Bone erosion/resorption is a HUGE problem with facial implants. How can we prevent this?

Deleted member 399

Deleted member 399

White Worshiping Eugenicist Curry Scum

This pic is from Eppley's latest blog post on bone resorption from implants.

Link: https://exploreplasticsurgery.com/long-term-radiographic-assessment-of-silicone-chin-implants/

As you can see, its possibel to easily lose 2 mm off your underlying from 5 mm of implant projection, thereby leaving a net forward projection of only 3 mm. :rage::rage:

So what can we do about this? I think that, since the bone erosion is due to pressure from surrounding tissues, we could try a soft tissue graft so that the increase in tissue surface area can reduce the reduce the pressure that's exerted by the tissues on the implant and underlying bone. Is such a tissue graft possible? What do you guys think?

• +1
Reactions: Framletgod
It's really not

It's really not
You are guaranteed to get a 1 mm bone loss from resorption if you place an implant on your face.

"Most of the patients had less than 1.5mm loss of bone under the implant (11/14, 93%))" it's not like 1mm of projection is going to be a deal-breaker.

• +1
Reactions: subhuman incel
"Most of the patients had less than 1.5mm loss of bone under the implant (11/14, 93%))" it's not like 1mm of projection is going to be a deal-breaker.
a few millimetres of bone

• +1
Reactions: subhuman incel, Chadelite, IWantToMax and 1 other person
Does the xray in OP look like something you can accept? Because I can't. The erosion seems comparable to the size of the implant. Its not minor.

• +1
Reactions: subhuman incel
put more implants

Does the xray in OP look like something you can accept? Because I can't. The erosion seems comparable to the size of the implant. Its not minor.

The 2.0mm happened in 3 out of 14 patients, it's a low chance. The longest follow-up was 17 years and the patient had just 0.8mm of erosion, which I bet is 100% unnoticeable.

Also, I don't find it clear whether those people experienced any actual facial changes - "No patient had any symptoms of these bony changes." It could be that erosion happens under the implant but since it is fixed at other points, it stays in the same place so at the end you've lost some bone but the implant still looks exactly the same from outside.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 399
The 2.0mm happened in 3 out of 14 patients, it's a low chance. The longest follow-up was 17 years and the patient had just 0.8mm of erosion, which I bet is 100% unnoticeable.

Also, I don't find it clear whether those people experienced any actual facial changes - "No patient had any symptoms of these bony changes." It could be that erosion happens under the implant but since it is fixed at other points, it stays in the same place so at the end you've lost some bone but the implant still looks exactly the same from outside.
Ah thanks. Hope I can lay my fears to rest. :)

Oh, and the implant was 48 × 17 × 8 mm so still 6mm of projection even in the worst case scenario.

So does bone erosion only happen with chin implants or does this apply to midface or brow implants as well? Eppley seems to say that the reason only chin implants have been cited to come with this problem is because not enough research has been done to other implants.

Imagine getting implants in and you get in a fight and they just fall outta place LMFAO

say goodbye to your paranasal implants

Imagine getting implants in and you get in a fight and they just fall outta place LMFAO

say goodbye to your paranasal implants
what happens when @facemaxxed gets punched?

Move the bones instead of placing a foreign objects in your face

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite, IWantToMax and Deleted member 2486
implants are cope, get your big boy osteotomies instead

implants are cope, get your big boy osteotomies instead
not comfortable with breaking my face into pieces and then having it hold together with some weak ass screws.

Just get a bigger implant brah, or size up slightly so that even with a couple of mm erosion over the years it's aesthetically insignificant

Also fixation with titanium screws is essential to avoid / minimize erosion, says most redpilled famous surgeons

View attachment 129452

This pic is from Eppley's latest blog post on bone resorption from implants.

Link: https://exploreplasticsurgery.com/long-term-radiographic-assessment-of-silicone-chin-implants/

As you can see, its possibel to easily lose 2 mm off your underlying from 5 mm of implant projection, thereby leaving a net forward projection of only 3 mm. :rage::rage:

So what can we do about this? I think that, since the bone erosion is due to pressure from surrounding tissues, we could try a soft tissue graft so that the increase in tissue surface area can reduce the reduce the pressure that's exerted by the tissues on the implant and underlying bone. Is such a tissue graft possible? What do you guys think?
Get medpor

medpor. Bone grows into the porous implant.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Stingray