Bimax/LeForts vs Implants

JohnRea

JohnRea

Iron
If Implants can give similar effects with additional attention to details, then maybe it is a better option. No?

It all depends on your maxilla. If your maxilla is fine, then you should start with implants, if not, get a lefort and then see if you still need implants.

If Implants can give similar effects with additional attention to details, then maybe it is a better option. No?
But implants don’t increase the airway... and many other things....

but yes, there are many things to discuss when choosing one way or another

• +1
Reactions: Gaia262 and draco
But implants don’t increase the airway...
That's very true. It seems that both have their own advantages and disadvantages and it is not black and white. Like most things in life.

• +1
Reactions: Sergio-OMS
Le Fort > All

• +1
Reactions: anti caking agents
It all depends on your maxilla. If your maxilla is fine, then you should start with implants, if not, get a lefort and then see if you still need implants.

Basically don't give up until you have got what you wanted. Tbqh.

Thankfully most here have a good base for looks maxing unlike me

I'm currently deciding between genio + implants or double jaw + genio for my lower third. Different surgeons tend to give different advice, which further confuses things. I've seen good results with both, and meh results with both.

However, if you're more interested in the empirical evidence than the theory, then the common view is that bone movements tend to produce better results, i.e. genio results are usually better than chin implant results.

no way implants can emulate the effect of Bimax surgery.
with a chin implants you can only advance the tip of your mandible, while with Bimax you can advance the whole mandible and the lower part of your maxilla

• +1
Reactions: DianabolDownie
Jaw surgery is really only necessary if you have functional issues i.e. misaligned bite (underbite, overbite, crossbite, open bite) TMJ pain, sleep apnea, restricted airways.

If you don’t have any functional issues, not only is jaw surgery probably unnecessary for you, insurance companies will not cover ANY of the cost.

Without functional issues, you are much better suited to having implants instead. The one exception to this, is that in the situation you have no functional issues but still have a weak chin, I would suggest a sliding genio instead of a chin implant.

Jaw surgery is really only necessary if you have functional issues i.e. misaligned bite (underbite, overbite, crossbite, open bite) TMJ pain, sleep apnea, restricted airways.

If you don’t have any functional issues, not only is jaw surgery probably unnecessary for you, insurance companies will not cover ANY of the cost.

Without functional issues, you are much better suited to having implants instead. The one exception to this, is that in the situation you have no functional issues but still have a weak chin, I would suggest a sliding genio instead of a chin implant.

No one can predict the future but not having functional issues now doesn’t mean that that situation will stay that way. So, in my opinion, it is better to apply the least camouflaging treatment, if possible, always.

• +1
Reactions: Gaia262 and RAITEIII