is a lot drier now and when the weather is dry some of the skin in my cheeks shed though, but it's a lot better than having acne, aside from this, zero problems
I totally agree, it is often very worth it. It is just important to know the hair sideeffects that have the potential to happen

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5891, WannaBeA6 and Deleted member 5912
Wait bro you thought gaston will read this 0D952BEB 6205 4C0D 8133 38C2B94CD1B8

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Good_Little_Goy, Deleted member 5912 and Deleted member 7173
Not sure how much b5 will work to inhibit sebum production if I’m already using 0.1% tretinoin but worth a try before accutane tbf

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7173
Balding is dimorphic and dimorphic = better bro