Adequate protein intake when cutting?

SubhumanCurrycel

SubhumanCurrycel

It’s just hair bro
As I’m reaching my goal weight it’s become more apparent that im going to have to go on an aggressive cut some time. When I cut I want it to be short aggressive to avoid extended periods of catabolism problem is protein intake I hear wildly varying spices problem is most protein intake requirements are adjusted for sedentary individuals

Looking at athletes and fit people

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5852756/

Relevant section: 5.2. Individuals in Energy Restriction

Daily protein requirements are greater than they are during period of energy balance to promote the maintenance or increase in lean body mass.

Resistance exercise should be performed during energy restriction to promote the retention of lean body mass if desired.

For athletes ‘cutting’ weight over an extended period, high quality protein sources such as whey and casein, or a blend of each, should be chosen to optimize appetite control and ensure dietary compliance.

To promote lean body mass retention during weight loss, protein intakes of ~2.3–3.1 g/kg/day have been advocated. Exercise-naive adults who have a greater body fat percentage should aim to achieve the lower end of this range, whereas leaner individuals with resistance-training experience who are more vulnerable to losing lean body mass during energy restriction might aim for the higher end of this range.

Let’s say I try aim for 2.5g/kg, right now I’m 86kg ideally I’d be 90-92 before cutting

90x2.5= 225g protein on a roughly 1500-1700calorie diet?

How the fuck am I supposed to hit that requirement

you also need adequate Tren intake while cutting

I think 2.5g per kg of bodyweight is over the top and very hard to achieve while cutting.
Especially if you don't want to bloat by achieving that number from eating a bunch of protein shakes or puddings and whey powder.

I ate 150-180 grams a day when shredding bodyfat (starting at ~88kg and 15%) and didn't notice any significant muscle loss, as long as I kept training hard during the cut.
Just a ton of steak, chicken, fish, low sodium low fat cottage cheese, plenty of water.

3 grams sounds absurd unless you are in a bulk and in overall positive calories. I don't believe the average 90 kilo guy needs to eat almost 300 grams of protein daily to prevent muscle atrophy, though I respect the study you linked, it only says the amount was advocated, it wasn't followed up or studied for efficiency.

Doesn't sound too healthy for your kidneys either, too much protein is also a thing. Cutting consistently on 200g+ a day could lead to calcium malabsorption.

Article says it was unpreventable even with calcium supplementation, so I would be wary of ultra high protein diets while cutting.
Arnold ate 250g protein daily during bulks... I'll manage on 150-200 a day during a cut as someone 2x smaller than him (y)

• +1
Reactions: SubhumanCurrycel
I think 2.5g per kg of bodyweight is over the top and very hard to achieve while cutting.
Especially if you don't want to bloat by achieving that number from eating a bunch of protein shakes or puddings and whey powder.

I ate 150-180 grams a day when shredding bodyfat (starting at ~88kg and 15%) and didn't notice any significant muscle loss, as long as I kept training hard during the cut.
Just a ton of steak, chicken, fish, low sodium low fat cottage cheese, plenty of water.

3 grams sounds absurd unless you are in a bulk and in overall positive calories. I don't believe the average 90 kilo guy needs to eat almost 300 grams of protein daily to prevent muscle atrophy, though I respect the study you linked, it only says the amount was advocated, it wasn't followed up or studied for efficiency.

Doesn't sound too healthy for your kidneys either, too much protein is also a thing. Cutting consistently on 200g+ a day could lead to calcium malabsorption.
That makes sense, even on a bulk I eat around 150 without much trouble, going over 200g seems overkill.

• +1
Reactions: Gandy
On carnivore I’m getting like 240 grams of protein a day, but not doing carnivore I get like 170-190g and I’m always fine. I don’t think on a normal diet someone hovering between 180lbs-210lbs needs more than 200g a day

• +1
Reactions: SubhumanCurrycel
As much as possible

You don't need anything above 0.8 gs protein/lb to maintain muscle on a cut. There's already been meta analyses (collecting all studies together and finding trend) done on protein intake, and as a whole, higher protein above 0.8 is unneeded.

Google "Menno Henselmans, protein intake while cutting" if you want to actually look at the research.

However, very high protein intakes (1.5-2 gs/lb) has been shown to be effective for recomping, and staying lean while bulking. It seems that protein is impossible to store as bodyfat, and is basically a free calorie (makes sense since the body has to convert protein into glucose and then convert that glucose into fatty acids which is energetically costly resulting in zero bodyfat gain). Essentially, if you add an extra 500 calories of purely protein to what you're currently eating, you won't put on bodyfat

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8988 and SubhumanCurrycel