Any tips for job interview - finance sales

Deusmaximus

Deusmaximus

Kraken
Tomorrow i have important interview for sales job in finance.
What should i prepare for?

• +1
Reactions: Corleone

Guaranteed to work, trust me bro

Tomorrow i have important interview for sales job in finance.
What should i prepare for?
do you know what kind of products you'd sell if you got the job? If so, read a quick article about them on investopedia and search for the type of product in the Financial Times to be caught up with new developments in the sector.

I'd look into the main investors of the financial products you're going to sell and get a grasp of how you'd go about acquiring them.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 22354
Any recommendations for drugs for low anxiety and low inhibition?

What do you mean exactly by finance sales?

Is it an entry level role at a big firm?

If so it's more of seeing if you are a good fit for their culture than anything else and will be less technical.

Research the company and try not to seem like a weirdo, and highlight that you are excited to work and are motivated, and that you are adaptable to any situation.

Have a "tell us about yourself" answer ready as that is the question usually asked in 99% of interviews.

Have examples of previous situations where you needed to work in a group or report to a manager/senior where you may have encountered difficulties in that situation and highlight how you went about fixing it (i.e a difficult team member to work with).

• +1
Reactions: Corleone and Deleted member 22354
Have a "tell us about yourself" answer ready as that is the question usually asked in 99% of interviews.
I still struggle with this question. such a stupid thing to ask.

• +1
Reactions: WhiteBlackpiller and Alexanderr
I still struggle with this question. such a stupid thing to ask.
I'll give an example, this is moreso applicable to finance/accounting roles, but can be easily transformed into something for compsci roles.

If you are in a 4 year college/uni, you could start by saying :

"I am a student at X University studying X, I have interests in data analytics, finance, and a little bit of programming

At X university, I have partook in numerous clubs that have allowed me to showcase these interests, such as the X marketing club and the X finance and investments club.

At the marketing club, I was tasked with leading a team of 10 individuals to consult with a client on their marketing and branding strategies, and due to my leadership and our efforts as a team we were able to help the client achieve an increase in sales by x% while increasing their brand reach by x% on multiple platforms such as Instagram and Facebook.

Furthermore, at the finance and investments club, I was tasked with leading research for a mock portfolio which was designed to beat average market returns, as well as developing a curriculum focused on financial modelling tools that could be used in the careers of many of our club members.

I also have taken the time to create projects on my own time outside of school in order to develop my skills which will provide value to my employers in the future, such as evaluating a firm (i.e Nvidia) through the use of financial models such as DCFs, DDM model, and utilizing the 5 model CAPM to reach a cost of equity which was inputted into these models built in Excel.

Finally, I believe I fit this role perfectly because I am highly motivated and have an interest in this field (this last part is a bit more specific to the job description, so I am being pretty vague) as highlighted by my interests, projects and club memberships."

This is oversimplified, but you wanna practice something like this enough such that it does not sound like you are reading it off a script.

If your "tell us about yourself" answer is strong enough, you will basically ensure that they will have basically no questions to ask after, you answer everything they might want (assuming its an entry level role) to ask with this answer alone.

Your answer to this question should be no more than 5 minutes.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: lasthope, Bakin donuts 🍩, Deleted member 22354 and 2 others
I'll give an example, this is moreso applicable to finance/accounting roles, but can be easily transformed into something for compsci roles.

If you are in a 4 year college/uni, you could start by saying :

"I am a student at X University studying X, I have interests in data analytics, finance, and a little bit of programming

At X university, I have partook in numerous clubs that have allowed me to showcase these interests, such as the X marketing club and the X finance and investments club.

At the marketing club, I was tasked with leading a team of 10 individuals to consult with a client on their marketing and branding strategies, and due to my leadership and our efforts as a team we were able to help the client achieve an increase in sales by x% while increasing their brand reach by x% on multiple platforms such as Instagram and Facebook.

Furthermore, at the finance and investments club, I was tasked with leading research for a mock portfolio which was designed to beat average market returns, as well as developing a curriculum focused on financial modelling tools that could be used in the careers of many of our club members.

I also have taken the time to create projects on my own time outside of school in order to develop my skills which will provide value to my employers in the future, such as evaluating a firm (i.e Nvidia) through the use of financial models such as DCFs, DDM model, and utilizing the 5 model CAPM to reach a cost of equity which was inputted into these models built in Excel.

Finally, I believe I fit this role perfectly because I am highly motivated and have an interest in this field (this last part is a bit more specific to the job description, so I am being pretty vague) as highlighted by my interests, projects and club memberships."

This is oversimplified, but you wanna practice something like this enough such that it does not sound like you are reading it off a script.

If your "tell us about yourself" answer is strong enough, you will basically ensure that they will have basically no questions to ask after, you answer everything they might want (assuming its an entry level role) to ask with this answer alone.

Your answer to this question should be no more than 5 minutes.
Shark Tank Writing GIF

• JFL
Reactions: forevergymcelling and bara
I still struggle with this question.
Whatever you do, don't mention anything that could be regarded as a negative to the job you're applying for. Seems very obvious but sometimes things aren't as obvious in the heat of the moment.
Also, if you mention any (positive) change you've instilled in a company you previously worked in or in an organization you were in, etc. always make sure to quantify the results. Mention concisely that you brought x% revenue to the company during your time.

• +1
Reactions: forevergymcelling, Deleted member 22354 and Corleone
What do you mean exactly by finance sales?

Is it an entry level role at a big firm?

If so it's more of seeing if you are a good fit for their culture than anything else and will be less technical.

Research the company and try not to seem like a weirdo, and highlight that you are excited to work and are motivated, and that you are adaptable to any situation.

Have examples of previous situations where you needed to work in a group or report to a manager/senior where you may have encountered difficulties in that situation and highlight how you went about fixing it (i.e a difficult team member to work with).
No matter how much i prepare for basic job interviews, I always come across as nervous. When I speak to a potential hiring manager at a bar or someone referring me I sell myself well.

• +1
Reactions: lasthope
No matter how much i prepare for basic job interviews, I always come across as nervous. When I speak to a potential hiring manager at a bar or someone referring me I sell myself well.
Same I feel somehow mogged and can’t speak

Maybe I will try Xanax or some shit