Can I still get a teeth gap from maxilla expansion if I have retainers?

D

Deleted member 685

Kraken
@nelson @Golden Glass @Wincel @SayNoToRotting @GoMadAndSTFU

After my braces I got retainers on my front teeth (both up and down) so I'm guessing I'm safe :D But I'm not sure

• +1
Reactions: GoMadAndSTFU
This would be counterproductive. The retainer would be applying force to try to keep your maxilla together. Like I said, if the idea of having a gap for some months bothers you, then just softmax. Your mental state likely won't be able to handle any hardmaxes

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 2227, varbrah and Luke LLL
From MSE im pretty sure you will have a big gap , if not it mean that the expension aint working .

From a palate expander i dont know but i would say no , because i dont even know if non chirurgical palate expansion work past puberty.

Sorry for my english.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 685
This would be counterproductive. The retainer would be applying force to try to keep your maxilla together. Like I said, if the idea of having a gap for some months bothers you, then just softmax. Your mental state likely won't be able to handle any hardmaxes

I'm already done softmaxxing. I'm getting a rhino when I'm 18. I need real looksmaxxing now.

How exactly would the retainers stop maxilla expansion tho? Like it's just keeping the front teeth at it's place and keeping them alligned right.

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite and Luke LLL
I am note even sure if you need to have a gap between your teeth after expansion in the first place. that should only occur after rapid maxillary expansion.

• +1
I'm already done softmaxxing. I'm getting a rhino when I'm 18. I need real looksmaxxing now.
View attachment 241978

How exactly would the retainers stop maxilla expansion tho? Like it's just keeping the front teeth at it's place and keeping them alligned right.
because the teeth are like anchors nailed into your maxilla, and the retainers are trying to keep them close together.

Image a plank of wood. Now imagine trying to pull at each end of the wood plank to tear it in half. If you have a lot of nails on the wood, and there's a very strong rope of metal chain pulling all the nails towards each other, it would be far harder to pull at both ends go the wood plank and try to break it.

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite and Deleted member 685
because the teeth are like anchors nailed into your maxilla, and the retainers are trying to keep them close together.

Image a plank of wood. Now imagine trying to pull at each end of the wood plank to tear it in half. If you have a lot of nails on the wood, and there's a very strong rope of metal chain pulling all the nails towards each other, it would be far harder to pull at both ends go the wood plank and try to break it.
Giphy

• +1
You can still face pull using @nelson 's guides for protraction. But if you expansion your retainers are only going to be working hard to prevent what you're trying to accomplish.
So should I wait till I'm older and go to andreischev in russia?

• +1
Do you think closing the gaps after MSE is making the maxilla smaller at all?

• +1
Do you think closing the gaps after MSE is making the maxilla smaller at all?
No it’s not. Because the teeth aren’t being moved where they used to be, take the two front teeth for example, they are going to a spot that didn’t exist before. And teeth by themselves wouldn’t have enough force to make the maxilla smaller, you’d need extractions, as well as improper oral posture (your tongue is what keeps your palate its current shape and size and prevents it from “shrinking”) as long as it’s being held against the roof of the mouth.

• +1
Reactions: Luke LLL
No it’s not. Because the teeth aren’t being moved where they used to be, take the two front teeth for example, they are going to a spot that didn’t exist before. And teeth by themselves wouldn’t have enough force to make the maxilla smaller, you’d need extractions, as well as improper oral posture (your tongue is what keeps your palate its current shape and size and prevents it from “shrinking”) as long as it’s being held against the roof of the mouth.
Is it possible to get Invisalign with MSE still in to hold the maxilla in place?

Is it possible to get Invisalign with MSE still in to hold the maxilla in place?
Do you mean, after expansion, you’d get invasalign to close gaps, but keep the MSE installed to “solidify” your expansion gains?

• +1
Do you mean, after expansion, you’d get invasalign to close gaps, but keep the MSE installed to “solidify” your expansion gains?
Yes.

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite
Then yes. I’m pretty sure you keep the MSE installed for some time after expansion. Similar to how people who get leg lengthening keep the distractors inside their Fermurs or tibias for some time after distraction is complete, and then get them removed.

• +1
Then yes. I’m pretty sure you keep the MSE installed for some time after expansion. Similar to how people who get leg lengthening keep the distractors inside their Fermurs or tibias for some time after distraction is complete, and then get them removed.
Makes sense, right now I’m working on Invisalign at home with 3d printing

• +1
Reactions: Golden Glass
Makes sense, right now I’m working on Invisalign at home with 3d printing
you have a 3d printer? I don't even know how those work lmao