Can you built muscles on Keto?

TsarTsar444

TsarTsar444

Asexual peaceful balkan monk
Can you? Gonna try to eat in deficit and try to build or at least maintain my current muscles while losing weight. Is keto ok? Not doing keto cause i want to, but carbs have too many calories. Almost all my calories are going to be from protein and fat.
When i start to lean bulk this autumn im going to start carbs

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13787 and Deleted member 7651
it s better for leanmaxxing not building especially on a deficit , although there was a study on elite gymasts who actually built a little muscle on keto deficit , so yeah try to maintain your muscles / weights you lift , you should join the ketogains subreddit and check a guide/get some knowledge cause switching to keto is stressful on the body , inb4 soy .

• +1
Reactions: randomvanish and TsarTsar444
Can you? Gonna try to eat in deficit and try to build or at least maintain my current muscles while losing weight. Is keto ok? Not doing keto cause i want to, but carbs have too many calories. Almost all my calories are going to be from protein and fat.
When i start to lean bulk this autumn im going to start carbs
Yes, just not as fast due to the decrease in insulin levels, insulin is good for building muscles and glucolysis (the proccess in which glucose from carbs is used as energy) which is the best energy system for explosive exercises such as sprinting/lifting heavy weights

• +1
Reactions: TsarTsar444
Yes, just not as fast due to the decrease in insulin levels, insulin is good for building muscles and glucolysis (the proccess in which glucose from carbs is used as energy) which is the best energy system for explosive exercises such as sprinting/lifting heavy weights
So keto is ok for retaining muscles at least on a cut?

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 13787
So keto is ok for retaining muscles at least on a cut?
You can achieve maintenance with any diet that doesn't include trash food and provides enough proteins, keto is no exception, keto is actually superior for endurance sports, some marathoners are known to consume a lot of fat during runs, other consume a combination of fat and sugary drinks during their runs to maintain energy levels. When they are not running they consume a lot of fat and protein, they still consume some carbs though.

Avocados, nuts like cashews, coconut butter and similar other foods are part of the diet of most marathoners.

• JFL
Reactions: datboijj
carbs have too many calories. Almost all my calories are going to be from protein and fat
Tf?? Carbs have 4.1 kcal per gram, same with protein, alcohol has 7 and fat has 9.3 kcal. The thermogenic (calorie-sparing) properties of each macronutrient ranked from highest to lowest are in this order alcohol > protein > carbs > fat

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Yerico7, Melo95 and TsarTsar444
Tf?? Carbs have 4.1 kcal per gram, same with protein, alcohol has 7 and fat has 9.3 kcal. The thermogenic (calorie-sparing) properties of each macronutrient ranked from highest to lowest are in this order alcohol > protein > carbs > fat
Alcohol is so high wtf. Didn't see this before