Do elastics/springs cause maxilla regression?

F

forg123

Iron
The general consensus on this website is that orthodontist appliances that are meant to fix your bite such as elastics and springs can cause maxilla regression.

However I’ve noticed a lack of actual research and merely anecdotes. I was able to find 2 research papers that discussed the affects of these appliances. Feel free to read them for yourself but the first one found that:

Herbst and Class II elastics corrected the molar relationship; but Herbst moved the lower molars more mesially. Apart from an additional mandibular length increase; no other dental and anteroposterior skeletal difference was found. Forsus was more effective in molar correction; overjet reduction; and upper incisor control than Class II elastics.”

The second paper found that:

Incisor relationship and overjet were corrected successfully in all the subjects. Twenty-two patients had a complications-free treatment, while several complications were encountered with the remaining 36 subjects. In particular, mandibular canine rotation and development of posterior crossbites were the most common complications, with percentages of 51.7% and 25.9% respectively. Other complications included the breakage and shearing of the extraoral tubes of the first molar bands, and excessive intrusion of the upper first molars.

So overall, as long as you check in with your orthodontist regularly and make sure they aren’t fucking it up, I believe that these appliances will not fuck up your maxilla in any meaningful way.

Links to articles:

1. https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9741176/

(Disclaimer: I did not read these papers in depth I mostly just read the abstract/conclusions/results, feel free to call me retarded if I missed anything)