Are Koreans taller than Chinese?

G

Goebread

Bronze
Both online and offline, there is this stereotype that Koreans are taller than Chinese people, who are regarded as short. But is this even true?

I go to university in Australia and recently decided to socialize more. I went to a few Chinese society events and also a few Korean society events. Chinese society events seemed to be mostly Australian born Chinese with some internationals/1.5gens mixed in, which is similar to Korean society; mostly local raised Koreans with some internationals.

I have come to the conclusion that ABCs/Chinese international are rather tall, and appear taller than local raised Koreans/KR intls. There were many Chinese people around 6'0, and 6'1-6'2 were also seen at times, which seemed considerably less common on Koreans. If you isolate northern Chinese ABCs with local raised Koreans, the height difference is quite evident (northern ABCs seem at least 3cm taller on average).

Not trying to bash Koreans; many are GL and they workout/style better than Chinese, and Korean media has greatly improved the perception of East Asians. I just don't get why is there a height stereotype of Chinese being short and Koreans being tall, because if anything, it seems reversed? So my question is; how did this stereotype come about? Is it just a matter of soft power or some other perception factor?

• Woah
Reactions: Beetlejuice
Check statistics.

Check statistics.
Kind of hard to compare since half of China is still in poverty. I'm talking about height potential. The only certain way to compare is with people in a controlled environment; e.g western born Chinese and Koreans.

Based on my observations, Chinese with northern chinese or central ancestry (born in the west) tend to be taller than local raised Koreans, but southern ones are shorter.

Chinese undergrad international students are also oftentimes tall.

Kind of hard to compare since half of China is still in poverty. I'm talking about height potential. The only certain way to compare is with people in a controlled environment; e.g western born Chinese and Koreans.

Based on my observations, Chinese with northern chinese or central ancestry (born in the west) tend to be taller than local raised Koreans, but southern ones are shorter.
You were asking why people think Chinese are shorter than Koreans. That is completely different than height potential.

many early overseas Chinese were from Guangdong, who are shorter

now you get some mainlanders from the north. Fujian, another coastal province, tends to have some northern like populations as well

Koreans have some gigantic northeasterner genes that also show up in China

• +1
Reactions: Cheesyrumble and Wallenberg
You were asking why people think Chinese are shorter than Koreans. That is completely different than height potential.
Even comparing bulk China to Korea, is there actually a big height difference?

Granted it's probably difficult to estimate a "true" average height for all of China since it's so big with a large socio-economic range.

I think Chinese = shorter than Koreans thing is largely also soft power based.

Even comparing bulk China to Korea, is there actually a big height difference?

Granted it's probably difficult to estimate a "true" average height for all of China since it's so big with a large socio-economic range.

I think Chinese = shorter than Koreans thing is largely also soft power based.
Doesn't seem to be a big difference according to this, but I believe young Korean males, on average, are taller than young Chinese males if we compare whole populations simply because Koreans are richer.

Doesn't seem to be a big difference according to this, but I believe young Korean males, on average, are taller than young Chinese males if we compare whole populations simply because Koreans are richer.

A lot of those stats are just estimates rather than medical studies tbh, and China probably has way too much regional and rural differences. Like rural north China for example is gigapoor.

Overall it's probably true that currently speaking, China as a whole is shorter, though I'm not convinced that Chinese zoomers are metrically short by worldwide standards. Chinese international students for instance, are relatively tall, along with western born Chinese of northern or central ancestry (southern ones still short tbh).

I'd be interested in seeing how tall different groups grow under a controlled, nutritionmax environment.

A lot of those stats are just estimates rather than medical studies tbh, and China probably has way too much regional and rural differences. Like rural north China for example is gigapoor.
They are still Chinese, regardless of being poor.

In Australia this is my estimate of heights of different groups:

1. White Australian; probably 5'10 but university white zoomers probably average 5'11. Can oftentimes find very tall people, like 6'4. But bulk young white probably average 5'10 and small towns oftentimes have manlets somehow. The university ones seem more robust and higher facial harmony than e.g Townsville types.
2. Indian Australians: probably 5'9 or something on average. Northern ones probs slightly taller than that, southern ones slightly shorter. They seem to range in height more than say East Asians, with some that are very tall.
3. Lebanese/meds: imo slightly taller than Indians but as a whole probably average somewhere inbetween 5'9 and 5'10. Can sometimes see really tall people but at the same type produce turbomanlets (like 5'2), which aren't really seen among white Australians.
4. Koreans; probably average 5'9? Also their height lacks range, they are rarely over 6'1.
5. Chinese; as a whole, Aus born Chinese probably average within 5'9 range but the southern ones are shorter than the northern ones. I'd say northern abcs average like 5'10 while southern ones average 5'8. Shanghai/central types average maybe 5'9-5'10. Young Chinese internationals are distributed similarly though international north Chinese might be shorter than western born north Chinese, who probs have better nutrition than those born in north China.
6. Viets; for some reason they are oftentimes kpopmaxxed moggers here but not very tall, like maybe 5'7-5'8 on average.

many early overseas Chinese were from Guangdong, who are shorter

now you get some mainlanders from the north. Fujian, another coastal province, tends to have some northern like populations as well

Koreans have some gigantic northeasterner genes that also show up in China
Hmm fair enough

Koreans are subhumans af, Chinese are like 10 times better looking no cap.

Asians are not that short on average, even majority nowadays. I’m just cursed. My dad 5’11, mom 5’4 me 5’7 chinese