Can swimming make you lean and toned?

Neptune

Neptune

190cm or ropemaxx (187)
6'1 19 years old with wide shoulders and clavicles but incredibly skinny. I weigh 58kg and have the same arm thickness of a girl, I am too scared to wear any sort of T-Shirt or tank top because I will get musclecucked by 11 year olds. I don't want to look like an ogre but I would say my dream physique is something like this guy below. I have a hyper metabolism and bulking is a pain and I don't want to lose the jawline I worked so hard for. The only benefits of my current body are abs, wide shoulders, and that's it. I see a lot of swimmers are all tall, lean, and have wide shoulders. Can swimming help me achieve this with the combination of lean bulking?

View attachment 2893768

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 11.48.44 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 11.48.44 AM.png
    358.6 KB · Views: 0
Yes, and in fact out of all the sports that exist, swimming is the one that will build muscles that gives you a v-taper the easiest.

Though there is some selection bias, as guys with wide clavicles and 6'3+ bodies naturally win at the sport just by exercising a little. You can't become like them just by swimming a lot.
Swimming is like basketball in that regard; The top guys you see in that sport look that way genetically.

Smaller guys have no way of competing against guys with Matt Grevers or Florent Manadou's natural physique because they gain such a huge speed advantage through their height and reach alone.

Last edited:
  • Woah
  • +1
Reactions: horsefacin and EggKing
Ex swimmer here
You’ll have to swim A LOT, it’s more effective to just lift. If you can do both then good.

• +1
Reactions: normie tiktoker and horsefacin
Lol if you are already skinny why are you trying to achieve a lean and muscular physique by doing a bunch of swimming which is cardio? Just start lifting, eat in a slight calorie surplus. You will get more muscular and stay lean since you are already lean.

• +1
Reactions: horsefacin and Neptune