[BIG BRAINS GTFIH] Should the depth of Canine Fossa determine cheekbone implant design?

HandsomeTwink420

HandsomeTwink420

Logging my bimax experience
I'm on track to get bimax.

I have deep Canine Fossa.

I'm doing research to figure out what the best cheekbone implant would be to get after bimax.

Since I have deep Canine Fossa to begin with, should I try get implants that maintain the shape? Would it look uncanny otherwise?

sauce:

Attachments

• canine fossa explanation.png
    canine fossa explanation.png
    945.9 KB · Views: 0
For lateral protrusion I doubt any implant would have enough forward projection to significantly impact how your canine fossa looks.

• +1
Reactions: RAMU KAKA and HandsomeTwink420
For lateral protrusion I doubt any implant would have enough forward projection to significantly impact how your canine fossa looks.
I'm thinking more about forward growth and the subtlety of the inner cheekbone area than just lateral protrusion.

After bimax, when upper and low jaws are forward, how should cheekbone / orbital rim / etc... implant design account for canine fossa

The standard thing my surgeon (Coceancig) offers is the bone graft stuff, but, I'm skeptical of whether the contouring of that can account for the canine fossa

I'm sure the bone mineral is perfectly fine for lateral protrusion, but, the under-eye / inner cheekbone area is so much more subtle

Last edited:
I'm thinking more about forward growth than later protrusion.

After bimax, when upper and low jaws are forward, how should cheekbone / orbital rim / etc... implant design account for canine fossa

The standard thing my surgeon (Coceancig) offers is the bone graft stuff, but, I'm skeptical of whether the contouring of that can account for the canine fossa
Honestly I would be careful with forward cheekbone projection in general. It's a massively feminine trait so it needs to fit the rest of your face. Just be aware.

You mentioned a bone graft? Sounds like your surgeon knows what he's doing and it'll be enough. Is the graft over the canine fossa? It's not a very complex shape compared to the cheekbone.

• +1
Reactions: HandsomeTwink420
Honestly I would be careful with forward cheekbone projection in general. It's a massively feminine trait so it needs to fit the rest of your face. Just be aware.

You mentioned a bone graft? Sounds like your surgeon knows what he's doing and it'll be enough. Is the graft over the canine fossa? It's not a very complex shape compared to the cheekbone.
Also the size of the cavity created by the canine fossa is much more significant than the increase in cheekbone projection from most implants (little overall relative change). If your surgeon is doing a graft then it must be a pretty big implant?

• +1

Fair point with the feminine trait part, but, the thing is, my under-eye / inner cheekbone area is already noticeable sunken even without the forward movement of the maxilla

Here's an example of him injecting the "bone graft" stuff:

It's derived from a mixture of cow bone and the patients own blood. So, the "bone graft" is not a solid piece, but rather, a kind of play-doh like substance that hardens later.

He sculpts it with his fingers during the surgery.

The alternative is a custom 3d designed cheekbone PEEK implant which is sculpted in advance

Attachments

• PEEK.png
    PEEK.png
    820.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Woah
Reactions: Allornothing
Fair point with the feminine trait part, but, the thing is, my under-eye / inner cheekbone area is already noticeable sunken even without the forward movement of the maxilla

Here's an example of him injecting the "bone graft" stuff:

It's derived from a mixture of cow bone and the patients own blood. So, the "bone graft" is not a solid piece, but rather, a kind of play-doh like substance that hardens later.

He sculpts it with his fingers during the surgery.

The alternative is a custom 3d designed cheekbone PEEK implant which is sculpted in advance

Yeah no sorry I get the point of the bone grafts. Your canine fossa should be fine.

• +1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back