[ARCHIVED} Facial exercises

Andromeda88

Andromeda88

Banned
I thought I'd post two studies (reviews) on facial exercises to improve aesthetics, to bring some science to the forum.

The first study is named "Enhancing Facial Aesthetics with Muscle Retraining Exercises-A Review". It basically gives you four techniques that targets different parts of the face. The first exercise is for the smile and described like this:

Quote:"The first basic exercise consists of producing a voluntary smile that will bring into action the muscles involved in the movements of retraction and elevation of the oral structure".
They give pictures step for step on how to do it, it's basically just different levels of smiling.
The other exercise is described as a face lift exercise.

Quote:"The sagging of the face, the effacement of lip contour, and the deepening of the naso-labial fold is a result of the loss of muscle tonicity [8]. The conditioning of the muscles will be achieved by means of two different exercises".

The third exercise is a lip exercise, described as this.

Quote:"This exercise, increases the blood flow, and contributes to give a more natural and live colour to the fleshy portion of the lip."

The last exercise they talked about was one for the mandible.

Quote:"To maintain facial harmony it is advisable not only to focus attention on the muscles exerting a lifting motion but, also to strengthen and condition the muscles and the skin of the mandibular area.This movement, which involves temporalis, external pterygoid, digastric, mentalis, platysma and the lower part of the orbicularis oris, will fight a double chin and prevent aging grooves in the lower part of the face."
This is most likely the one people want to focus on, this and the second one.

Doing these daily for three months should yield some good results. Multiple times a day might be good, morning/evening.

The second review is named "The Effectiveness of Facial Exercises for Facial Rejuvenation: A Systematic Review". The conclusion is basically
"We don't know, but studies seem to report that they work, but they're not the best studies".
One study only used isometrics, which are the easiest to implement. They made the patients perform these exercises.

Quote:"(1) lifting the eyebrows and frowning the forehead, (2) approximating the eyebrows, (3) closing the eyes with strength, (4) protruding the lips, (5) spreading the lips, and (6) contracting the right and left cheek against resistance. Each exercise was done once a day, and each position was held for 7 seconds."
All the studies are in Portugese though, so any Brazilians or Portugese people can read them in detail.

I would also highly recommend to try the exercise described in this thread "Theoretical exercise for cheek hollows"

I also believe Mewing and belt face pulling might be worth doing, at least Mewing.

• +1
Reactions: Kaires and IWantToMax
I thought I'd post two studies (reviews) on facial exercises to improve aesthetics, to bring some science to the forum.

The first study is named "Enhancing Facial Aesthetics with Muscle Retraining Exercises-A Review". It basically gives you four techniques that targets different parts of the face. The first exercise is for the smile and described like this:

They give pictures step for step on how to do it, it's basically just different levels of smiling.
The other exercise is described as a face lift exercise.

The third exercise is a lip exercise, described as this.

The last exercise they talked about was one for the mandible.

This is most likely the one people want to focus on, this and the second one.

Doing these daily for three months should yield some good results. Multiple times a day might be good, morning/evening.

The second review is named "The Effectiveness of Facial Exercises for Facial Rejuvenation: A Systematic Review". The conclusion is basically
"We don't know, but studies seem to report that they work, but they're not the best studies".
One study only used isometrics, which are the easiest to implement. They made the patients perform these exercises.

All the studies are in Portugese though, so any Brazilians or Portugese people can read them in detail.

I would also highly recommend to try the exercise described in this thread "Theoretical exercise for cheek hollows"

I also believe Mewing and belt face pulling might be worth doing, at least Mewing.
is this a lookism thread?