Detailed statistical analysis of the age related changes of the male physique

A

averageteen2004

masc maxxing
Hey guys, I recently completed my end of year high school statistics project, or more specifically data

analysis. My topic for the project was the male physique and how it develops with age. I first thought

of this topic due to my experience doing grappling and MMA. What I noticed was the guys that were

say 18-21 looked very lanky and reedy despite exercising regularly and being in good shape, while the

older guys had much more robust builds and were much stronger. Even the mid-twenties guys weren't

as strong as the thirty somethings. This contradicts the scientific wisdom that humans reach

physical maturity at 18.

In order to do a statistical analysis of my topic, I used a data set of over 4000 male army service members.

This data set contained probably 40 different variables for example (Height, Weight, Age, Bicep circumference, base they are stationed at, etc.).

Basically there is a lot of interesting information.

Here are some of my findings.

The graph below shows the average shoulder width of servicemen (Bideltoid width) by Age (Measured in millimeters)

I could not go above age 45 because the sample sizes were too small to be reliable, but I think 45

years old was the peak for male shoulder width. Shoulder width is a great measurement of muscle

mass and bone structure, because most fat settles down in the abdominal region, so men who gain

weight without gaining muscle mass, find their shoulder width to be relatively unchanged. One factor

that caused the rapid jump in shoulder width between 18 and 25 is the continued growth

of the clavicular bone. The clavicle bone is the last "long" bone of the body to cease growth. It usually

continues to grow until 25, albeit at half the rate it did before 18. This was discovered because a lot of

guys would break their clavicle in their early twenties requiring screw fixation and doctors would

notice that every year the screws were further apart.

Overall the increase in shoulder width between 18-45 is about 2 inches. This may not seem like

much, but if you were 50th percentile in shoulder width at 18, by the time you were 45 you would

be 95th percentile, meaning you would be wider than 95 percent of the population.

Post image
Shoulder width (mm) vs Age (years)

Shown below is a picture of Mohamed Ali at 18 years old. Despite being in better shape than 99.9 percent of the population, his shoulders are puny looking.

Post image
A lankly looking Mohamed Ali at 18 years of age

The graph below shows the average wrist circumference of servicemen by age. Wrist circumference is a useful indicator of frame size because it is essentially a measurement of the thickness of your joints. Thicker joints equal a larger and stronger person.

As you can see in this graph, wrist circumference peaks at around 50 years of age. The data after 50 is cloudy, but once again there appears to be a slight slight decline as people generally begin to weaken after that.

I chose this measurement because I noticed that a lot of older guys have strong looking hands and wrists, while a lot of younger guys have wrists that look like toothpicks.

Post image
Wrist Circumference (Inches) vs Age (Years)

Shown below is a graph of the average bicep circumference of a serviceman by age.

As you can see the biceps thicken up quite a bit with age, especially between 18 and 25.

Most of this gain is muscle with a small amount being attributable to fat gain

The average increase in bicep circumference between 18 and 45 is 2 inches.

Post image
Biceps circumference (Inches) vs Age

Finally, as a bonus I compiled a table showing the average heights of servicemen based on the state they originate from.

The five states where the tallest service members originate from are: #1 North Dakota with an average height of 5 foot 11.45 inches,

#2 is Utah with an average height of 5 foot 11.1 inches,

#3 is Wisconsin at 5 foot 10.9 inches,

#4 is Arkansas with an average height of 5 foot 10.87 inches,

#5 is West Virginia at 5 foot 10.8 inches.

Some states were not included due to the sample size being too small

Post image

Average Height Of Servicemen by State Of Origin

Thanks for reading this guys,

Please let me know if there is anything else I can test.

Let me know if you have any anecdotes relating to the data.

I first posted this to reddit btw.

Here's the original: https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/14icqhv/statistics_project_regarding_the_army/

• +1
  • Love it
  • Woah
Reactions: AngryShortMale, Mr. President, grooxx and 15 others
Really well done, did read. Hope you stay around.

• +1
Reactions: Revenge123, grooxx and AsGoodAsItGets
Is 20 inch bideltoid 95% percentile?

On that graph i remember 22 inches was 99%, and 20 inches something like 85%.

• +1
Reactions: lightskinbengali
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20631, Bushman, anticel and 2 others

20 inches is 50th percentile

In shorter countries maybe

22 inches is around 95th percentile

• Woah
Reactions: thecel
The important question about it all: do the studies take Boomer Bias into account?

How do we know whether (a) men’s shoulders keep growing wider well into their 40s or (b) modern men are just less masculine than their ancestors?

• +1
Reactions: Revenge123, MSEinvestigator, PURE ARYAN GENETICS and 1 other person
Bidelt age
Updated bideltoid width graph (converted millimeters to inches)

The graph starts at 18

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: AsGoodAsItGets, anticel and thecel
The important question about it all: do the studies take Boomer Bias into account?

How do we know whether (a) men’s shoulders keep growing wider well into their 40s or (b) modern men are just less masculine than their ancestors?
These guys aren't boomers. They are maybe only twenty years older. Filling out into middle age has happened to humans since the dawn of time, men were always physically strongest in their thirties.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20631, anticel, AsGoodAsItGets and 2 others

Also these guys are in the military, they are being forced to exercise. So the masculinity between generations is similar.

I did see a Slovakian study by a bed manufacturer, that claimed that despite people getting around 15 pounds heavier over the past twenty years, peoples shoulder widths had actually decreased a miniscule amount most likely due to less manual labor, but the difference may have been statistical noise.

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: AsGoodAsItGets and thecel
These guys aren't boomers. They are maybe only twenty years older. Filling out into middle age has happened to humans since the dawn of time, men were always physically strongest in their thirties.

sub-20 is Zoomer.

20 – 29 is Millenicuck/Redditor.

30 – 39 is Coomer.

40+ Boomer.

• +1
Also these guys are in the military, they are being forced to exercise. So the masculinity between generations is similar.

Not behavioral masculinity. Biological masculinity. Males’ T levels decreased.

sub-20 is Zoomer.

20 – 29 is Millenicuck/Redditor.

30 – 39 is Coomer.

40+ Boomer.
Men aren't inherently getting weaker. The average man is, but this is simply due to lack of exercise. Those that do workout are bigger and stronger than men in the past, powerlifting records fall almost every year.

As a matter of fact, the average military recruit today has around 15 pound more lean mass than a recruit at the beginning of world war I

Men in the past were skinnier and smaller than men today.

• +1
Reactions: MSEinvestigator, AsGoodAsItGets and thecel
Not behavioral masculinity. Biological masculinity. Males’ T levels decreased.
Yeah due to lack of exercise some men's T is low. However, men in the military are more jacked than they were even 50 years ago due to more food being available.

• +1
Reactions: thecel and AsGoodAsItGets
Men aren't inherently getting weaker. The average man is, but this is simply due to lack of exercise. Those that do workout are bigger and stronger than men in the past, powerlifting records fall almost every year.

As a matter of fact, the average military recruit today has around 15 pound more lean mass than a recruit at the beginning of world war I

Men in the past were skinnier and smaller than men today.
Yeah compounds are getting more complicated and advanced

• +1
Reactions: thecel
It may be that younger generations are physically larger due to having lower testosterone which would slow growth plate fusion.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: risque_dew, thecel, AsGoodAsItGets and 1 other person
Hey guys, I recently completed my end of year high school statistics project, or more specifically data

analysis. My topic for the project was the male physique and how it develops with age. I first thought

of this topic due to my experience doing grappling and MMA. What I noticed was the guys that were

say 18-21 looked very lanky and reedy despite exercising regularly and being in good shape, while the

older guys had much more robust builds and were much stronger. Even the mid-twenties guys weren't

as strong as the thirty somethings. This contradicts the scientific wisdom that humans reach

physical maturity at 18.

In order to do a statistical analysis of my topic, I used a data set of over 4000 male army service members.

This data set contained probably 40 different variables for example (Height, Weight, Age, Bicep circumference, base they are stationed at, etc.).

The graph below shows the average shoulder width of servicemen (Bideltoid width) by Age (Measured in millimeters)

I could not go above age 45 because the sample sizes were too small to be reliable, but I think 45

years old was the peak for male shoulder width. Shoulder width is a great measurement of muscle

mass and bone structure, because most fat settles down in the abdominal region, so men who gain

weight without gaining muscle mass, find their shoulder width to be relatively unchanged. One factor

that caused the rapid jump in shoulder width between 18 and 25 is the continued growth

of the clavicular bone. The clavicle bone is the last "long" bone of the body to cease growth. It usually

continues to grow until 25, albeit at half the rate it did before 18. This was discovered because a lot of

guys would break their clavicle in their early twenties requiring screw fixation and doctors would

Overall the increase in shoulder width between 18-45 is about 2 inches. This may not seem like

much, but if you were 50th percentile in shoulder width at 18, by the time you were 45 you would

be 95th percentile, meaning you would be wider than 95 percent of the population.

Post image

Shown below is a picture of Mohamed Ali at 18 years old. Despite being in better shape than 99.9 percent of the population, his shoulders are puny looking.

Post image

The graph below shows the average wrist circumference of servicemen by age. Wrist circumference is a useful indicator of frame size because it is essentially a measurement of the thickness of your joints. Thicker joints equal a larger and stronger person.

As you can see in this graph, wrist circumference peaks at around 50 years of age. The data after 50 is cloudy, but once again there appears to be a slight slight decline as people generally begin to weaken after that.

I chose this measurement because I noticed that a lot of older guys have strong looking hands and wrists, while a lot of younger guys have wrists that look like toothpicks.

Post image

Shown below is a graph of the average bicep circumference of a serviceman by age.

As you can see the biceps thicken up quite a bit with age, especially between 18 and 25.

Post image

Finally, as a bonus I compiled a table showing the average heights of servicemen based on the state they originate from.

The five states where the tallest service members originate from are: #1 North Dakota with an average height of 5 foot 11.45 inches,

Post image

Here's the original: https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/14icqhv/statistics_project_regarding_the_army/
"This contradicts the scientific wisdom that humans reach physical maturity at 18" What they mean by physical maturity is that most of the growth has been done, not that all.

Another hypotheses you should consider is that this increase by age is caused by worst hormonal profiles generation after generation and not that its an age related growth.

"Something different happened in castrati. They lacked testosterone, so their growth was slower early on. But the lack of testosterone also meant that the growth plates in their legs did not fuse shut. As a result, they kept growing and growing and growing. Many stood six-foot-three or taller as adults—giants back in the 1700s."

Here is a passage on what happens to growth when you are castrated.

You grow much taller but also much lankier, often with extremely narrow shoulders.

Still you grow much heavier.

Men are partially stronger than women because of testosterone,

However, size is the most important factor in strength which is why these "castrated" men were used as bodyguards.

• +1
Reactions: risque_dew, MSEinvestigator, AsGoodAsItGets and 1 other person
The man on the left is castrated (note the non-existent shoulders), producing very little testosterone.

Sure plenty of men have Low T, but if you truly had low T you would like the guy on the left.

• +1
Reactions: AsGoodAsItGets and anticel
Otherwise, nice job man. Do you mind sharing the army source?

View attachment 2279573 The man on the left is castrated (note the non-existent shoulders), producing very little testosterone.

Sure plenty of men have Low T, but if you truly had low T you would like the guy on the left.
That just shows what zero testosterone would do. Low testosterone gives the proportional effect.

"This contradicts the scientific wisdom that humans reach physical maturity at 18" What they mean by physical maturity is that most of the growth has been done, not that all.

Another hypotheses you should consider is that this increase by age is caused by worst hormonal profiles generation after generation and not that its an age related growth.
I have read it even studies in the 1950's that one strength increases far into ones twenties. It has always been like that.

Just search up ANSUR_II_Male_Public

• +1
Reactions: AsGoodAsItGets
Data from 1951 showing that men get stronger past 18.
Notice that the curve doesn't even flatten, men are growing stronger at a quick rate after 18.

• +1
Great job dude

• +1

Source from 1951 proving my point

physical maturity at 18.

Post image

Post image

Post image

Post image

Post image

Absolute banger thread.

Im 30 and look and feel way different in a better, and stronger way than when I was 18-22.

In my case, collagen and fat loss in my face thankfully simply revealed bones and hollows.

The 18 is your peak is absolute garbage psyop creating a sort of dreading in young men, destroying their ability to enjoy their 20s.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Revenge123, PURE ARYAN GENETICS, MSEinvestigator and 2 others
Old graph bidelt
old graph showing bidet with age also 1951

• +1
Absolute banger thread.

Im 30 and look and feel way different in a better, and stronger way than when I was 18-22.

In my case, collagen and fat loss in my face thankfully simply revealed bones and hollows.

The 18 is your peak is absolute garbage psyop creating a sort of dreading in young men, destroying their ability to enjoy their 20s.

Exactely the same brother :eek:

i will beat the 30y wall in 7 month, but i feel very well, and young foids continue to be attracted, maybe the agepill is cope, i will waiting the 35y old wall for being completely sure :LOL:

• +1
Yes I always wondered why MMA, boxers, bodybuilders and powerlifters peaked around 28-33 if 18 was peak.

• +1
Reactions: MSEinvestigator and blackckatt
Absolute banger thread.

I agree with you man. Mandible continue to grow till 30, your face gets much sharper.

• +1
Reactions: MSEinvestigator and AsGoodAsItGets
Yes I always wondered why MMA, boxers, bodybuilders and powerlifters peaked around 28-33 if 18 was peak.
Fighters would peak later if it wasn't for weight classes.

Since their frame is still growing they grow to larger weight classes and start to do poorly.

They would peak later around 40 if they weren't fighting heavier and heavier guys.

• +1
I knew this . Taller men suffer from low T, which is why you see the tall oofy doofy cuck with women

• +1
Reactions: risque_dew and MSEinvestigator
  • +1
I knew this . Taller men suffer from low T, which is why you see the tall oofy doofy cuck with women
The tall guys are still stronger though. I would rather fight someone 5 foot 8 220 instead of someone 6 foot 3 220, the tall guy will have more muscle. Also height is a dimorphic trait.

• +1
Wtttttfffff ?? really ? do you have proof of that bhai ?

One of the articles is under paywall, but if I remember correctly the soft tissue of the chin thickens with age and the jaw moves forward overtime relative to the forehead with age, but very slightly. Mostly what you have is a thickening and broadening of the jaw not forward growth. The jaw isn't a long bone it can't "fuse".

• +1
Reactions: AsGoodAsItGets and blackckatt

Can you guys upvote the reddit post

• +1
Reactions: lightskinbengali and AsGoodAsItGets
This guy is high iq same as @thecel and @WanderingBurro +1 follow, guys if you want rot on good thread follow them + the OP lol

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: lightskinbengali and thecel
Exactely the same brother :eek:

i will beat the 30y wall in 7 month, but i feel very well, and young foids continue to be attracted, maybe the agepill is cope, i will waiting the 35y old wall for being completely sure :LOL:
Oh, I fucking dreaded that 28-30 year gap. But I was fine. Thankfully my genetics saved me, around the same time I found looksmax.

I also never rotted (in hindsight - I thought because of the media and glorification of instant results, the lack of immediate results was rotting, but I was just working).

Always trained physically in some way but now I run a proper split and diet and improved mentally by learning skills, languages, and a master.

I could have been better at 20 if I had the mindset I have now, and I could've gotten away with lacking in training and diet.

But yeah I partied heavily throughout 18-25 and gave zero shit about looks.

Wtttttfffff ?? really ? do you have proof of that bhai ?
Anecdotally yes. Neck posture training via chin tucks + some tips here absolutely changed my face. Hyoid / submental exposure reduced drastically. My maxilla is still recessed a bit with malocclusion. I'm working on that now.

• Woah
Reactions: blackckatt

One of the articles is under paywall, but if I remember correctly the soft tissue of the chin thickens with age and the jaw moves forward overtime relative to the forehead with age, but very slightly. Mostly what you have is a thickening and broadening of the jaw not forward growth. The jaw isn't a long bone it can't "fuse".
mandible growth occurs but its minimal

Neck
Neck continues to grow thicker into twenties

• +1
Reactions: lightskinbengali and AsGoodAsItGets
mandible growth occurs but its minimal
yeah only like 3 millimeters forward growth relative to the brow, but that is enough for most of the population. a couple millimeters extra forward growth is enough. What most people need is jaw width, which mostly comes from testosterone.

• +1
The tall guys are still stronger though. I would rather fight someone 5 foot 8 220 instead of someone 6 foot 3 220, the tall guy will have more muscle. Also height is a dimorphic trait.
Trained fighters/ fight IQ know that shorter fighters need a different strategy to beat taller fighters. You can't just go in because of their reach.

Very glad to see young men like you take to training bro.

Yeah due to lack of exercise some men's T is low. However, men in the military are more jacked than they were even 50 years ago due to more food being available.
Great strategy using men of a similar training habit and ideal nutrition for the study to close loopholes.

Trained fighters/ fight IQ know that shorter fighters need a different strategy to beat taller fighters. You can't just go in because of their reach.

Very glad to see young men like you take to training bro.
Doing Jiu-Jitsu is what made me make this post, we have all different aged people, and the difference in frames between the guys in early twenties versus thirty's is incredible. The 18-21 year old's are sticks. I am 6 foot 3 220 at 18 and I still look tiny in a GI because my shoulders aren't big. I thought bulking would grow my shoulders, but the only thing that grew was my belly. Even if you gave an 18 year old 5000+ calories and forced him to workout he still wouldn't look wide because his ribcage and clavicles aren't done growing.

• +1
Great strategy using men of a similar training habit and ideal nutrition for the study to close loopholes.
The guy had a good point,

There was a study pointing to a slight decrease in bdelloid width in men

• +1
Hey sorry about the autism man.

You seem like the only well adjusted guy here.

I appreciate you white pilling these guys, most of the guys need guidance.

Most of them are good looking enough to get women, they just have psychological problems.

I used to believe in all this "It's over" shit, but now I am white pilled, and I realized that while looks matter,

Not being a pussy is the most important thing.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20631, blackckatt, lightskinbengali and 1 other person