Braces with rubber bands gave me TMJ dysfunction

Bewusst

Bewusst

dead inside
Screw conventional orthodontics and mainstream medicine in general. I had braces as a teeenager to fix an overbite and crooked teeth. Elastics to bring the lower dental arch forward and pull the top row of teeth back to align my bite. After removing the braces, they cursed me with fixed (permanent) retainers to prevent a relapse. The wire snapped many years ago but the right half is still glued to the back of my teeth. I've been dealing with TMJ problems, jaw clicking, constant tension, tight muscles, headaches, dizziness, misalignment, problems with articulation and even breathing, poor posture, neck, head and ear pain and a host of other issues for two years, thanks to orthodontics. It's started to affect my whole body.

I've been able to find my natural resting jaw position recently, where I have no pain, clicking, tightness etc. and can talk and breathe normally with proper head and body posture. Unfortunately, I need to make an edge to edge bite/slight underbite to bring my mandible forward enough to decompress the TMJ. In this position, my molars don't touch but my incisors, canines and (partly) premolars do.

Conclusion? Orthodontic camouflage treatment with braces and rubber bands aligned my teeth/bite in a way that forces my mandible to retract excessively, consequently compressing the jaw joint. My mandible wants to jut out into its natural position but it can't because my teeth have been displaced when I barely entered puberty and was still developing. Orthodontics compromised my health and looks and they won't even remove the retainer, unless I pay around 400 bucks. Never put your trust in doctors who only treat symptoms. Only bad experiences, except for emergency care.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 32196, Magnum Opus, Deleted member 8988 and 11 others
Did u have extractioons aswell?

sometimes it amazes me how primitive humans are when it comes to medicine. i would have expected much more from a civillization that sends people to space

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Magnum Opus, A23ghskung, wateriswet and 5 others
sometimes it amazes me how primitive humans are when it comes to medicine. i would have expected much more from a civillization that sends people to space
Orthos fully know they're fucking up your face, they studied for years learning about how teeth and jaws develop. Why would they put in extra effort and charge extra money when all parents care about is their child's teeth being straight? Until the general public knows what extractions and bands do then orthos won't change.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 32196, Magnum Opus, Acromegaly_Chad and 7 others
Orthos fully know they're fucking up your face, they studied for years learning about how teeth and jaws develop. Why would they put in extra effort and charge extra money when all parents care about is their child's teeth being straight? Until the general public knows what extractions and bands do then orthos won't change.
sad that nobody gives a shit about that, except for a small group of young men on an obscure online forum

• +1
  • So Sad
  • WTF
Reactions: Deleted member 8904, thereallegend, Danish_Retard and 2 others
Orthodontists are paid to install braces and MSEs. If they're doing more than that, it's probably bad. Even online clear aligner distributers seem more effective than orthodontists.

I'm so glad that I grew up with an ortho who my mum knew since she was a child. Always gave discounts to us and gave actual treatment instead of the shit public orthos wanted to do to me.

Too bad he went on pension. Gonna have to go with public orthos from now on since I can't afford anything else. At least I'm not developing anymore...

Oh it’s there. Look at America. Most kids grow up with chad skulls and beatiful smiles cuz they treat them proper. Just here in Germany where you have „free“ health care it’s a rule for the doc to give you the cheapest option which leads to acceptable results.aka slap braces which limit your jaws on everyone instead of proper treatment

• +1
Reactions: Acromegaly_Chad and Deleted member 7725
they won't even remove the retainer, unless I pay around 400 bucks
Remove the retainer and start mewing. Braces fucked my midface and they wanted me to wear a retainer permanently. Been mewing for 3 years and my pallet has expanded and my maxilla is way broader. My teeth aligned naturally, no problems whatsoever.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16129
Remove the retainer and start mewing. Braces fucked my midface and they wanted me to wear a retainer permanently. Been mewing for 3 years and my pallet has expanded and my maxilla is way broader. My teeth aligned naturally, no problems whatsoever.
Easier said than done, how can I remove it? It's glued tightly to the back of my teeth and I can't reach it properly

• JFL
Reactions: ifyouwannabemylover
You should look into ALF treatment. It looks promising as an alternative to orthodontics

Easier said than done, how can I remove it? It's glued tightly to the back of my teeth and I can't reach it properly
Are you willing to pay to remove it?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8904
How do I fix a slight over bite?

sad that nobody gives a shit about that, except for a small group of young men on an obscure online forum
brootal

I stopped wearing my retainer and my teeth are still straight and I now I have a 1 mm diastema but besides that it was definitely worth it to stop wearing that shit

How old are you? Are your teeth crooked or crowded as well?
I don’t have crooked or crowded teeth ,I’m 17
CEBE23FE F5B5 4A51 9D72 A0ADD41FF947

• +1
Reactions: Laikyn
Ray Peat

Unironically start chewing more. Increasing masseter/pterygoid resting tone may pull your lower jaw forward enough to get rid of that overbite
Should I only use molars to chew or…
And how many minutes a day and days a week

Should I only use molars to chew or…
And how many minutes a day and days a week
Chew normally with your molars and alternate between left and right side to avoid creating a muscular imbalance. Also, by "chewing" I wasn't referring only to gum but to tough, chewy food as well. Raw carrots, steak, hard bread crust, almonds etc.

• +1
Reactions: Laikyn
Screw conventional orthodontics and mainstream medicine in general. I had braces as a teeenager to fix an overbite and crooked teeth. Elastics to bring the lower dental arch forward and pull the top row of teeth back to align my bite. After removing the braces, they cursed me with fixed (permanent) retainers to prevent a relapse. The wire snapped many years ago but the right half is still glued to the back of my teeth. I've been dealing with TMJ problems, jaw clicking, constant tension, tight muscles, headaches, dizziness, misalignment, problems with articulation and even breathing, poor posture, neck, head and ear pain and a host of other issues for two years, thanks to orthodontics. It's started to affect my whole body.

I've been able to find my natural resting jaw position recently, where I have no pain, clicking, tightness etc. and can talk and breathe normally with proper head and body posture. Unfortunately, I need to make an edge to edge bite/slight underbite to bring my mandible forward enough to decompress the TMJ. In this position, my molars don't touch but my incisors, canines and (partly) premolars do.

Conclusion? Orthodontic camouflage treatment with braces and rubber bands aligned my teeth/bite in a way that forces my mandible to retract excessively, consequently compressing the jaw joint. My mandible wants to jut out into its natural position but it can't because my teeth have been displaced when I barely entered puberty and was still developing. Orthodontics compromised my health and looks and they won't even remove the retainer, unless I pay around 400 bucks. Never put your trust in doctors who only treat symptoms. Only bad experiences, except for emergency care.
I had braces but didn’t wear the bands cause I couldn’t be asked to put them on everyday, thank god me being a useless lazy shit saved me from recessing my maxilia even more otherwise I’d need bimax. Dentists are little cunts, could’ve sent me to a jaw surgeon to correct my bite naturally but nope my mandible is trash because no one knew what they were doing

Chew normally with your molars and alternate between left and right side to avoid creating a muscular imbalance. Also, by "chewing" I wasn't referring only to gum but to tough, chewy food as well. Raw carrots, steak, hard bread crust, almonds etc.
How long will it take to correct it self

I had braces but didn’t wear the bands cause I couldn’t be asked to put them on everyday, thank god me being a useless lazy shit saved me from recessing my maxilia even more otherwise I’d need bimax. Dentists are little cunts, could’ve sent me to a jaw surgeon to correct my bite naturally but nope my mandible is trash because no one knew what they were doing
Braces with or w/o elastics don't make your maxilla recede, nor do they change the shape of your jaw. They only move teeth. Excessive use of rubber bands (to correct an overbite, for instance) is particularly problematic when your condyles are too far back to begin with, compressing the jaw joint, which may lead to excessive wear and TMJ dysfunction over time. As the upper dental arch is moved back and the lower one forward through alveolar bone remodeling, your mandible can no longer protract into the proper position and you're left with a permanently compressed jaw joint and recessed looking mandible

Especially children and teenagers, whose mandibles are still growing, are at risk for developing problems later on. I'm convinced I'd be fine today if I hadn't have elastics at 13 and that I would've eventually "grown out" of my overbite on my own, partly through jaw growth and partly via mandibular protraction and increased masticatory muscle tone

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12216, morellokelo and Deleted member 6423
Just get bimax bro

I got the same "treatment" at age 13. I didn't wear the elastics a lot though as they were uncomfortable. They wanted to fix my overjet. After treatment I was the ugliest I've ever been, around 15/16. I don't know if the braces and rubber bands caused that though as I had pretty unideal facial growth at a super young age already, which is nothing but genetics.

Realizing my ugliness at around 17 I tried everything in order to fix it- first step was to remove the retainers. Then I chewed and mewed like crazy for 3 years, also started eating super nutrient dense, just for higher testosterone and the nutrients obviously. My face looks better now, fuller and wider, however I still got some unideal growth which is driving me nuts.

I don't have any tmj problems though (jaw begins clicking when chewing a lot tho, which is normal I guess), also I think my mandible just rests in the ideal position as it is comfortable.

Just a theory: if you'd chew like a maniac everyday your teeth will eventually align in the optimal position, allowing optimal jaw position. I think teeth can always move.

I got the same "treatment" at age 13. I didn't wear the elastics a lot though as they were uncomfortable. They wanted to fix my overjet. After treatment I was the ugliest I've ever been, around 15/16. I don't know if the braces and rubber bands caused that though as I had pretty unideal facial growth at a super young age already, which is nothing but genetics.

Realizing my ugliness at around 17 I tried everything in order to fix it- first step was to remove the retainers. Then I chewed and mewed like crazy for 3 years, also started eating super nutrient dense, just for higher testosterone and the nutrients obviously. My face looks better now, fuller and wider, however I still got some unideal growth which is driving me nuts.

I don't have any tmj problems though (jaw begins clicking when chewing a lot tho, which is normal I guess), also I think my mandible just rests in the ideal position as it is comfortable.

Just a theory: if you'd chew like a maniac everyday your teeth will eventually align in the optimal position, allowing optimal jaw position. I think teeth can always move.
The main environmental reason for overbites, jaw hypoplasia and crooked teeth in general is a soft food diet and lack of tough chewing. If I would've grown up on a tougher diet and chewed more (I was also underfed and didn't get to eat enough), chances are I wouldn't have needed orthodontic treatment in the first place

When I was 19, I used anabolic steroids including testosterone and remember it was around that time when I first noticed my mandible shift forwards and my bite didn't fit anymore. Idk whether that was due to actual bone growth or just from increased masseter/pterygoid muscle tone or size but it stayed like that since. My TMJ problems only arised a couple of years later, when I started chewing gum a lot

Imagine permanently restricting tongue space and condylar range of motion in children and adolescents whose jaws are still growing. Orthodontists don't even take lifestyle and eating habits into account when altering your oral structure, based only on the current position of your teeth, which may very well improve or even fix itself naturally if you're young enough and adopt the right habits. It's irresponsible if you ask me

• +1
Reactions: Magnum Opus, wateriswet and Deleted member 12216
inb4 self performed retainer removal and your teeth end up whack

The main environmental reason for overbites, jaw hypoplasia and crooked teeth in general is a soft food diet and lack of tough chewing. If I would've grown up on a tougher diet and chewed more (I was also underfed and didn't get to eat enough), chances are I wouldn't have needed orthodontic treatment in the first place

When I was 19, I used anabolic steroids including testosterone and remember it was around that time when I first noticed my mandible shift forwards and my bite didn't fit anymore. Idk whether that was due to actual bone growth or just from increased masseter/pterygoid muscle tone or size but it stayed like that since. My TMJ problems only arised a couple of years later, when I started chewing gum a lot

Imagine permanently restricting tongue space and condylar range of motion in children and adolescents whose jaws are still growing. Orthodontists don't even take lifestyle and eating habits into account when altering your oral structure, based only on the current position of your teeth, which may very well improve or even fix itself naturally if you're young enough and adopt the right habits. It's irresponsible if you ask me
My mom was very aware of that and always spoke out against me getting braces. She also always said I should eat tough things and gave me carrots to kindergarten.

However the orthodontist and my dad both "convinced" me to get those braces because otherwise I am gonna look like a rat when I'm an adult.

My mom was very aware of that and always spoke out against me getting braces. She also always said I should eat tough things and gave me carrots to kindergarten.

However the orthodontist and my dad both "convinced" me to get those braces because otherwise I am gonna look like a rat when I'm an adult.
Same story here. My mother was against it too and suggested a (removable) functional appliance but my father and orthodontist kept pushing for braces

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12216
Same story here. My mother was against it too and suggested a (removable) functional appliance but my father and orthodontist kept pushing for braces
We got quite a few similarities, I think we are from the exact same location too (since you said you live near KW in another thread)

• +1
Reactions: Bewusst

I had this as well and even springs and I still look good and have good facial structure if u want u can dm me idc but I stopped using the retainer so it just went back to normal jfl honestly just throw ur retainer out and you dont gotta worry abt anything

the moon landing was fake

I had this as well and even springs and I still look good and have good facial structure if u want u can dm me idc but I stopped using the retainer so it just went back to normal jfl honestly just throw ur retainer out and you dont gotta worry abt anything
head hit GIF

Unironically start chewing more. Increasing masseter/pterygoid resting tone may pull your lower jaw forward enough to get rid of that overbite
wtf is pterygoid resting tone

You think i should remove my braces? Im 17 and had them for a year and a half. I still have shit growth and had to have an MSE. I had 5 extraction, one happened because i had a cavity in a big molar (yikes). My top teeth are aligned (the one missing a molar not pre) but my bottom teeth are still crooked and my bite is fucked. I can only bite down on my roght side
A6594C74 AF13 4F34 843E C87E203C2794

Bro that’s the move I’m definetely taking a gap year before college moving to Korea and getting surgeries fucking and getting yoked
I had a dentist in Seoul South Korea so maybe the way they practice is different than where you went

• +1
Reactions: AlexBrown84

Did you removed the retainer

Orthodontists are dangerous criminals