An intuitive way to minimise the effect of familiarity with your face for accurate self-rating

O

Ocelot

(TL;DR is in bold)

Was viewing a few of the older threads from 18/19, and I got this idea from a @cocainecowboy thread wherein he mentioned how people on this forum begin to get worshipped for their looks because they've built up a reputation on this forum and posted their face several times, even if they're not that good looking, citing none other than @Arceus300. Also, stunning lack of "dn rd" or shitposting back in 18/19 .me days. Over for 2020 .me.

This owes to the often-discussed mere-exposure effect, by virtue of which we tend to like or prefer things as we're familiar with them. This affects our perception of ourselves, as well as other close people, to be better looking or less ugly.

Suppose you don't want to share your face to this forum of insecure social recluses, open to insults and nearly no constructive advice, you could either ask a reliable user to rate you in PMs, or try this.

The halo effect, no introduction required. We all want to be around and do things with attractive people. The same goes for familiar people. The uglier you are, the more difficult it is for someone else to "familiarise" your face due to all the polarising features present, and vice versa.
This is quite a powerful effect though. Someone who is actually a 5.5/10 could believe themselves to be a 7/10 (even a PSL user who's supposed to be aware of what a 7/10 is). It's a form of self-preservation, rating ourselves higher than we are.

In short, I found that comparing yourself directly to attractive people in the following way minimises this. For example, I took a photo of my 3/4th today, and was mirin myself. At the same time, I was watching a song cover by a girl with 10/10 forward growth. I saw her face in 3/4th and the next instant, I saw mine, and all suddenly, the flaws became very apparent. This is how a girl who has never seen you before will see your face.

Just take a picture of yourself and compare yourself to an objectively attractive person in the same angle, lighting etc. instantly. Preferably individually, as in don't put the two pictures/videos side to side, I found this more effective.

How is this any different from what we already do? Instead of looking at the mirror in the morning and wanking to Lachowski videos by mid-day, what you should do is instant comparison, since we're directly seeing both faces, not merely visualise their features and compare it to yours, seeing both is significantly more potent to minimise the mere-exposure effect and more accurately rate yourself.

This might also be why PSL horrifically underrates random greycels.
They compare them to familiar normie faces and think an above average greycel is, say, average. We might have PSL knowledge of features but we're using a flawed tool to utilise it.

I think PSL knowledge mogs trying to compare your face to one specific 7PSL face. A flaw on one face isn't necessarily a flaw on another.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5052
Sounds like bdd-maxxing more than anything.

• +1
Reactions: Mouthbreath