Do custom PEEK jaw implants cause settling / erosion?

P

politically correct

Bronze
Hey,

I've seen quite a bit of disagreement on here about whether PEEK jaw implants cause the same settling / erosive effects that silicone chin implants do?

If yes, is it an ongoing process or just a little bit immediately post surgery that then settles and doesnt erode continuously?

Would be keen to hear some discussion on this

Last edited:
Hey,

I've seen quite a bit of disagreement on here about whether PEEK jaw implants cause the same settling / erosive effects that silicone chin implants do?

Would be keen to hear some discussion on this
SOME maxfac surgeons THINK that PEEK and Titan DO NOT cause erosion unlike silicon. This is the primary reason why they use... PEEK and Titan...

• +1
Reactions: Eiei and politically correct
there's a difference between bone resorption and settling

every implant settles some amount, around "few millimeters" is expected
there are some surgeons who claim silicone implants are "evil" and will drill a hole into your scull, that is most cause by improper placement, aka the implant not being fixed correctly

many people with silicone implants who have had them for decades and have no trouble

• +1
Reactions: Oberyn and politically correct
@RealSurgerymax whats your thoughts on this?

• +1
Reactions: Pumanator
@RealSurgerymax whats your thoughts on this?
They both cause a bone imprint

Silicone can still move in certain cases even if it’s screwed down like in large jaw angle implants beneath the masseter muscle.

Peek being rigid, and always custom, is locked down into place by the screws so that’s the advantage.

• +1
Reactions: Eiei, Adrenochrome, NegativeNorwood and 6 others
This stuff is theoretical, but getting a good fit via custom implants will probably matter more than material type.

• +1
Reactions: Oberyn
They both cause a bone imprint

Silicone can still move in certain cases even if it’s screwed down like in large jaw angle implants beneath the masseter muscle.

Peek being rigid, and always custom, is locked down into place by the screws so that’s the advantage.
thanks man, but its not a continuous process? so for example 20,30,40 years from now, you wont lose like 5mm of mandible density?

thanks man, but its not a continuous process? so for example 20,30,40 years from now, you wont lose like 5mm of mandible density?
No. It is NOT continuous.

(If there is no persistent insult like a constantly moving implant, low grade infection)

• +1
Reactions: politically correct
No. It is NOT continuous.

(If there is no persistent insult like a constantly moving implant, low grade infection)
thanks man, I assume if there was a low grade infection I would know about it?

There is clear evidence that silicone does
It is unclear if PEEK (and titanium) causes erosion, and if it does bny how much. Certainly less than silicone anyway.
The rason is thta silicoen isnt screwed to your skull unlike peek (and titanium) and thus there is more friction between bone and the implant.

Nobody on this forum will be able to answer your question.

There is no long term evidence for peek yet.

I would go with peek implants for sure!

• +1
Honestly If the implants are custom designed with exact fitting in consistent with the contours of your mandible I see no reason that it will cause erosion. Settling is possible and will happen with porous implants. Some doctors also deliberately create holes in implant to promote bone ingowth which is good because it prevents any future displacement of implant.With customised PEEK erosion is almost non-existent as I had detailed conversation about it with my MAXFAC

• +1
@Sud7788 @RealSurgerymax do you think it matters/changes if your implant is 1-2mm misplaced?

My right hand side custom peek one is about 1-2mm misplaced, I can feel a tiny notch halfway along my mandible where it meets the mandible but aesthetically makes 0 difference, in the words of my maxfac this is a tiny misplacement and can happen, I messaged eppley about it who seems to think it will make no difference

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg