Did braces and elastics reces my maxilla?

Chinerinooo

Chinerinooo

Knight Of Greycells
Hello!

As a young teenager I used to have braces and elastics to fix an overbite, I recently read on here those can recess you maxilla. Does my face shown signs of a recessed maxilla or am I worrying about nothing?

did u have extractions?

did u have extractions?
Like getting a teeth removed? Well they cut out my wisdom teeth. I never got them pulled out with a clam like pic related though. Or am I misunderstanding?

Attachments

• 76E80E0C-7ECE-43A9-8D33-89E249FF6CB6.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
Moving teeth with rubber bands while you’re growing can potentially recess the alveolar process of the maxilla (not the entire maxillary complex, though) given correction of a large overbite needing a long time wearing bands. For most people with a mild overbite, probably not

Extractions are much more damaging since the no-longer load-bearing portion of the dental arch will resorb.

• +1
Reactions: ROTTING
Moving teeth with rubber bands while you’re growing can potentially recess the alveolar process of the maxilla (not the entire maxillary complex, though) given correction of a large overbite needing a long time wearing bands. For most people with a mild overbite, probably not

Extractions are much more damaging since the no-longer load-bearing portion of the dental arch will resorb.
What's the "alveolar process"? I'm pretty new.

I had a pretty big overbite, but 90 percent of that was fixed with an invisalign before I got my braces and eventual elastics.

I'm still not sure what is meant with "extractions", I never got my teeth pulled but they did cut out my wisdom teeth.

Lastly, do I show signs of a recessed maxilla in the pic I posted?

What's the "alveolar process"? I'm pretty new.

I had a pretty big overbite, but 90 percent of that was fixed with an invisalign before I got my braces and eventual elastics.

I'm still not sure what is meant with "extractions", I never got my teeth pulled but they did cut out my wisdom teeth.

Lastly, do I show signs of a recessed maxilla in the pic I posted?
Google bro. But the alveolar process refers to your arch ie the part of your maxilla that holds your teeth.

Extractions = any tooth removal; cut out, pulled out etc., including wisdom teeth. Nothing to do there though since you presumably didn’t have space for them, save for creating space with an expander.

You’re slightly recessed but within normality. Can’t tell for sure without an x-ray or maybe a smiling pic from the side. Your mandible is obviously on the smaller side, though.

Google bro. But the alveolar process refers to your arch ie the part of your maxilla that holds your teeth.

Extractions = any tooth removal; cut out, pulled out etc., including wisdom teeth. Nothing to do there though since you presumably didn’t have space for them, save for creating space with an expander.

You’re slightly recessed but within normality. Can’t tell for sure without an x-ray or maybe a smiling pic from the side. Your mandible is obviously on the smaller side, though.
Does pic related work?

And do you mean the length of mandible? I've always thought of my jaw as one of my better qualities, at least from the front. Could a genioplasty solve the issue you're describing?

Last edited:
Does pic related work?

And do you mean the length of mandible? I'm thinking of getting that fixed with genioplasty, I've always thought it looked good from the front.
Would need to see teeth and ideally get some better lighting. Seems like you’re biting your cheeks but based on your front pic, soft tissue distribution looks normative so you’re likely not very recessed at all.

Could do with a genio if you want, very reasonable for the side profile but likely wouldn’t be a huge looksmax. Could also decompensate your teeth and do BSSO to skeletally correct your overbite in addition to genio. More bang.

jordan barrett got extractions and still has insane forward growth

• +1
Reactions: ROTTING
Your lower mandible and chin only lacks 8-13mm to become ideal so it s not really your problem. Lower maxilla is maybe .2-3 mm lacking so ok too .

But your biggest failo is your short cranium length. Then your under eye support

Your lower mandible and chin only lacks 8-13mm to become ideal so it s not really your problem. Lower maxilla is maybe .2-3 mm lacking so ok too .

But your biggest failo is your short cranium length. Then your under eye support
Short cranium length? Do you mean the size of my skull? I would argue my head is to big lmao. Could you maybe explain what you mean by this and what I could do to help it?

Yeah I'm getting genioplasty or jaw surgery to fix my mandible length once I've got the money.

My eyes are normally not this bad, but I'm suffering from allergies right now which has made them puffier than normal.

Bumperinoooo

It may not have been the braces tbh. You do look like you have a shortish mandible which requires some movement of maxilla to change during jaw surgery. If you’re not advancing maxilla much you do CCW rotation.

Personally you probably don’t need jaw surgery as people still find that facial structure attractive, but I suppose it would be an improvement. I don’t usually think braces recessed much unless you had them with big facial dental appliances for years at a young age.

Also your cranium is fine lol…

It may not have been the braces tbh. You do look like you have a shortish mandible which requires some movement of maxilla to change during jaw surgery. If you’re not advancing maxilla much you do CCW rotation.

Personally you probably don’t need jaw surgery as people still find that facial structure attractive, but I suppose it would be an improvement. I don’t usually think braces recessed much unless you had them with big facial dental appliances for years at a young age.
Thanks for the insight, yeah I'm still thinking on what surgery to get if at all. At first I was thinking of genioplasty but people here say I would gain more by getting a full on jaw surgery. I don't havs the money yet lmao, so I have time to decide.