Can you buy European health insurance when getting surgeries in Europe in case there are any complications post op if you coming from abroad?

Y

yolo23

Iron
If a non European patient is coming to Europe to get surgeries including more complex ones such as jaw surgery, is there any health insurance you could buy in Europe in case there are any complications post op so they will cover the expenses for complications post op in case anything goes bad (including a revision jaw surgery)?

The concern is if the health insurance in your native country will deny covering any expenses if it wasn’t done in your own country or the procedure wasn’t approved by them (because it’s not medically necessary). Is this something European surgeons offices talk about with their international patients during the consultation?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Mr.Proper and Deleted member 19766
No.

• +1
Reactions: WeiWei
So what do you do? You pay it from your own pocket? Or try to use your native country insurance? This could become a serious money pit if things go south.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19766
good question, bump

i guess make sure ur health insurance from USA covers foreign shit?

good question, bump

i guess make sure ur health insurance from USA covers foreign shit?
I doubt they cover foreign shit, that’s what travel insurance is for but it typically doesn’t cover these kind of things. I have been told by a European surgeon that buying a European health insurance is unlikely to work as it won’t cover pre-existing conditions assuming you’re trying to get the medical portion of the surgery (bite/breathing) covered by them, so it’s more about agreeing with the surgeon that he will cover any expenses for a possible revision. The tricky part is how you actually get the surgeon to agree to do the revision, if you even want another surgery with him and him not gas lighting you telling you that you’re ok.

• +1
I doubt they cover foreign shit, that’s what travel insurance is for but it typically doesn’t cover these kind of things. I have been told by a European surgeon that buying a European health insurance is unlikely to work as it won’t cover pre-existing conditions assuming you’re trying to get the medical portion of the surgery (bite/breathing) covered by them, so it’s more about agreeing with the surgeon that he will cover any expenses for a possible revision. The tricky part is how you actually get the surgeon to agree to do the revision, if you even want another surgery with him and him not gas lighting you telling you that you’re ok.
Nah I speak to foreign surgeons and they say u can get them sometimes get them covered depending on ur insurance, u don't even need travel

Nah I speak to foreign surgeons and they say u can get them sometimes get them covered depending on ur insurance, u don't even need travel
Can you elaborate? What insurances can you get?

• +1
Can you elaborate? What insurances can you get?
Nigga many American domestic insurances can and will cover foreign surgery just talk to company and surgeons

i also realize your question is about possible complications post-operation, how do we cover that? which still hasn't been answered it.

i also realize your question is about possible complications post-operation, how do we cover that? which still hasn't been answered it.
I guess it depends if they approve surgery abroad if not I suppose they can deny coverage potentially for post-op complications

• +1
I guess it depends if they approve surgery abroad if not I suppose they can deny coverage potentially for post-op complications
mine doesnt