Buccal fat removal before bimax?

D

Deleted member 6764

Iron
Does anyone know whether it is okay to get buccal fat removal as a separate surgery before getting a bimax?

I'm particularly interested to know whether maxillofacial surgeons use the same incision on the inside of the mouth for the upper maxilla as other surgeons do for buccal fat removal. I'm wondering if a maxillofacial surgeon would be reluctant to operate on a patient who had previously undergone buccal fat removal if it meant having to make the same incision. I suspect there might be concerns about the robustness of the underlying soft tissues after multiple surgeries.

For reference, I'm getting submental/buccal fat removal as one procedure early next year, then planning on getting bimax later in the year. I'm gonna raise this with my surgeon during our next meeting but wanted to get some thoughts.

• Woah
Reactions: EverythingMattersCel
better to do at the same time

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6764
Does anyone know whether it is okay to get buccal fat removal as a separate surgery before getting a bimax?

I'm particularly interested to know whether maxillofacial surgeons use the same incision on the inside of the mouth for the upper maxilla as other surgeons do for buccal fat removal. I'm wondering if a maxillofacial surgeon would be reluctant to operate on a patient who had previously undergone buccal fat removal if it meant having to make the same incision

Absolutely not

No it wouldn’t effect being able to have bimax later.

As far as relating to the incision you may be thinking of 2 things:

(1) Sometimes the buccal fat pad is used as a vascularized pedicle to assist in closure of various oral and maxillofacial reconstructions but this is seldom needed in a typical jaw surgery and you can pretty much always go without.

(2) Often the buccal fat pad is disrupted and herniates out during a LeFort I Procedure. Its common to address this by removing the excess and doing the same to the other side so they are equal.

• +1
Reactions: AcneScars, mewcoper, Deleted member 6764 and 1 other person
No it wouldn’t effect being able to have bimax later.

As far as relating to the incision you may be thinking of 2 things:

(1) Sometimes the buccal fat pad is used as a vascularized pedicle to assist in closure of various oral and maxillofacial reconstructions but this is seldom needed in a typical jaw surgery and you can pretty much always go without.

(2) Often the buccal fat pad is disrupted and herniates out during a LeFort I Procedure. Its common to address this by removing the excess and doing the same to the other side so they are equal.
Is buccal fat removal still recommended if you have slightly receded jaw aka need bimax? Or would you prematurely age?

Is buccal fat removal still recommended if you have slightly receded jaw aka need bimax? Or would you prematurely age?
Probably depends on your Zygos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back