Beta carotene and carotenoids' effect on skin?

J

JustOneQuestion

Iron
So I have been searching for a while, and came across that carotenoids make skin look more lively and such and was wondering since beta carotene is found in carrots and sweet potatoes, If i can just consume it from these food sources rather than supplement it since I don't have a good history with supplements. They say beta carotene is fat soluble but how should I consume it, like can I boil the carrots or something and what fats should i eat with it to make it effective. Also I have come across astaxanthin which gives a reddish glow but it seems expensive, more ineffective and dangerous if supplemented so I was wondering about lycopene which is in like tomatoes and stuff. I just want to make my skin look better that's all and hope the same for everyone reading this as well. Thank you :)

TLDR: how should would consume beta carotene and lycopene for effective results. And what is recommended IU.:)

• +1
Reactions: ellisadrian and nonserviam
bump plz

It works. A lot of people do it. For tomatoes people do a sort of paste/puree.
Supplements is the better/easier option. Also should be more effective.
Combining everything has more pronounced, and some say, more appealing results.
Seems like you've got everything to begin with tbh, besides the hate on supplements. You need to focus on this shit daily and consistently, if you want to achieve it through diet. A bit annoying imo, if diet option only.
I use beta carotene 2x25k daily.
Used to chew on carrots like crazy, been told I looked orange. But I don't tolerate carrots(heart problems)

• +1
Reactions: Good_Little_Goy
Carotene ascended me

It works. A lot of people do it. For tomatoes people do a sort of paste/puree.
Supplements is the better/easier option. Also should be more effective.
Combining everything has more pronounced, and some say, more appealing results.
Seems like you've got everything to begin with tbh, besides the hate on supplements. You need to focus on this shit daily and consistently, if you want to achieve it through diet. A bit annoying imo, if diet option only.
I use beta carotene 2x25k daily.
Used to chew on carrots like crazy, been told I looked orange. But I don't tolerate carrots(heart problems)
Yeah this is all correct
also take 25k IU beta carotene twice a day

supplementing beta carotene gives much higher plasma concentration than eating the same amount contained in carrots so I prefer to stick with soft gels.

Lycopene is very poorly absorbed when consumed in raw foods like tomatoes so you need to get it through processed foods like tomato juice/puree or take supplements, you can only absorb 10mg lycopene at a time btw so I take 10mg twice per day

astaxanthin seems to be cope for most people including myself

• +1
Reactions: wasted, JustOneQuestion, Iplaysoccer and 1 other person
Yeah this is all correct

supplementing beta carotene gives much higher plasma concentration than eating the same amount contained in carrots so I prefer to stick with soft gels.

Lycopene is very poorly absorbed when consumed in raw foods like tomatoes so you need to get it through processed foods like tomato juice/puree or take supplements, you can only absorb 10mg lycopene at a time btw so I take 10mg twice per day

Also does lycopene give a reddish color, like if i take this will my skin tone improve i am already tanned. I am just scared that it might cause problems because i was also supplementing vitamin c, glutathione and MSM but overdosed on the MSM and i got tachycardia and my heart was beating so dam hard i felt like was gonna die, so I was just wondering if there were any terrible side effects?

• +1
Also does lycopene give a reddish color, like if i take this will my skin tone improve i am already tanned. I am just scared that it might cause problems because i was also supplementing vitamin c, glutathione and MSM but overdosed on the MSM and i got tachycardia and my heart was beating so dam hard i felt like was gonna die, so I was just wondering if there were any terrible side effects?
Yeah, both lycopene and beta carotene increase redness in skin (although beta carotene mostly increases yellowness) and should improve tanned skin, lycopene in particular for this.
I’m not sure about the tachycardia thing but take sensible doses and there are no side effects of either to be concerned about (unless you are a smoker, in which case don’t take beta carotene)

Yeah, both lycopene and beta carotene increase redness in skin (although beta carotene mostly increases yellowness) and should improve tanned skin, lycopene in particular for this.
I’m not sure about the tachycardia thing but take sensible doses and there are no side effects of either to be concerned about (unless you are a smoker, in which case don’t take beta carotene)
im only 14 and got in big trouble with my parents for the vitamin c and msm and stuff so thats why i was seeking an alternative to pills, also can you get them at walmart or something and what brands do you recommend

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 10536 and Good_Little_Goy
Gives u cancer ded srs
ngl I smoke and take it anyways

im only 14 and got in big trouble with my parents for the vitamin c and msm and stuff so thats why i was seeking an alternative to pills, also can you get them at walmart or something and what brands do you recommend
You can get it from carrot and tomato juice if that’s easier, just make sure to consume with a fatty meal for absorption

yeah you should be able to find both at walmart, personally I bought my beta carotene at bronson vitamins and lycopene at piping rock and they have worked well

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: JustOneQuestion and wasted
Gives u cancer ded srs
ngl I smoke and take it anyways

You can get it from carrot and tomato juice if that’s easier, just make sure to consume with a fatty meal for absorption

yeah you should be able to find both at walmart, personally I bought my beta carotene at bronson vitamins and lycopene at piping rock and they have worked well
thx man u actually gave useful advice and stuff appreciate it, hope u have a happy life :)

• Love it
@Good_Little_Goy can beta carotene fuck up frame growth?

@hairyballscel

• +1
Reactions: hairyballscel and Good_Little_Goy
@Good_Little_Goy can beta carotene fuck up frame growth?

@hairyballscel
You mean bcs of the vitamin a thing?
you can’t get vitamin a toxicity from beta carotene so it’s not an issue
gn tho
pm tmmrw if u need more info

• Love it
Reactions: wasted
Yeah this is all correct

wait also another question how many carrots do i have to eat to get the daily dosage found in the supplements, and how many liters or mg of the tomato juice should i drink for it to equate to the reccomended dosage of lycopene daily? What are examples of fatty foods that I can eat with it? thank you

• +1
I tried 30 mg (50k IU) beta carotene and I didn't see any difference.

wait also another question how many carrots do i have to eat to get the daily dosage found in the supplements, and how many liters or mg of the tomato juice should i drink for it to equate to the reccomended dosage of lycopene daily? What are examples of fatty foods that I can eat with it? thank you
For foods your best off having 1 cup of carrot and tomato juice each, two times a day. For fatty foods I usually have some meat or fish or plant oils like avocado work too

in one of the studies on lycopene they use salad with reduced fat dressing vs salad with full fat dressing and find that absorption is much better in the full fat group so maybe you could use that.

Yeah this is all correct

Or if u eat tomatoes, cooking them can increase their lycopene amount tremendously
the research revealed that the beneficial trans-lycopene content of the cooked tomatoes increased by 54, 171 and 164 percent, respectively. Levels of cis -lycopene (which the body easily absorbs) rose by 6, 17 and 35 percent, respectively; and antioxidant levels in the heated tomatoes increased by 28, 34 and 62 percent, respectively.
(source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/04/020422073341.htm )

According to another source (https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/tomatoes#plant-compounds), ketchup boasts 10–14 mg of lycopene per 3.5 ounces (100 grams), while one small, fresh tomato (100 grams) holds only 1–8 mg, consuming this plant compound with a source of fat can increase absorption by up to four times.
Also generally, the redder the tomato, the more lycopene it has.

so tl;dr choose redder tomatoes, cook them and eat them together with a source of fat, that way a single tomato will increase it's amount of lycopene to way more than 10 mg.

• +1
Reactions: distance decay and beingmoreattractive