Custom Implants vs. Chin Wing Osteotomy (details)

Jade

Jade

Banned
VS

Both systems are excellent approaches to having your dream look.

A picture says a thousand words, and the above pictures describe the differences.

However, both have pros and cons, and the key lies in understanding which is best for you. I am referring to PEEK and Non-porous Polyethylene (UHMWPE) for this simple comparison.

Although the name includes the word Chin, Chin-Wing Osteotomy refers to the Jaw and Cheeks too.

First, let's examine a few implant pros and cons.

Implant Pros:
-You can get an oval, square, or whatever look you want for your chin, cheeks, or jaw. There are "no limitations" in terms of look.
-Easily exchangeable.
-Any Plastic or Maxillofacial surgeon has the expertise to do it.
- More control over the outcome (especially regarding the Cheeks)
-Less invasive and faster surgery.

Implant Cons:
-It is not real bone
-You have to be an adult to have them.
-Most doctors charge a whole lot for them.

Now take a look at the Chin-wing pros and cons.

Chin-Wing Pros:
-Natural (although you'll still have metal pieces and screws to hold them in place)
-Permanent (although this can be a con for some)
-They are also appropriate for younger people who are still growing.

Chin-Wing Cons:
- Fewer possibilities and fewer ranges for your look. I.e., if you have a round chin, you'll continue to have a rather rounder chin.
- Fewer ranges for jaw, cheek, or even chin.
- Will develop a mess when the bone binds to the bone.
-Not many doctors can perform this surgery well.
-Can be very expensive as well.

Final thoughts
I have seen some fantastic results with both techniques. For some people who want subtle changes, Chin-Wing is a fantastic approach - it may be all they need.

Custom implants are the way to go if you want more control over your look.

WARNING
Implants and Chin-Wing can often produce obnoxious results too!!!. The reasons are too many to mention in this post but know that for every "nice" picture your doctor shows on Instagram, there are ten that look disagreeable.

Keep this in mind next time someone recommends a doctor to you or whenever you see an attractive result on Instagram. Please feel free to add more pros and cons for both.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, Pumanator, deepweb1298 and 8 others
also, chin wing & genioplasty don't work if you want a square-wide chin.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: AscendingHero, FreakkForLife, StrangerDanger and 1 other person
What about Side Wing osteotomy (Chin Wing without moving the chin forward)? It's said that it doesn't blunt the gonial angle like a Chin Wing, but there's very little info about it on the internet. Obviously not as flexible as a custom made jaw implant but rarely talked about.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: AscendingHero, Virgin at 29 😔 and Jade
View attachment 1756630

Both systems are excellent approaches to having your dream look.
You are a complete bullshitter. This sounds like a basic marketing pitch. You have no actual insight into any of these procedures you talk about, you just share the most basic pieces of information that every has access to, and then tease people as if you know more ("I'm not sure you're ready..." and all that shit). Your comments are just worthless spam.

• +1
Reactions: Oxygen, Deleted member 6764, Slob and 8 others
You are a complete bullshitter. This sounds like a basic marketing pitch. You have no actual insight into any of these procedures you talk about, you just share the most basic pieces of information that every has access to, and then tease people as if you know more ("I'm not sure you're ready..." and all that shit). Your comments are just worthless spam.
Thank you. I'll keep this in mind for next time.

If you do a wide cut genio your lower face will broader because the sides of you chin come forward as well. Sure you can’t get Superman crimson chin type square jaw but you can get a more broad lower third from genio.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: AscendingHero and Jade
What about Side Wing osteotomy (Chin Wing without moving the chin forward)? It's said that it doesn't blunt the gonial angle like a Chin Wing, but there's very little info about it on the internet. Obviously not as flexible as a custom made jaw implant but rarely talked about.
@Jade please answer this bro

• Love it
Reactions: Jade
@Jade please answer this bro
So, Chin Wing is the name given to the technique of cutting the bone bottom rim surface of the mandible. You will get different results if you cut 1/3, 1/2, or the whole thing.

This is a fantastic solution for a lot of reasons. However, there are limitations like the one mentioned in your quote.

The gonial angle can not be manipulated as much, but maybe you don't want a lot.

Unlike custom implants, the doctor performing this procedure is paramount for the final results. Not many doctors can do this well, but the main concern lies in how much you can modify or extend the bones safely.

You do not have to do the chin with the Chin wing method if you don't need to.

What do you want to do?

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: AscendingHero and FreakkForLife
So, Chin Wing is the name given to the technique of cutting the bone bottom rim surface of the mandible. You will get different results if you cut 1/3, 1/2, or the whole thing.

This is a fantastic solution for a lot of reasons. However, there are limitations like the one mentioned in your quote.

The gonial angle can not be manipulated as much, but maybe you don't want a lot.

Unlike custom implants, the doctor performing this procedure is paramount for the final results. Not many doctors can do this well, but the main concern lies in how much you can modify or extend the bones safely.

You do not have to do the chin with the Chin wing method if you don't need to.

What do you want to do?
I just want a longer ramus without disturbing my gonial angle

• Love it
I just want a longer ramus without disturbing my gonial angle
Okay.

In theory, you can do a whole lot with a Chin Wing. You could vertically
extend the ramus, but as you do that, it will also move forward, which is not the ideal look. However, it might look better than what you have now.

But if you don't like the way it looks, now you have a bigger issue because it will be a lot harder to fix.

Why not get a simple and perfectly designed implant that does not give you horizontal enhancements
←→ and spend less for the procedure, do it a lot faster, and if you don't like it, replace it in a flash.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero
Okay.

In theory, you can do a whole lot with a Chin Wing. You could vertically
extend the ramus, but as you do that, it will also move forward, which is not the ideal look. However, it might look better than what you have now.

But if you don't like the way it looks, now you have a bigger issue because it will be a lot harder to fix.

Why not get a simple and perfectly designed implant that does not give you horizontal enhancements
←→ and spend less for the procedure, do it a lot faster, and if you don't like it, replace it in a flash.
Thanks!

I don't like implants as they get reabsorbed to the bone and can even cause bone erosion and other problems.

• +1
Thanks!

I don't like implants as they get reabsorbed to the bone and can even cause bone erosion and other problems.
Sure. You are talking about silicone implants. I would never use silicon implants.

There is plenty of information here where we specifically talk about implants that do not cause the issues you described.

We describe at length the differences and advantages you get with (UHMWPE) or PEEK implants. Spend some time reading about this. You might find it helpful.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero and FreakkForLife
Noob question but i have to ask: if i were to get bimax with genio in the future, can i still get implants around the gonial angle??

• +1
Noob question but i have to ask: if i were to get bimax with genio in the future, can i still get implants around the gonial angle??
Hey bud, don't apologize for being new here. Heck, many of us have been at it for decades and still don't know everything.

Ask away, always.

To answer your question, yes, you can.

However, there is a rather alarming theme in this forum, where many guys think they need "bimax" surgeries for aesthetic purposes only. Bimax surgeries used to be the last resort for mechanical and REAL problems, but now, well, everyone orders them like ordering a pizza.

Why do you need Bimax? Is it a must-have in your situation?

If it is, then, of course, you can always add implants here and there later on. It is common practice to add malar implants to balance the mid-face area after bimax, for example.

Never silicon, though, and always have a warranty on your implants. Ok, that's what I would do! ✌️

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: Tallooksmaxxer and helpmegod
I have a malocclusion class 2 bite, a bit of short face syndrome and obviously a pretty shit jawline even though I'm not fat.

Btw, how much do you think would I end up paying for these, doesn't have to be done in a Western country, I'm from Eastern Europe anyway.

Also thank you so much for taking the time to reply and your in-depth answer.

• +1
I have a malocclusion class 2 bite, a bit of short face syndrome and obviously a pretty shit jawline even though I'm not fat.

Btw, how much do you think would I end up paying for these, doesn't have to be done in a Western country, I'm from Eastern Europe anyway.

Also thank you so much for taking the time to reply and your in-depth answer.
Oh, I do not know how much something like that would cost in your country. However, I am sure some capable surgeons in your home country can do it for you without problems.

Give them a call and ask them. They will order you a CT scan, and you can start having that conversation with them. Likely, they will not suggest implants, and truthfully, I do not know if you need them or not because I have not seen your face.

But if you do need implants, well, come back and ask around here. We know a thing or two about that. 💪

• Love it
Reactions: helpmegod
Sure. You are talking about silicone implants. I would never use silicon implants.

There is plenty of information here where we specifically talk about implants that do not cause the issues you described.

We describe at length the differences and advantages you get with (UHMWPE) or PEEK implants. Spend some time reading about this. You might find it helpful.
So peek implants don't cause resorption and erosion?:feelsgood::feelsgood::feelsgood: wowww,thanks man.

Also,how many years would they last?
And will there be problems if i got in a fight and someone hit my jaw?

And Lastly,Do u have any threads on here or are the any links/websites that talk about it?

Thank u very much broski,i never knew there were different kinds of implants

Last edited:
  • +1
So peek implants don't cause resorption and erosion?:feelsgood::feelsgood::feelsgood: wowww,thanks man.

Also,how many years would they last?
And will there be problems if i got in a fight and someone hit my jaw?

And Lastly,Do u have any threads on here or are the any links/websites that talk about it?

Thank u very much broski,i never knew there were different kinds of implants
Even silicon alone doesn't cause that. Silicone is flexible, and when your muscles move it against your bones, it causes some of the many problems such as erosion.

ANY foreign object in the body causes some issues even if they are "biocompatible." The aim is to minimize most complications.

PEEK or UHMWPE are plastics that will outlast a vampire's life - 1000 years, give or take.

If you got into a fight and got struck hard, no implant or natural bone will be safe in any scenario. Placement and technique for holding the implant are essential.

There are many websites on the interwebs and many threads here where you can learn more.

• Love it
Reactions: FreakkForLife
Even silicon alone doesn't cause that. Silicone is flexible, and when your muscles move it against your bones, it causes some of the many problems such as erosion
Do peek and uhmwpe have this problem too?

• +1
Hey bud, don't apologize for being new here. Heck, many of us have been at it for decades and still don't know everything.

Ask away, always.

To answer your question, yes, you can.

However, there is a rather alarming theme in this forum, where many guys think they need "bimax" surgeries for aesthetic purposes only. Bimax surgeries used to be the last resort for mechanical and REAL problems, but now, well, everyone orders them like ordering a pizza.

If it is, then, of course, you can always add implants here and there later on. It is common practice to add malar implants to balance the mid-face area after bimax, for example.

Never silicon, though, and always have a warranty on your implants. Ok, that's what I would do! ✌️
can i do bimax + chin wing for more forward growth?

I am legit recessed

I am legit recessed
I am not sure if you can do both at the same time, but you can ask your doctor for concrete and accurate answers.

• Hmm...
Reactions: Tallooksmaxxer
I am not sure if you can do both at the same time, but you can ask your doctor for concrete and accurate answers.
Wow, funny how your "insight" is just "I dont' have any information."

Please stop talking. You are a spammer.

Wait, aren't you the same kid from before? I remember you now. lol. What do you want, boy?
Are you aware that "boy" is a racial slur in the United States? It's not one that applies to my background, but I assume you are trying to sound tough but (as always) have no idea what you're talking about.

I want you to cut out this medical fraud, to stop shitting up this forum with your low-quality comments, and to leave before you contribute to a naive person's bad decisions.

• +1
Reactions: NegativeNorwood
Are you aware that "boy" is a racial slur in the United States? It's not one that applies to my background, but I assume you are trying to sound tough but (as always) have no idea what you're talking about.

I want you to cut out this medical fraud, to stop shitting up this forum with your low-quality comments, and to leave before you contribute to a naive person's bad decisions.
Kid, I have nothing for you. I already told you months ago that I won't help you - I can't help you or anyone else. I am not a doctor.

@valhalar @PapiMew

Why not just get a simple chin widening genioplasty with the wedgie technique

I am legit recessed
Definitely not at the same time since you would have to cut your jaw for a chin wing in places that we already cut for BSSO. You need to do a bimax and wait until the bones fuse.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: WagedandReady, Jade and Tallooksmaxxer